Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Electronic Throttle Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Binding mechanical issue is the only cause of busted teeth that I am aware of. If it is high mileage it may have just worn out. Yes, the PCM does a test upon turning on the ignition switch it's to verify proper operation (no Prius incidents) and to clear off any possible ice or crud from the blade under some extreme low temperature conditions to prevent over idle speed conditions. It's described in the factory shop manual. If you remove the intake elbow and look at the blade, then have someone turn on the key you will see the exercise process as the butterfly opens and closes.

If the car fails the test it will go into limp or reduced power mode like you stated. That's normal with a malfunction. This also occurs when over zealous tuners start messing with the electronic throttle settings in the PCM file. Exceede the internal limits and the car goes into limp mode and all you get is 18 percent throttle.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Hex Hacker
II would hate to have someone brick a PCM and then need to have someone unbrick it.
Too late. This is how I know it won't work. If you have found out a way to tune them so they will work, you should have said that in your first post rather than saying that they just work without issues.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

The v6 and 4 cylinder pedals have different resistance values that send different closed and open throttle voltages to the PCM and when used with the v8 calibration will set obd2 codes and sometimes limp mode and obd2 codes.

E40 ecu will not work with the Lokar pedal unless wired correctly. Found this out with the turbo 69 Camaro we did. Swapped in a 08 truck pedal for testing since the connector is the same and reviewed the scanner data. Throttle opening voltages did not correspond with needed voltages so car would not accelerate.

I have tons more incompatibility examples and simply restating parts store interchangeability does not mean most parts function correctly.

Last edited by aknovaman; 12-28-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
The v6 pedals have different resistance values that send different closed and open throttle voltages to the PCM and when used with the v8 calibration will set obd2 codes and sometimes limp mode and obd2 codes.
Ahhhh.... Thanks aknovaman. Yet another limit on the "most" comment by the original poster. Sounds like it is about to be paired down to "your best bet is using what came with the engine, harness and PCM or a same year vehicle just like it..." just like I mentioned several posts ago on the first page. I thought this was all figured out and there was a magic bullet I missed somewhere.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Hey Eric, remember that day we spent swapping 20 or so parts, files and PCm's cause they would not interchange? What an education that was.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I need to state a little more.

I have over 2500 tune files in my repository, so I am not a rookie
I have several SAE documents on GM's TAC system. This is great information to have
I have GM engineering documents on the TAC system. This is even better information
The software I use on the 1 meg PCM has over 160 ETC parameters not including DTC's. Out of that 160 it has over 60 diagnostic parameters. This would include some of the voltage tables for the APP and TPS. This is how I learned how to do it

HPT will add parameters now without a huge delay
HPT has added parameters for the fuel gauge output from the PCM
HPT is adding all of the needed Knock Sensor Parameters to run the LS2 sensor on a older PCM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Hey Eric, remember that day we spent swapping 20 or so parts, files and PCm's cause they would not interchange? What an education that was.
Sound like you needed more information than you have
Old 12-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Too late. This is how I know it won't work. If you have found out a way to tune them so they will work, you should have said that in your first post rather than saying that they just work without issues.
You can always get them fixed. It does not cost very much to unbrick a PCM.

I have NEVER bricked a 99 to 2010 LS/truck PCM
Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

So am I understanding you correctly?

As of now, you have the ability to view and edit the actual hex code to see the differences and change them between various PCM files including the DBW limits and it's requirements to prevent limp mode or reduced power mode. So with the upcoming hp tuners capability, everyone will be able to edit the parameters so a physically smaller v6 style pedal can be used with any PCM.

Eric and myself gained a vast amount of knowledge interchanging parts years ago.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Teching In

So am I understanding you correctly?

As of now, you have the ability to view and edit the actual hex code to see the differences and change them between various PCM files including the DBW limits and it's requirements to prevent limp mode or reduced power mode. So with the upcoming hp tuners capability, everyone will be able to edit the parameters so a physically smaller v6 style pedal can be used with any PCM.

Eric and myself gained a vast amount of knowledge interchanging parts years ago.
I am using a off the shelf tuning software with an additional program sold by that company.

Again I will get with Bill and let him know what parameters need to be added.

