Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor dies when making a quick stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiropaul
With Christmas and my practice I've been super busy, but I should finally get time to wire up the relay tomorrow and give it a shot. I will let everyone know as soon as I try that.

I'm running a th400 with an internal VSS btw. The pcm has been throwing two trans related codes P1810 and P1860. Which kind of pisses me off since my tuner knew I was running a TH400 and I assumed they would have tuned the pcm for a manual. Btw the tune is a mail order from Texas Speed to get the car rolling.
Ok, so now I'm confused. Youre running a turbo400? What's an internal VSS? On the brake switch, rather than wiring up a relay, you could just get a brake switch from a 70's or 80's GM car with cruise and use the normally closed set of contacts on it, but not running a lock uo torque converter I wouldn't think you would need it at all.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Ok, so now I'm confused. Youre running a turbo400? What's an internal VSS? On the brake switch, rather than wiring up a relay, you could just get a brake switch from a 70's or 80's GM car with cruise and use the normally closed set of contacts on it, but not running a lock uo torque converter I wouldn't think you would need it at all.
Sorry I may have said it wrong. My TH400 originally came witha cable driven speed output. I put in a different reluctor ring and sensor that outputs the VSS signal to the computer. I'll see if they have the switch at orielly auto if not I'll just try the relay everyone is talking about.

Someone earlier asked if I was running drive by wire or cable. I'm running drive by cable.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Ahhh, gotcha. Do you have a way to check that the VSS is working? Scanner, HPTuners ect?

Also I wouldn't think you should need the brake switch hooked up without a lock up TC or electronic trans, but couldn't hurt I guess. The ACDelco part number is D850a, but you can cross that number with other brands.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem has got to be with low fuel in the tank. I was running the exact same setup but using the stock tank in my s-10, NEVER had the vss hooked up, never had the brake wire connection hooked up either, and I drove it all over the place hard accelerating, quick stops, short stops, throttle goosing, and nothing at all. Never died on me. And I did everything to toss the gas around in that tank.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this happen, but it was due to not having my VSS hooked up as I was running a th350.

After getting a pulse generator from Dakota Digital, it no longer hesitates upon braking.

Most people say its not the problem and other do. I'm just saying that $40 part is what fixed my problem.

Just my .02 cents!

Pat
Old 12-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Ive talked to a few tuners and have been told that the vss can be tuned out
Old 12-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Default Stall

Clean the throttle body real good some times a ridge of carbon develops and stalls the car. On decell, good luck.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 406chvycamaro
Ive talked to a few tuners and have been told that the vss can be tuned out
Anything be done... Questions... Do you want too ? For a race car... Might not hurt..or even be needed.

But on a street driven car... It might not hurt too much... But it most likely adds more to the drivability functions. Just an opinion...

BC
Old 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
The problem has got to be with low fuel in the tank. I was running the exact same setup but using the stock tank in my s-10, NEVER had the vss hooked up, never had the brake wire connection hooked up either, and I drove it all over the place hard accelerating, quick stops, short stops, throttle goosing, and nothing at all. Never died on me. And I did everything to toss the gas around in that tank.
So in the end the problem seems to be fuel level related. I have not got around to hooking up the Brake Switch yet, but I have made it a point of keeping the tank over 1/2 way full and there has been no issue with it stalling when I come to a quick stop.

I may FINALLY get a chance to do the brake switch this weekend and if I do that I will purposefully let the tank go below 1/2 and see what happens. But that pump whines like a **** when braking and the tank is low. I'm also going to reroute my fuel return line to the top of my tank (currently going into the sump where the fuel exits as well). There is probably too much turbulence there affecting pumping.

Once I get the Brake switch hooked up I'll report back any changes. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread!!!!

Quick Reply: Motor dies when making a quick stop