Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG Machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MX6.0
It's going to be tough to find a car that's lighter and is as easy to swap as the Miata.
A John's Car kit allows you to swap an LS motor into a 240/260/280 Z in 20 hours. Start with a 240 and the car will weight less than 2500#. I think the kit is only a few hundred bucks. You won't need to replace the rear end. I thought the Miata required moving the firewall?

And unlike a Miata the old Z cars have enough head room to sit full sized people and enough room in the hatch to carry things like luggage or scuba gear for two people.

Plus the Z car won't get lost in the sorority house parking lot
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
And unlike a Miata the old Z cars have enough head room to sit full sized people and enough room in the hatch to carry things like luggage or scuba gear for two people.
One gripe I've always had about Miata's being 6'3" myself.

Now THAT is funny!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A John's Car kit allows you to swap an LS motor into a 240/260/280 Z in 20 hours. Start with a 240 and the car will weight less thanwas00#. I think the kit is only a few hundred bucks. You won't need to replace the rear end. I thought the Miata required moving the firewall?

My two qualifiers were swap difficulty and cars that are lighter and you replied with heavier cars...

No you don't have to move the firewall. Tranny tunnel has to be widened for the bell housing. I'm sure there are easier swaps out there, but as I said, there aren't many that are lighter.

Say what you like about the Miatas gay reputation, it's a more capable sports car than a 45 year old Datsun...just sayin, and I like Datsuns.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Using the BOSS Frog Miata front subframe is tight but does NOT require any firewall modifications.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MX6.0
My two qualifiers were swap difficulty and cars that are lighter and you replied with heavier cars...
Not trying to get in a pissing contest and the girls car reference was obviously intended to provoke a laugh, but my 240z fully dressed with an aluminum LS2, subframe connectors, heavier rear end and full tank of gas weights in at just under 2500#. That is less than the 2640# Boss Frog lists for his swap.

http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_V8_Swap.html

And a swapped 240 is slightly tail heavy. 3/4 of the driver's weight ends up on the rear wheels. The 20 hour swap time is no joke, these motor pretty much bolt in.

So think the Z exceeds both of your criteria.

Which is a better car is another matter, but a daily driver needs some interior space. Z's are comfortable cars, especially for fat, tall, old guys like me.

The two biggest problems with using one for a daily driver is they are so rare outside of Southern California that they become theft bait AND they do not tolerate road salt. So having a car that gets lost in a sorority house parking lot is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Obviously weight will differ drastically with different year chassis and different options. I think the 2640# number is on the high end of the spectrum. My car with no a/c, no p/s, full interior and lots of sound deadening weighs in at about 2400#. Do the same thing to an earlier chassis and it would likely be another 100# less.

You definitely got me on the swap time though...20 hours is just crazyness.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Worst of Both Worlds...

I have pondered an LS1 mileage build as well, but I keep coming back to the point that the two are dynamically opposed. IMO the final product:

A) Would be a half-assed economy car. Sure it will get GOOD mileage, but will come no where near the mileage of a purpose built economy vehicle.

B) Would be a half-assed hotrod/sports car. A engine built and tuned for low fuel consumption would remove the fun of having a high horsepower V8. So sure it has a V8, but it will be about as exciting as your grandmas Buick (just minus the old person smell)

So in a nut shell you would end up with a poor economy car AND a poor perfromer. But there is a bright spot: you would have bragging rights that you were dumb enough to sacrifice BOTH goals to acheive NEITHER.

Just my opinion, now go out there and prove me wrong!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Yukon Mileage Comparison

BTW, I will throw in that my '03 Yukon XL gets about 13MPG in town and 17MPG on the highway, averaging around 14.5MPG. But winter blend fuels alwasy seem to knock that down to just over 14MPG

My all stock, carb'd 5.3 '73 Nova with TH350 and 2.73 gears at 3260lb gets about 16MPG average, but I am never easy on that poor junkyard motor!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:39 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

^ Eaxctly! Thats why i said if mileage is your goal? The build HAS to be cheap as it can be as well to make the savings pay off ( you tight wads you! )

th350 is light, and easy to spin, and TOUGH and with a super tall gear will get great mileage. It wont win any races BUT....

It WILL do awesome smoke shows.... with tall final drive, pull it into first, get it spinning and you wont be able to stop it

Just saying. look at the plus side and enjoy what you build for what it is. Also for you guys building tin boxes, consider your safety too;

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-test/4721607/

Even worse, tragically this happened to a fellow board member in an LS swapped 240 recently, RIP brother;

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24...n-hopkinsville

Be smart, build safe, dont be cheap with your life
Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
I have pondered an LS1 mileage build as well, but I keep coming back to the point that the two are dynamically opposed. IMO the final product:

A) Would be a half-assed economy car. Sure it will get GOOD mileage, but will come no where near the mileage of a purpose built economy vehicle.

