Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STAND ALONE HARNESS - should I cut off connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry STAND ALONE HARNESS - should I cut off connectors?

I'm working on another swap harness. this time a stand alone.

I did all of the following:
- removed loom and tape
- removed all of the proper pins from PCM connector (on LT1swap)
- pulled all of those wires from the harness

here is where I'm stuck. Every one of those wires that I pulled from the PCM connector runs back to some other connector in the harness or to the other PCM connector. These connectors have other wires that are still apart of the harness.

Am I supposed to cut off any connector that has a de-pinned PCM wire connected (thus cutting all wires)?

or

Am I supposed to remove only the depinned PCM wire from the particular connector?

WHAT IS IT THAT I'M SUPPOSED TO DO NOW???
Old 01-27-2014, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

also, what should I do with the PCM pins that run over to the other PCM connector (red to blue).

the LT1swap info says to remove them from 1 side but makes no mention of removing them from the other.

I'm sorry, I have been looking for hours and some of the stuff that seems obvious to everyone is not clear at all.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are the wires you are referring to GROUNDS? Black wires?

I went through the harness ONE connector at a time..
RED first, then moved to blue.

If you are getting blurry eyed, STOP and wait til the morning to work on it again. Fresh eyes and good rest are quite important when dealing with these harnesses.

I would lay it down and head to bed. Get a good nights sleep and then go back and double check the removed wires after you have slept.

Also, even if you are NOT planning to run one of the electronic transmissions, DO NOT remove the connectors for it.
You may change your mind a little later down the road and decide to run one. Less hassle to just secure an unused connector than to have someone re-wire a transmission harness back in.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Any wire that you've depinned from the PCM connector should be removed completely. The plugs on the other ends of those wires you won't need. As far as removing wires that go from one PCM connector to the other, there shouldn't be any that just loop from one side to the other. There may be a power or gorund but those don't get removed. If its a 5v reference wire that goes to one sensor and the other has been removed, you would need to cut the wire out where its spliced in the harness.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

I removed all of the wires in the LT1swap article. it says to remove all pins highlighted Yellow. None of them are ground wires (black).

I double checked and triple checked... yes... some of them ran from 1 PCM connector to the other.

So any connector that has a de-pinned wire from the PCM should be cut from the harness? Even though it has other wires with no clear instruction to remove????

I cannot find clear answers on this stuff anywhere.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 AM
TECH Veteran

You got a pin number of the wires that go from one side to the other?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the grounds and power wire will lead into a junction splice and will lead to other sensors or connectors. Just cut the wire you have de-pinned from the splice and leave the other wire going/coming from the splice alone.

As asked, what pin, wire color and connector from the pcm are you finding the loop ?

Would recommend you check a few time before cutting (check twice, cut once).

BC
Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

I will get back with you guys right after work!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
Some of the grounds and power wire will lead into a junction splice and will lead to other sensors or connectors. Just cut the wire you have de-pinned from the splice and leave the other wire going/coming from the splice alone.

As asked, what pin, wire color and connector from the pcm are you finding the loop ?

Would recommend you check a few time before cutting (check twice, cut once).

BC
I don't think you guys are understanding me... these are not power or ground wires. I would not be so hesitant to cut a power or ground. Literally EVERY WIRE that was de-pinned from the PCM connectors runs back to another connector in the harness.

These connectors have other wires going into the harness that are still hooked up... why is it that nobody knows what I'm talking about??? I followed instruction to the Tee. This was asked only a handful of times and from what I can see has gone unanswered.

If you have a connector that has 1 de-pinned wire but all of the other wires are hooked up, what would you do????
Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by _blake
I don't think you guys are understanding me... these are not power or ground wires. I would not be so hesitant to cut a power or ground. Literally EVERY WIRE that was de-pinned from the PCM connectors runs back to another connector in the harness.

These connectors have other wires going into the harness that are still hooked up... why is it that nobody knows what I'm talking about??? I followed instruction to the Tee. This was asked only a handful of times and from what I can see has gone unanswered.

