Sponsored by:

2007 Kia Sorento - 6.0L Ly6 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Kia Sorento - 6.0L Ly6 Vortec

The History;
We bought our Sorento in 08' with 7k on it. I wanted something else, anything else... I was rather un-enthused when the dealer at the Mitsu dealership mentioned a "Kia SUV"... I scoffed that I was looking for something with power and that could tow and get out of its own way. He re-assured me and told me to drive it. MAN was I stunned. This little Korean thing had *****... and not just "oh its quick" *****... It had "rice boy eating" brass ***** (proven literally multiple times).
If thats not enough she went through 3 accidents and came out the victor by a landslide!
Fast Forward;
So first off Mentor Kia's service department in Mentor Ohio can go pound salt... They suck, well, at least the douchebags I dealt with before they changed their dealership around. These worthless halfwits were as useless as a poopie flavored lollypop. We had the car there after one accident that messed up the seat latches and triggered the active head rests. The moron came out and looked at my headrests that were at a 45* angle forward. He told us nothing was wrong with the seats OR the headrests... All I wanted was them to fix it and be PAID by the lady that hit us' insurance company!! We also asked about the sound the engine makes after startup for a while and were pointed to a TSB about chain noise (its normal he said). Another time we needed the door handle (that fell apart) to be fixed under warranty... My wife called constantly and the guy kept blowing her off, telling her it was on order, or it was going for paint, or this or that, or that, or whatever. When she took it to them to look at it that time she also mentioned the engine noise, blown off again. Yet again (actually 3 times) we had to take the car to have some switch or WTF ever replaced because the dome light would stop working. They also did the stop switch recall. Mentioned the engine sounds.... Just the TSB again.
Let me tell you this much IF YOU HAVE A 3.8L ENGINE... in your Kia and it makes ANY NOISE that can be fluffed off as some HORSE-POCKY TSB then you need to INSIST that they do something about it. This sound is your timing chain beating the living HELL out of its guides. I have pictures AND video of the horror inside the timing system that that causes when ***-hat dealerships ignore your persistent concern. My guides were shaved down through the "plastic" slides and into/through the aluminum guide holders. Hell the TOP guide was SAWN OFF by the chain! It even wrecked the front cover, destroying the seal oil catch around the front main.

After buying new everything from chains and tensioners, to the front cover itself (stealership) I re-assembled the engine.

It ran like a top...

...for 2 days...

My wife called and said it started running bad like before (skipped a tooth on the cam gear finally after all the wearing). She said as she was pulling over the oil light came on and then she shut it off...

...My wife now holds the record for the amount of various sized pieces a single piston can be converted into...

After tearing off the intake (to see if something went catastrophic with the cam timing) I heard a rattle... Not any sort of good one... Like filling the tin-man with hex-nuts and pushing him down a flight of stairs...

What was in there? Piston... Yeah... In my intake manifold. Pieces of piston and even a section of oil wiper ring.
Here is what i shook out...

Well... I knew what that was right off the bat. So I knew I had to make a move. I wanted to see what the damage really was, and size up my contribution to the scrap yard also so I pulled the engine and found this...

Now what?
So now what? The local yards have 3.8L ALL with 80k or around that (same mileage that mine went BOOM at) for like 3,000 or more. A rebuilt one is almost 5,000.. Yeah... um... go take a long jog off a short pier! I need another option!

The Engine
So I was looking at what to do... This engine, that engine, what, who, where, size, shape, so on. Ive done 3800 SuperCharged Series II (OBDI and OBDII) Pontiac Fieros and a V8 or two also.
I put a bunch of thought into an LT1 because they are cheap-ish and easy to find. I decided that for the power output it was kind of a wash with the stock 3.8L. Lame. So I looked up the LS blocks. Cheap-ish and good power. A LOT of aftermarket.
I did a lot of researching! Hell you can get turn key harnesses for a couple hundred bucks online!
I was talking to a buddy of mine, he mentioned the Vortec blocks. They arent MUCH heavier then the aluminum LS blocks. You can get MORE engine for the money. They make a HOLY HELL ton of power.
After some looking I made the choice...
The GM Ly6 engine.
(This info "borrowed" from the GM Powertrain site)
Specifications
© 2008 General Motors Corporation
PRINTED IN U.S.A. 01/31/08
www.gmpowertrain.com
GM Powertrain
Type: 6.0L V8 (LY6)
Displacement: 364 cid (5967 cc)
Engine Orientation: Longitudinal
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
Valve Configuration: Overhead Valves
(2 valves per cylinder)
Assembly Site: Romulus, Michigan
Valve Lifters: Hydraulic Roller
Firing Order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3
Bore x Stroke: 101.6 X 92 mm
Bore Center: 111.76 mm
Bore Area: 648.59 cm2
Fuel System: Port Fuel Injection
Fuel Type: Regular Unleaded
Horsepower:
385 hp (287 kW) @ 5600 rpm
Torque:
400 lb-ft (542 Nm) @ 4400 rpm