B) Would be a half-assed hotrod/sports car. A engine built and tuned for low fuel consumption would remove the fun of having a high horsepower V8. So sure it has a V8, but it will be about as exciting as your grandmas Buick (just minus the old person smell)

So in a nut shell you would end up with a poor economy car AND a poor perfromer. But there is a bright spot: you would have bragging rights that you were dumb enough to sacrifice BOTH goals to acheive NEITHER.

Just my opinion, now go out there and prove me wrong!
A) Depends on your definition of "good mileage." If you are looking for 45+ city MPG, a Gen III / IV V8 swap is probably not going to work.

B) You can cross the border between economy and power but it takes the proper vehicle, time and tuning. No you won't have the best economy, but you won't have the most power either. Essentially it again depends on your definition and setting realistic goals.

I respectfully disagree with your last statement about sacrificing both. I've seen exactly what you are talking about when people don't have realistic goals. I feel with realistic goals, good research, planning, and tuning things can be achieved that will absolutely blow you away.

One aspect of this is the calibration, a good calibration is everything. Who would have thought 40 years ago that 300 horsepower with a glass smooth idle, decent economy and 150K plus reliability would be boring and normal?

I'm getting low 24's on the highway with winter blend gas (as in just last weekend) in a car that isn't nearly optimized. I'm also doing this without DOD, VVT or AFM. I can still cook tires, do donuts and accelerate like normal for this engine. The only thing I lost was the baggage of stopping at the gas station more frequently, I'm pretty happy with that. Can I get more, probably but I'll worry about it when I do some much needed upgrades and maintenance.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL. Now that is some funny chit.

That is what I always try to say in these threads. While there is a pretty sizable difference between 15 mpg and 25 mpg, the difference between 25 and 30 mpg is not worth paying much money for.

And depending on how much you drive spending $12k to go from 15 to 25 mpg could take 10 or more years to get your money back. At 15k miles per year you are saving 400 gallons/year. That is what, $1400/yr?

V8's are just the wrong starting point.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 AM
TECH Junkie

My all stock, carb'd 5.3 '73 Nova with TH350 and 2.73 gears at 3260lb gets about 16MPG average, but I am never easy on that poor junkyard motor!
Go to an overdrive trans and I will bet you bump that up to mid 20's and will have a more pleasant car to drive in the process.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pickup a 30-50s car and throw the ls in waaaay before I'd mess with foreign jobs.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Teching In

I think a C4 vette with a 6 speed and a 4.8/5.3 would be good. I've managed 30 mpg at 65 mph with an LT1 and a 6 speed, so the LS would have to be an improvement.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to an overdrive trans and I will bet you bump that up to mid 20's and will have a more pleasant car to drive in the process.
Glad you enjoyed that last part of my previous post!

As far as an overdrive goes, well I am heading down the wrong road...looking to step into some 3.43s and a cam swap. HA! Take that mileage!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Teching In

probably best to just pick up a $800 honda civic or ford festiva for a daily beater. 40+ mpg and low maintainence costs. spend the rest of the $12K on hookers and beer
Old 01-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BadWolf
probably best to just pick up a $800 honda civic or ford festiva for a daily beater. 40+ mpg and low maintainence costs. spend the rest of the $12K on hookers and beer

the best hookers come with their own supply of beer, and are still marginally less fun to slide around in.

both options are usually frowned upon by all but the best girlfriends / wives, and with both you're going to need some sort of insurance / protection for peace of mind.

your call.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadWolf
STDs, the gift that keeps on giving...maybe just stick to beer.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

Why not just get a m6 4th gen ls1 car? They get great mpg's. I have knocked down 29.1 before all while running 11's. I checked it once going to the track running and driving home and it got 22.x.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Just buy a used VW diesel off craigslist for about $3k and be done with it. 45-50mpg. Do a muffler delete and a cold air intake. Burnouts are easy and the straight pipe turbo sounds cool too. Upsolute performance can burn a chip for the factory ECU for better performance.
Had a 98 TDI Jetta with an upsolute chip and a 2-1/2" exhaust from the turbo all the way out back. No muffler, no resonator, straight off the turbo. The car ran pretty good, especially considering it got 45-52 mpg every tank. Stay away from bio fuel if you go this route.

Quick Reply: MPG Machine