Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Firebird LS1 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 Firebird LS1 swap questions

Couple of questions. I should be getting my 02 LS1/6spd next week w/ 18K miles with all accessories. I'm planning on ditching the stock fuel tank and putting my 16 gal. Harwood fuel cell in the trunk, mainly b/c I'm moving the springs in a couple of inches. What would work good for a fuel system? I have access to high pressure hoses and some stainless braided hose and tons of A/N fittings. Second, which headers will allow me to keep my rear steering setup for now until I can replace the whole subframe? I'm probably going to do a cam and head swap as well. What problems will I likely run into with the motor install? I'm just now starting to research the engine swap.

Last edited by Patrolman808; 05-08-2004 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

not sure on the fuel system, as I haven't spec'd that out for my car yet. I had a brand new '69 tank modified with a sump though, and am going to use an in-line pump.

Street and Performance headers fit with the stock steering. They are mid-length type headers. BRP (sponsor here) sells engine mounts that adapt the LS1 to the factory small block chevy pedestals. Not sure if your Pontiac uses those same pedestals. They also sell the T56 cross member that bolts in place.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

I think the chevy pedestals bolt right in place. I'm almost positive the holes are already there. I was looking at BRP this morning actually. Need to contact them for some prices.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

its s&p that sells the adapter plates to mount to the sbc frame mounts, i thought. that is who i am getting them from for my 68 bird ls1 swap. for fuel system, i am gonna use atleast a 14 gallon fuel cell, with a walbro 255lph fuel pump (inline) with the corvette 99+ fuel filter/regulator. and run the return line from the reg. instead of having to run one all the way from the engine bay back. you know that you will have to get your oil pan notched right?!? that is what will make it so you dont have to change your steering. any other questions feel free to ask.

daniel
Old 05-08-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea I am looking at S&P's catalog right now. I'm gonna get one of their oil pans and pulley kits b/c my car doesn't have A/C or P/S. The only option it has is disk brakes. So all I need now is the alternator and waterpump to be driven off the motor. Might add the rest later when the funds allow it.

Quick Reply: 69 Firebird LS1 swap questions