Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Sonoma GT getting an LS1 drivetrain!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Those headers are awesome!

I ran 26" tires and about 2200rpm down the highway if I remember correctly
SDOL tune that was pretty lean at cruise 16:1
With an auto and numerically lower rear gear I could see 28-30 with that truck. A good custom tune will go a long way to providing good fuel economy.
Yea I will probably get a tune done down the road, Ill probably have a little bit of a taller tire then that and right now Im throwing around the idea of putting in a 6l80e trans in.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 6L80 trans is quite a behemoth of a trans. Unless you are going for top speed runs, the 4L80e should work fine for you and save you weight, plus free up a bit more horsepower.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
The 6L80 trans is quite a behemoth of a trans. Unless you are going for top speed runs, the 4L80e should work fine for you and save you weight, plus free up a bit more horsepower.
I hate when people say things like this, Yes the trans weighs more but stock for stock the 6l80e is a better trans all around. The 6l80e to start not only has a better final gear for the highway then the 4l80e so whatever weight difference there is the final gear will outweigh the extra, not to mention the 4l80e weighs about 180lb and the 6l80e weighs about 210lb its not much in the big picture of vehicle weight. The horsepower loss your talking about is very minuscule and is also something that probably wont be noticed much on a mild street motor and isn't much of a point to argue, higher power drag cars yes they go with light weight 2-4 speed transmissions but obviously I'm not building a drag car. Also any loss incurred can more then be made up in the gearing, many people argue with that aggressive of a first gear its hard to hook but for me I will be towing with this truck and this will help get my boat moving easier. Then even if it was an off the line issue the 6l80e allows the ability to start off in second gear which would suck for a lot of cars but with the 6l80e you can start in 2nd and every gear from second on would be slightly more aggressive and would more then outweigh the minuscule hp loss.

The 6l80e also allows the ability to have paddle shifters which will be good for me because I may do some racing here and there for fun, Ill have an aftermarket trans cooler as well to help with any heat build up. Plus every now and then on the street it'll be nice to have it. Also the trans is a much smoother trans for daily driving. People are talking about tq management between shifts but right now I don't believe the motor I'm building will be affected cause it won't even have as much power as some of the motor it comes behind from the factory. But people are finding ways around this now and it shouldn't affect reliability as much as long as your not doing 0-60 runs at every stoplight.

The 6l80e may not be the most popular right now but either were all the other transmissions at one point.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know how the old saying goes:
"Opinions are like ********, everyone has one and most of them stink!"

I would not want one in a SONOMA. You referred to pulling a boat, right? How big of a boat are you gonna be pulling with this small of a truck? Regardless of the drivetrain, there is only so much you can pull safely....
Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
You know how the old saying goes:
"Opinions are like ********, everyone has one and most of them stink!"

I would not want one in a SONOMA. You referred to pulling a boat, right? How big of a boat are you gonna be pulling with this small of a truck? Regardless of the drivetrain, there is only so much you can pull safely....
I undestand there are weight limits but Im upgrading not just the drivetrain but the braking system to be able to tow safely, and I know you cant tow 10k lbs with a 3k truck and thats not what im trying to do nor was that my main point.

My main point was people make quick statements without any type of reasoning to back up what they are saying. I can understand why you wouldnt want one but then theres plenty of people who wouldn't want an ls1 in a sonoma or a 240sx or a bmw or etc.... But thats why there is a Hybrid page so people can build what they want and try to share with others and get some input on there build. I don't mind input just say more then you shouldn't do that and whatever you do say have a valid point not just hearsay of what you think.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

My statement is based on the research I did, which was not a WHOLE lot because of the cost and the weight difference, and that is also why I am switching to a turbo 350 now.

lighter, cheaper to operate, and works just as well, even with 3 less gears. But my main goal now is for drag racing, not so much street driving. I will probably drive it on the street for a little bit, or until I get a tow truck.

Either way, I would not want one that is that much heavier. My opinion for my truck.

Best of luck on your build and I hope it all fits and works out fantastic.

Quick Reply: 1992 Sonoma GT getting an LS1 drivetrain!