TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol...
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

See the wink in my reply?
I was kidding.

I have over 40 years experience working in the electronics field and have 30 years in the military working in a calibration lab. I measure parts down to one ten millionth of an inch with lasers and down to millionth of a volt.

It amazes me that a cheap simple wire jumper solution can draw this many views, 21 reply's and a large discussion.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doh ! got it..

Yeah.. idle mind's trying to stay sharp ! ;-) LOL
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Japanese cars tend to run positive and negative wires to every load without using the chassis/sheet metal to carry power. They were a bit ahead of American stuff in that sense, cause now everybody does it this way. It makes for a more reliable electrical system. I hate to say it but back in the 60's and 70's the Robert McNamara's of this world were purposely building things that would need to be replaced after a few years of use. They considered themselves geniuses for doing it that way, so now people are forced to put spider webs of ground straps all over their vehicles to make up for it.

The wire harness hooks to the battery negative with a separate I think 10 gauge wire. The battery positive is hooked to the harness in the same way, which in turn is wired to the alternator output. So technically the block and the black battery cable are the return path for the alternator current.

Now that I think of it all the engine sensors except the temp gauge carry their own ground wire through the MSD harness (running a carb). There is no need for any other ground straps between the motor and the chassis.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Lets not forget the real primary function of the factory grounding strap.

It is to provide a high current path for the huge amps needed to crank over engine starters in extreme weather conditions.

Quick Reply: Motor to frame grounding strap?