Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Kia Sorento - 6.0L Ly6 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI the exhaust manifolds can be cut and welded with something simple as a MIG welder. Do some research, time and time again people are cutting and welding em with no issues whatsoever. I just did it myself on my swap. Youd almost sware it was cast steel not iron. Lookin good man, love the progress
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you loosing the AC?That will help with keeping the rad cooler.All this heat and humidity out here dictates that I keep the AC when I do my LS swap.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Envy
The 2 manifolds would be a LS6 CTS-V and 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck manifold, which may need to be modified a little bit.
Envy - I have a set of 6.0 truck manifolds. They came on my engine. I had tried them in the original positioning of the engine... Then i found out how much i could move it after i fit the engine in WITH the trans bolted on. I can try that one again. I am pretty sure it slammed right into the shaft before. However, worth a look again. Same goes for LS6.

Originally Posted by autocomman
FYI the exhaust manifolds can be cut and welded with something simple as a MIG welder. Do some research, time and time again people are cutting and welding em with no issues whatsoever. I just did it myself on my swap. Youd almost sware it was cast steel not iron. Lookin good man, love the progress
I will look that up... I have the gear to do it with. That would be sweet if i could! I DO have an extra set to try on too...

Originally Posted by BlueMaxCougar
Are you loosing the AC?That will help with keeping the rad cooler.All this heat and humidity out here dictates that I keep the AC when I do my LS swap.
For now, yes. I dont want to... Freakin NE Ohio summers are muggy as sin thanks to good old Lake Erie being literally right up the road. I may add the AC back in down the road. I was wondering what would happen if i sandwiched them together like this.....

{FAN} {AC Condenser} {FAN} {Radiator}
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great progress man! Keep it up. Good luck with all the medical stuff! Get healthy and then get to work! Can't wait for the first run video!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks man... Trying to get her done. I want to get her out before the snow flies
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

This build is just so "wrong" that it's AWESOME... Good luck with the build & the health stuff - I just recently recovered from an injury that pretty much sidelined me for the better part of a year, so I can definitely sympathize with ya there... (And yeah, I DO kinda wish that you'd make it really quiet - maybe with electric cutouts - so that you could retain the "WTF??!?" factor...)

Oh - and I completely agree with the agree with the "doing donuts at the dealership" suggestion... Can't wait to see this on the road!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 PM
s30
10 Second Club

updates?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Come AWN damnit!!!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Sick project! It looks right at home.

What happens when you get a sticker? Do they not plug into the obd2 port?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In...this is hilariously awesome.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

In for the finish line & feel better.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
Sick project! It looks right at home.

What happens when you get a sticker? Do they not plug into the obd2 port?
In Summit county they just plug in and check for codes and readiness monitors on the generic side. I'd assume his E-check is similar.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:27 PM
s30
10 Second Club

Updates?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I have not been on in forever guys. We been through a ****-storm. Dealing with being off balance and nerve/physical pain from this MONSTER cyst I have really has sucked. Our landlord decided not to renew our lease because she was worried about getting paid rent because I was off work from the issues.... Totally horrible thing to do. We always paid our rent on time too! So I sold my MINT low mile 02 Mustang GT and we finally bought a house. Its not very big but the garage is great! I haven't gotten to work on the Kia due to the health issues and BRUTAL cold here in NE Ohio. I need to get some heat in the garage! Anyone want to donate a Kerosene/Diesel heater? LOL!!

I got some pics of the Sorento in the new garage. Here she is after the move... Being used as storage inside. We just got the garage cleaned out. It was SO full of boxes.

The engine is still in there... lol

After having the engine in there for a WHILE and taking a long ride down the freeway the front is STILL sitting HIGHER then stock with the V8 and 6 speed trans installed! I even have the radiator in. The only thing she is missing is a few gallons of coolant and the transfer case. The transfer case doesnt weigh much. Its a NP231 aluminum unit from a late model Wrangler.
In the end I may have to do some spring cutting to get the front to the right height. LOL. I am honestly STUNNED that it is sitting front high. The engine MAY weigh more then the Kia 3.8L BUT the Kia transmission is SO heavy! The GM unit is VERY light!

Check out the rocker to wheel center difference.

Another angle..

Sorry for being gone so long. Hope to be able to do more recent updates.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation and having to move unexpectedly.You'd think someone that pays their bills that the landlord would work with them until they got things straightened out.I hope you get well soon.I know I went through hard times with ex-wife when she had multiple cysts on her ovaries.

Now about cutting those springs.I would raise the rear and go up a tire size or two.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlueMaxCougar
Sorry to hear about your situation and having to move unexpectedly.You'd think someone that pays their bills that the landlord would work with them until they got things straightened out.I hope you get well soon.I know I went through hard times with ex-wife when she had multiple cysts on her ovaries.

Now about cutting those springs.I would raise the rear and go up a tire size or two.
Thanks for the love man!! Yeah we were pretty upset and stunned too... They really financially hurt us more then if we would have stayed there! Despite selling my Mustang for $6,000 we had to borrow some money to get the moving van and stuff... Really sucked.

I was only planning on cutting the springs to figure out a desired ride height. To make sure everything still runs/rides straight. I plan on ordering springs for it. I wanted to get it a little lower so the CG isn't too high. Want to be able to drive it kinda hard with no worries. Maybe take it to an AutoX just for fun.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Hopefully this cold will pass over the weekend. I've been letting my car sit as well and I have heat.

Last edited by i r teh noobz; 03-01-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Don't drink and internets
Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody will get more upset if its sitting lower, what a stupid comment. Sounds like something a 16 yr old would say.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Teching In

bad *** swap, nice work man, looking forward to seeing it finished. get well soon!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BadRabbit
Maybe take it to an AutoX just for fun.
Definitely do this! And have someone video it, the looks on everyone's faces would be priceless!

Quick Reply: 2007 Kia Sorento - 6.0L Ly6 Vortec