Fuel Shutoff: 5600 rpm
Engine Mass: 539 lb (245 kg)
Emissions Controls: Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV)
Materials:
Block: Cast Iron
Cylinder Head: Cast Aluminum
Intake Manifold: Composite
Main Bearing Caps: Powder Metal
Crankshaft: Cast Iron with Undercut and Rolled Fillets
Camshaft: Steel
Connecting Rods: Forged Powder Metal

¶Cast iron deep-skirt cylinder block with six-bolt
main bearing caps that limit crankshaft flex and
stiffen the engine’s structure
¶Cast aluminum structural oil pan for additional
rigidity
¶High flow aluminum cylinder head design
¶Variable valve timing using a hydraulic cam phaser
to retard cam timing for low end torque and
advance cam timing for high rpm horsepower
¶Steel camshaft, hydraulic roller lifters, and steel
roller rocker arms for reduced friction and excellent
durability
¶Returnless fuel injection with stainless steel fuel rail
¶Electronic Throttle Body fully compatible with
electronic throttle control software in the MEFI-5
engine control module
¶Coil-near-plug ignition system with 58X crankshaft
position encoder, 4X cam sensor, and dual flat
response knock sensors for precise control of
ignition timing under all operating conditions
¶Iridium tip long-life spark plugs with improved “selfcleaning”
properties which decrease the potential
for plug fouling
¶External water crossover integrated into the water
pump casting so that no coolant flows through the
composite intake manifold
¶Inconnel (high temperature) exhaust valves for
long-term durability
¶Revised cam phaser for improved idle quality
¶Shallow sump oil pan for marine applications
¶Floating pin pistons which reduce noise and
increase durability
¶Heavy-duty timing chain with a new leaf spring
dampener to ensure quiet operation and long-term
durability
SO... why? Hell... Why not? There is a TON of room in the Sorento engine bay. The GM trucks have a monstrous obnoxious independent independent front 4wd suspension just like the Kia. Oh and if your a power hungry mad-man... you can swap out the VVT cam and put down 500hp! WTF!

So if you think its sweet... stay tuned... if not thats cool... trolls can go back to World Of Warcraft in your moms basement. LOL!
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

The Tear Out And Engine Bay
So I wanted to see how much room there is... Its surprising how much there really is. With the radiator out the v6 looks microscopic!

Here is a shot from underneath. You can see how much space is between the heads and the firewall. The Oil filter housing and the coolant tubes are MASSIVE!!!

This is the other side

Here is the drivers side between the engine and frame/body

Here is the bay all emptied out...

In closing for now... Here is my partner in crime... My 7 year old son Zach. He was all about taking the engine apart!! He wanted the Dirty Harry picture with my 3/8 battery impact that he was using! LOL!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like where this is going! talk about a sleeper!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like it should fit.

I'll be watching this one.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Mother Of God! lol More power to ya....Literally!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Was scrolling down to my thread, saw Kia Sorento, and zipped right in here

This should be fun!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

I cant wait to see this bad boy!!! It will be really cool to see it roasting the rear tires!!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 AM
TECH Regular

Haha, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Good luck man!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, you'll have the only LS swapped one I would bet. Not to be a dick, but the absolute worst car I've ever had the unfortunate chance to turn a wrench on was a Kia, complete and total piece of crap, and it only had 50k on it. Personally, I think I would find something better to sink my money into, but to each his own, I'm sure some people don't think my cars are worth what I've put into them. Whatever you do, PLEASE keep this thread updated, as I really want to see the outcome of this. Good luck my man!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS Kia!

Haha, this will be interesting! And with a proper exhaust system; quite the sleeper! It looks like you should have adequate room in the engine bay...but what about the transmission? Is there room for a 4L80E? What about a T-case? And can the Kia axles handle 400hp?

I'm not being a nay-sayer, I would just hate to see an awesome genre-smashing project like this get on a roll...and slam into a brick wall that requires major chassis/body surgery and piles of money and time.

This iis all just food for thought, I really want to see this one succeed. Hell, when you are finished I think 4WD donuts in the parking lot of that damn dealership would be a proper celebration!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in! since I aquired My lq4 swapped fox I have been secretly wanting to ls swap my wifes Mountaineer!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

I can agree with you on the quailty of some of the Kia Sorentos. Back in 2006 when gas was shooting up I purchased one for my wife. Since the truck was 2 weeks old it started blowing headlights and brake bulbs (atleast 2 a month).

One day the harmonic balancer just fell off, google "kia sorento balancer bolt". Kia wanted $2000 to fix it.... I told them to "F" off.... I fixed the Kia myself but now it just sits in my driveway, my wife is affraid it will leave her stranded again.

I had the same thought just pull that 'Kia Krap' drivetrain out and drop in a 5.3 but I have too many projects going on right now. Looking foward to seeing your project....
Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Thats crazy. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Well I know for a fact the stock KIA crap will run a consistent 15.5 in the 1/4 until it breaks. And the weight balance is favored in the back (when jumped the front always kicked up so the landing was hairy) so maybe the ly6 will help to balance it out. I can see it doing wheelies.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

I will be watching this one!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if all else fails, swap in an 8.8 and make the rear suspension 4 link..
Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the positive reactions and outlook!

