Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any factory oil pans fit 1st gen camaro ls swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
By "3rd gen" do you mean F body? curious how you do that, and how a longer pitman arm will help. Being a rear steer, a longer pitman arm will just move the drag link further back, which will still be in the same place as the F body oil pan sump.

Yes 3rd gen camaro/firebird, I saw that the 3rd gen steering box was an upgrade and while researching around for guys who had done it, I ran into a thread that dave pozzi was on talking about the steering linkage issue lock to lock with the f body pan, apparently a longer pitman arm pushes the linkage enough to clear the pan. I'll see if I can find the page. I ended up going full 3rd gen swap (box, shaft, column). It was on another forum so I can PM the link.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No he's right, a longer pitman & idler will push it further away from the pan. When you turn it puts the center link closer to the pan
Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also you can't use a non power steering setup as the arms are shorter, must use power steering box with longer arms for an Fbody pan
Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91FormulaKiller
Yes 3rd gen camaro/firebird, I saw that the 3rd gen steering box was an upgrade and while researching around for guys who had done it, I ran into a thread that dave pozzi was on talking about the steering linkage issue lock to lock with the f body pan, apparently a longer pitman arm pushes the linkage enough to clear the pan. I'll see if I can find the page. I ended up going full 3rd gen swap (box, shaft, column). It was on another forum so I can PM the link.
Post it when ya find it.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Hopefully not against forum rules posting a link to another site,

http://www.camaros.net/forums/archiv.../t-214065.html
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 91FormulaKiller
Hopefully not against forum rules posting a link to another site,

http://www.camaros.net/forums/archiv.../t-214065.html
Its not against any rules. I understand the longer pitman and idler arms now, I was thinking backwards. Still looks like you'll have to have the engine pretty close to the firewall?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Its not against any rules. I understand the longer pitman and idler arms now, I was thinking backwards. Still looks like you'll have to have the engine pretty close to the firewall?
Yes, I'm pretty sure 3/4-1" between the firewall and right head, but, I'm thinking of taking just alittle off of the drag link with a flap wheel to see if I can get just that 1/16" or whatever of more clearance so I can get rid of the what-if scenario with interference with the pan you know?

Quick Reply: any factory oil pans fit 1st gen camaro ls swap?