I was just out running a test to set faults. The way I have it setup it will not go into REP with the engine running. KOEO it will.
When I set a fault I simply return the APP to 0 and it resets.
Currently I when the wrong way and about 1/4" = 80% and 1/2 " = 137% APP. When the TAC sees over 100% for a set duration it closes the throttle (in my test mode).

What would parts swapping do if you can not see the calibration in the PCM?

One question that has came up for years is if you get this part from that vehicle and that part from another vehicle and all of the part numbers match what the parts catalog shows why does it go into REP? Then you get an new part from the dealer and it works. It must be the magic smoke in the TAC module. I don't think so.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Sound like you needed more information than you have
You mean 'had'. No **** Sherlock, but iwhere were you with this info 3 years ago? If youve figured out a way for everything to work, great, but don't come on here with your derogatory comments putting people down. But let me see if I understand you correctly, without your new tuning advances, there is incompatibility issues that can happen? Because that's what everyone is saying. I said it before and I'll say it again, you should have started this thread by saying there are new options that will be coming out that will help with compatibility issues.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Teching In

You mean 'had'. No **** Sherlock, but iwhere were you with this info 3 years ago? If youve figured out a way for everything to work, great, but don't come on here with your derogatory comments putting people down. But let me see if I understand you correctly, without your new tuning advances, there is incompatibility issues that can happen? Because that's what everyone is saying. I said it before and I'll say it again, you should have started this thread by saying there are new options that will be coming out that will help with compatibility issues.
The options are here and have been available to many tuner shops for years.

I guess the issue to has been with HPT.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Teching In

A little off of the topic

HPT has hired 2 new engineers to work on software. This has allowed for them to free up someone to add parameters. EFILive has had the CAX to do you own, but with what HPT is doing they might come out the new leader in the tuning software market.

In my opinion and many others HPT has been like Apple. Great for beginners and great graphics. but limited in many areas. HPT has the software locked down in a manor that is not preferable to many tuners, I am not a segment swap fan at all. I think it is a huge mistake. HPT's software will not allow for the swaps by users. I feel that HPT will add parameters that will make segments swaps a thing of the past. I see them turning a corner
Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

The options are here and have been available to many tuner shops for years.

I guess the issue to has been with HPT.
Ok, so maybe against my better judgment, I'm going to ask a specific question. What would I have to do to run a 2006 throttle body, TAC and pedal with a 2002 PCM/tune? This is essentially what I was trying to do several years ago when I found out it couldn't be done. So what do I have to do, and for Pete's sake don't tell me "nothing" and that it will "work without issue".

Last edited by ls1nova71; 12-30-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Ok, so maybe against my better judgment, I'm going to ask a specific question. What would I have to do to run a 2006 throttle body, TAC and pedal with a 2002 PCM/tune? This is essentially what I was trying to do several years ago when I found out it couldn't be done. So what do I have to do, and for Pete's sake don't tell me "nothing" and that it will "work without issue".
Just change the calibration to match the components
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

ls1Nova71---I think what Hex Hacker is getting at is: If/when HPT adds the needed parameters to the software, you will be able to make your particular combination of parts work together.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

That's all good, but how do you do it?
Originally Posted by Lextech
ls1Nova71---I think what Hex Hacker is getting at is: If/when HPT adds the needed parameters to the software, you will be able to make your particular combination of parts work together.

Jeff

That's what I was thinking, but he said in an earlier post that the options are there and have been available for years.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Teching In

That's all good, but how do you do it?

That's what I was thinking, but he said in an earlier post that the options are there and have been available for years.
TunerCat had the option to add parameters years ago. If you own TunerCat and Purchased the VDF Editor you can add you own parameters like the CAX file with EFILive. If you disassembled a calibration in a disassembler then you would be able to add the parameters to a TunerCat VDF years ago. The VDF editor has been out since 2008 and I have been using it since.

Over the past year I have got really deep into Hex Editing. It takes time, but over time you start to see parameters in the bin file. I have revisited the TAC parameters over and over with just a little improvement. This 2005 OS just hit home with me and it clicked.

So you spent hours and hours going in circle and not making progress. If you would have dropped some cash in the right direction you could see what I see. We learn from our mistakes and I make a lot of them.

Quick Reply: GM Electronic Throttle Control