Should be fun and evil... I am shopping motors right now. Found a few here and there... One was in an accident truck with LOW miles but had a sensor broke off and it needs an oil pan. Was a crank but no start... Not sure if that is something worth getting into...
They say it has a 90 day warranty but I cant guarantee I will have it to the point I can pass blame to them if it doesnt run.
If anyone has any suggestions of trustworthy shops im all ears!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Well, you'll have the only LS swapped one I would bet. Not to be a dick, but the absolute worst car I've ever had the unfortunate chance to turn a wrench on was a Kia, complete and total piece of crap, and it only had 50k on it. Personally, I think I would find something better to sink my money into, but to each his own, I'm sure some people don't think my cars are worth what I've put into them. Whatever you do, PLEASE keep this thread updated, as I really want to see the outcome of this. Good luck my man!
I havent had to do much to it... Ours has 80k and aside from the timing system its been pretty good. I will say that when I pulled the timing apart I was impressed that, unlike most of the GM cars Ive worked on you can get to all the wiring bracket hold down bolts WITHOUT cutting off the wiring ties LOL. I had access to ALL the bolts with out needing specially bent wrenches or homemade tool debotchery.
Im sure that situation will change with the v8 in it though.
I really need the car back because I have 3 little minions and we need the space. It will just have a few power advancments.. lol

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
Haha, this will be interesting! And with a proper exhaust system; quite the sleeper! It looks like you should have adequate room in the engine bay...but what about the transmission? Is there room for a 4L80E? What about a T-case? And can the Kia axles handle 400hp?

I'm not being a nay-sayer, I would just hate to see an awesome genre-smashing project like this get on a roll...and slam into a brick wall that requires major chassis/body surgery and piles of money and time.

This iis all just food for thought, I really want to see this one succeed. Hell, when you are finished I think 4WD donuts in the parking lot of that damn dealership would be a proper celebration!
I dont know how big the 4L80E is honestly... Its got a GOOD bit of room. I dont WANT to do it but i can lift the body if needed. It sits on pucks just like a full framed truck.
If the 4x4 trans is too big I can use a trans similar to what people use when they stuff them in a Camaro or Touring car. Hell... If they fit in a BMW, I KNOW I have more room, I had a 95 3 series lol.
As for the axles BigEd read my mind (see his comment below)
4wd roundy rounds... I like your style LOL!

Originally Posted by sick_46
Im in! since I aquired My lq4 swapped fox I have been secretly wanting to ls swap my wifes Mountaineer!
That would be sweet! How does she feel about that LOL! How do you like the Lq4? There are a BUNCH of those engines going around... There is a chance that if things dont line up i could end up going that route instead.

Originally Posted by tonypaul
I can agree with you on the quailty of some of the Kia Sorentos. Back in 2006 when gas was shooting up I purchased one for my wife. Since the truck was 2 weeks old it started blowing headlights and brake bulbs (atleast 2 a month).

One day the harmonic balancer just fell off, google "kia sorento balancer bolt". Kia wanted $2000 to fix it.... I told them to "F" off.... I fixed the Kia myself but now it just sits in my driveway, my wife is affraid it will leave her stranded again.

I had the same thought just pull that 'Kia Krap' drivetrain out and drop in a 5.3 but I have too many projects going on right now. Looking foward to seeing your project....
Thats sheit man... Damn... There is a recall for those bolts now! I heard about it. The 3.8L doesn't have that issue like the other motors did, or so the recall said... The brake bulb thing is funny now that you mentioned it. Ive popped my drivers side one more often then i think it should have. I paid no mind though because my wife drives it and i forgot about it until i read your post.

Originally Posted by v8sten
Well I know for a fact the stock KIA crap will run a consistent 15.5 in the 1/4 until it breaks. And the weight balance is favored in the back (when jumped the front always kicked up so the landing was hairy) so maybe the ly6 will help to balance it out. I can see it doing wheelies.
"when jumped"

how dare you make that statement with out a description OR a picture! LOL!

You had a Sorento that ran 15.5? I was wondering what they ran?

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
if all else fails, swap in an 8.8 and make the rear suspension 4 link..
basically what i was thinking. They have a stupid **** axle ratio of 3.333:1 though and NO available gear change outs. Not sure what I would do for the front if it stayed 4wd... I suppose a front housing swap wouldnt be impossible.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club

We had fun in the one I had. Didn't have it long though. My friend is a bracket racer and he asked if he could borrow it cause his racecar was hurt. So of coarse I said yes with one stippulation, if the motor was running it had to be to the floor. > So the left off the "trans brake" around 5000rpm. When the motor started to knock we wiped the numbers off and drove it to the jump and has some fun until the KIA thought it was in an accident and went into limp mode.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in....
Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Update...

Ordered the engine, trans, harness,and ECU for her yesterday.
It is from an 09 Silverado 4x4. It had 17k on the clock. I got it all for 3,500$

There is no turning back now! Lol

Quick Reply: 2007 Kia Sorento - 6.0L Ly6 Vortec