If you have a connector that has 1 de-pinned wire but all of the other wires are hooked up, what would you do????
"If you have a connector that has 1 de-pinned wire but all of the other wires are hooked up, what would you do????" This connector you're talking about, it will most likely be the wires that go into the cabin of the vehicle, gauges, obdII connector, cruise control ect. Unless you have the other side of the plug and want to use it for some reason, most people just cut the wires and run them into the car. What year/engine are you working on?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe we need to have you rewind and tell us what the harness and ECM came from ?. more info and good description of the problem is good.
Then tell us what Pin you are working with and what you have found it was connected to, for the one that you are having questions about.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
Maybe we need to have you rewind and tell us what the harness and ECM came from ?. more info and good description of the problem is good.
Then tell us what Pin you are working with and what you have found it was connected to, for the one that you are having questions about.
I was going to suggest something similar...

Tell us the wires coloring and if you know what pin location and color
connector it was removed from and then we could look at the pinout
diagram and know exactly what control or input wire you are referring to.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

As I asked, year, car/truck, engine, model info...it does make a difference...

good and accurate answers comes from good info with the question... and I don't see this info. Unless I mis-read this thead.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see it either, and I just went back and looked to be certain also. the year make model info
Old 01-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

I'm starting to think this harness is hacked up... some stuff is missing. The dash connectors are missing, the fuse panel too.

Came from a 2000 Z28, complete engine + T56 + PCM and Harness.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't get dash connectors or a fuse block with a harness and ecu.

I am thinking someone is feeding you a bunch of horseshit of what you THINK should be included.

The instrument cluster and dashboard stuff for the radio and heat and air are separate and independent of the engine computer. The tach for example, picks up off a SINGLE lead from the engine computer, but that is it. the power and ground and all the other stuff comes from the under dash fuse panel.

All the stuff related to the harness would be much simpler if you would include pictures of what you are referring to.

Do not cut anything at all else or remove anything at all else until you get some
pictures up here so we can look at what all you have done and tell you if you have majorly screwed up.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

hang on a minute.......

you got ENGINE, TRANS, HARNESS, AND ECU from the same car??

Was it all together and still connected when you got it all?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

yes, I actually saw the car run... but I was not there when all of this was removed. is there some way that I can tell?? Hope I didn't get ripped off...

the LS1 (EGR intake) w/ LS6 style coolant tubes is a dead give away that something might be wrong.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
You don't get dash connectors or a fuse block with a harness and ecu.

I am thinking someone is feeding you a bunch of horseshit of what you THINK should be included.

The instrument cluster and dashboard stuff for the radio and heat and air are separate and independent of the engine computer. The tach for example, picks up off a SINGLE lead from the engine computer, but that is it. the power and ground and all the other stuff comes from the under dash fuse panel.

All the stuff related to the harness would be much simpler if you would include pictures of what you are referring to.

Do not cut anything at all else or remove anything at all else until you get some
pictures up here so we can look at what all you have done and tell you if you have majorly screwed up.
I've not cut anything due to confusion... good thing too
Old 01-28-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by _blake
yes, I actually saw the car run... but I was not there when all of this was removed. is there some way that I can tell?? Hope I didn't get ripped off...

the LS1 (EGR intake) w/ LS6 style coolant tubes is a dead give away that something might be wrong.
Only late 2000 / early 2001 and 2002 F-Body engines didn't have EGR. My ex had a 2000 Z-28 with EGR, I have an 02 WS6 without. Y-Body cars never had EGR. LS6 coolant tubes don't mean anything depending on year the engine came from and what was available in the parts bin that day. I've seen cars and trucks with only front steam tubes connected LS6 style with block offs in the rear - again, varies by year, application and other factors that probably aren't known or weren't documented.

Many wires may be deleted from the PCM side but go to a connector that has multiple wires that may stay. Without seeing and honestly being there, it's difficult to say. Engine speed, tach output, OBD2 port, clutch and brake input, check engine and others may be this way and continue through the firewall to the dash even though one or more of their mates on the same plug get eliminated. The best thing to do in that case is trace back any wire you don't know and see what it says on the schematic or pinout.

Quick Reply: STAND ALONE HARNESS - should I cut off connectors?