Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Sonoma GT getting an LS1 drivetrain!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Sonoma GT getting an LS1 drivetrain!

After a long time of getting rid of my first Sonoma gt, I have finally acquired another one. So I'm throwing up a couple pics which will give you guys an idea of what I'm getting into. Pretty much a stock SGT I picked up with a 00 Camaro z28 drive train going in it. My main goal at the moment will be MPG and getting the suspension to a road race worthy truck. So I will be doing as much weight saving as I can without sacrificing ride quality as it will be my daily driver/ work truck.

Also I have an entire 2000 Camaro z28 which im trying to use certain parts off of. I would like to switch over the gas tank and get rid of old heavy metal one and plus the Camaro one will help center some weight over the rear end once I remount it. Im also using the full disc swap front and rear. Im thinking of using the master cylinder and booster if possible. Also Im assuming this is the place to ask is the Camaro's proportioning vave in the master cylinder?? I was trying to look up some info but couldnt find anything concrete.

Over 30 MPG is my goal. Im hoping since the Camaro's can get high 20's that with some weight shaving and ecomodding I can get over 30 hwy mpg. The stock camaro's weigh around 3450 and the sonoma gt is about 3300 even from what I have researched. So I have kind of a head start in weight but I know the truck isn't as aerodynamic as the camaro which will hurt.

It will stay a 2wd truck and will be daily driven with some light towing hopefully with a hidden hitch, Im not sure if the gas tank will affect this.

As far as the exterior it'll stay pretty stock especially since the Sonoma GT's are getting rarer as the days pass. Im just going to do a 2" fiberglass hood and plan on trying to go with fiberglass fenders as well.

I will also be parting out the entire z28 once I get done getting the motor, brakes, gas tank, etc.. taken off.

Here are some pics to start with. You can see some hints of the donor car.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by factorycar; 01-06-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sick project! I love the vette rally wheels on it they look really good.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You do realize that all of the money you are going to spend to do the swap and try to get 30mpg would buy you a lot of gasoline if you just left it alone.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jones'n
You do realize that all of the money you are going to spend to do the swap and try to get 30mpg would buy you a lot of gasoline if you just left it alone.
I still want to build a quick reliable DD, I'm just going to do a reliable mostly stock build and try to get good gas mileage in the process. Plus the stock 4.3 cpi doesnt get good gas mileage at all, the ls1 will probably damn near double what my old sonoma gt used to get.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 PM

Started undercoating the frame.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2.73 or 3.08 gears will help on mileage, especially since you are staying automatic (I assume). Plus a slightly larger tire diameter, 16's or 17's. That should slow the drivetrain down quite a bit at 55 mph.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
2.73 or 3.08 gears will help on mileage, especially since you are staying automatic (I assume). Plus a slightly larger tire diameter, 16's or 17's. That should slow the drivetrain down quite a bit at 55 mph.

Yea I have to agree, I have already started a list and planned on going from the stock 3.42 to a 2.73 even though the stock 3.23 camaro gear will go in temporarily, also an aluminum driveshaft from the stock steel one . Im most likely going with a 17' centerline wheel on all 4 corners with a bridgestone ecopia tire which is made for low rolling resistance.

there is a much bigger list I have which I will post up soon.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

if this is a 10 bolt you will be going to a different series carrier. So check your parts and your current setup before ordering the ring/pinion
Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
if this is a 10 bolt you will be going to a different series carrier. So check your parts and your current setup before ordering the ring/pinion
Do you happen to know if the camaro gear and pinion will fit in the stock sonoma housing? I might just get an 8 1/2 rear when i get the 2.73 instead of using the stock sonoma housing.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Launching!

No I don't think so, I think the Camaro rear end has a larger ring and pinion. If you want the Camaro gears you might have to swap in the whole rear, and obviously the Camaro has a coil spring rear as opposed to a leaf spring setup. And the shocks might be staggered too, but I wouldn't quote me on any of that.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would remove the rear axle from the frame and get the ring and pinion first thing along with a master rebuild kit. Then you can take your time and get it all set up the way you want it to be, RIGHT! You may be taking it apart and putting it together several times to get it right, so having it out of the frame is best.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Youngblood16
No I don't think so, I think the Camaro rear end has a larger ring and pinion. If you want the Camaro gears you might have to swap in the whole rear, and obviously the Camaro has a coil spring rear as opposed to a leaf spring setup. And the shocks might be staggered too, but I wouldn't quote me on any of that.

yea I definitely thought about swapping the whole rear over but the camaro rear end is about 14" longer then the Sonoma so that is a no go.

To BigED i probably will have it all out but as of now i might just hold out for an 8 1/2 then get a 2.73 in that before I do anything unless the camaro gears swap over which isnt looking likely
Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome I love those Sonoma Gt's. Just for reference my 98' reg cab shorty got 33mpg cruising at 75. The truck had a 5.3 with a ls6 cam and intake, t56, 3.73 gears, and was lowered 7".
Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

Love SoGT's..... only 806 ever built. Although we have never tested our S10 headers on the 82-93 trucks I think they can work.

Keep the pictures coming.... subscribed!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Awesome I love those Sonoma Gt's. Just for reference my 98' reg cab shorty got 33mpg cruising at 75. The truck had a 5.3 with a ls6 cam and intake, t56, 3.73 gears, and was lowered 7".
That's good to hear considering a lot of people think that my goal of 30 is not obtainable. Also I'm wandering if the parts you had made a big difference or not, I know having an auto in mine will hurt but I dont want to dd a manual right now. I know a cam can make a difference and i do plan on getting an ls6 intake as well down the line. I will be going with a smaller rear gear which will help. Anyway what size tires were you running and what rpm's are you at in OD at 75mph? Also what does the rest of your setup consist of? or if you have a build thread I wouldn't mind looking at it, also stock tune/ecm ?

I have been getting a lot more of a response on ls1tech than I thought, I posted it upon on here because I have gathered a lot of info off here so I figured I would throw it up on here and see what you guys thought.

For stainlessworks Im probably going to try and get a set of longtubes but the fit is very tight on sonoma/s10 ls1 swapped trucks so the options are limited.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Quick question for the camaro guys, I have the entire brake setup for the 00 z28, im wondering where the proportioning valve is on the z28. Im asking because im going to try and swap the booster and Master cylinder from the camaro to the sonoma and I need to make sure I setup everything correctly as the front and rear brakes from the camaro are going on.

Also the booster on the camaro is smaller and will help with the LS motor clearance
Old 01-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Quick question for the camaro guys, I have the entire brake setup for the 00 z28, im wondering where the proportioning valve is on the z28. Im asking because im going to try and swap the booster and Master cylinder from the camaro to the sonoma and I need to make sure I setup everything correctly as the front and rear brakes from the camaro are going on.

Also the booster on the camaro is smaller and will help with the LS motor clearance
Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Ring and pinion will swap. I put a torsen from a Camaro in my 99 Sonoma.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by factorycar

For stainlessworks Im probably going to try and get a set of longtubes but the fit is very tight on sonoma/s10 ls1 swapped trucks so the options are limited.
Take a look at the pictures below from a 2nd gen install......

Old 01-17-2014, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those headers are awesome!

I ran 26" tires and about 2200rpm down the highway if I remember correctly
SDOL tune that was pretty lean at cruise 16:1
With an auto and numerically lower rear gear I could see 28-30 with that truck. A good custom tune will go a long way to providing good fuel economy.

Quick Reply: 1992 Sonoma GT getting an LS1 drivetrain!