Dropping a valve at 12,000ft is priceless
Old 02-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really cool setup
Old 02-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Good morning everyone,
In Sunday morning internet trolling, I have stumbled across this thread. I'm new to LS1tech, and I do not personally own anything with an LS it, but have much respect for the engines. In fact, I own a 5.0 Coyote Mustang(gasp), but that is here nor there.

Down to the point, a bunch of my friends and I are all licensed aircraft mechanics. We actually have this kit on order, scheduled for delivery this week. We've been waiting for delivery since around September or October, so we are definitely chomping at the bit to get started!

More information for you guys new to the idea. This is what is considered an amateur home built aircraft. Anyone can purchase the kit, and provided they build 51% of the aircraft, are legally aloud to work/maintain it. When finished it will receive an experimental aircraft registration, it's only limitation is that it cannot be used for commercial operations. It is like any other helicopter, in that you must hold at least a Private Pilot Rotor wing rating to fly it.
Vertical aviation has an estimated completion time of 600 man hours. Many critical parts are completed at their factory in Sanford Florida.

The reason for the LS7 rather than other engines.
1. It is dry sump, which allows it to hang at that angle, as well as the different attitudes it will be put in during flight.
2. It is relatively light weight for the amount of power it produces; it is very comparable in weight of the other engine choice, the Lycoming IVO-435.
3. Because it is only producing 280 horsepower at roughly 2800-3000 RPM, it will be very reliable as it's well below "pushing" the engine.
4. The Lycoming IVO-435 is a very old engine. In fact, Lycoming themselves do not currently produce that engine. So you have to find a used or overhauled engine.
5. The recommended time before overhaul (TBO) on the IVO-435 is 2000 flight hours, an aviation industry standard. With Dyno testing and inherent closer tolerances of water cooled engine, the LS7 has been given a recommended TBO of 3000 hours!
6. Parts and engine cores are cheap! Relatively speaking. The core value of a standard 6 cylinder aircraft engine is $20,000+, and that's before overhaul which is typically another $20,000.
7. The Lycoming IVO-435 is a mechanical fuel injected, air-cooled, horizontally opposed aircraft engine. They have dual fixed time magnetos, with dual spark in each cylinder. Anyone with a few hours behind the engine knows that they are their own animal. Starting them takes technique especially in the cold, not a simple turn-key engine. The plus is, they are near indestructible, I've seen Lycomings run for 15-20 minutes after blowing cylinders completely off the engine. The engine has it's place. The LS7, being completely electronically controlled will start like a mild mannered Corvette. Hop in, turn the power on, and turn the key. Because the engine is water-cooled, it will be much less vulnerable to shock cooling.
8. It runs on 87 octane! The Lycoming alternative requires 100 low lead, which is nearing, and in some places past $6.00 a gallon. The lycoming burns burns 14gallons an hour x $6.00 = $84.00 an hour. The LS7 burns 10gallons an hour x $3.60 = $36.00 an hour. Less than half the fuel cost for more power!

Enough of my babbling. When the kit arrives, hopefully this week. I'll get pictures and keep everyone posted on the build if you all would like. I can post them here or make my own thread else where.

Thanks for reading!
Chris Gayman
Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

We've had a few boats, but I'm pretty sure yours will be the first helicopter...
Subscribed.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Teching In

10 gallons an hour is phenomenal for an 8 cylinder helo. The 87 octane auto fuel STC is awesome as well when you're paying $3 a gallon versus $6.

I showed a couple pics and videos to my turbine theory teacher and he thought it was very cool. Throwing new technology at something that has, for the most part, remained unchanged for 40-60 years is just awesome.

I would love to land a job working with new tech and experimentals. Unfortunately, outside of business owner, that isn't where the money is. Contract work in BFE is where they slice the big cake.

And this video would have been way cooler with more ls7 powered rotor wash and less music!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is awesome!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmgayman
Good morning everyone,
In Sunday morning internet trolling, I have stumbled across this thread. I'm new to LS1tech, and I do not personally own anything with an LS it, but have much respect for the engines. In fact, I own a 5.0 Coyote Mustang(gasp), but that is here nor there.

Down to the point, a bunch of my friends and I are all licensed aircraft mechanics. We actually have this kit on order, scheduled for delivery this week. We've been waiting for delivery since around September or October, so we are definitely chomping at the bit to get started!

More information for you guys new to the idea. This is what is considered an amateur home built aircraft. Anyone can purchase the kit, and provided they build 51% of the aircraft, are legally aloud to work/maintain it. When finished it will receive an experimental aircraft registration, it's only limitation is that it cannot be used for commercial operations. It is like any other helicopter, in that you must hold at least a Private Pilot Rotor wing rating to fly it.
Vertical aviation has an estimated completion time of 600 man hours. Many critical parts are completed at their factory in Sanford Florida.

The reason for the LS7 rather than other engines.
1. It is dry sump, which allows it to hang at that angle, as well as the different attitudes it will be put in during flight.
2. It is relatively light weight for the amount of power it produces; it is very comparable in weight of the other engine choice, the Lycoming IVO-435.
3. Because it is only producing 280 horsepower at roughly 2800-3000 RPM, it will be very reliable as it's well below "pushing" the engine.
4. The Lycoming IVO-435 is a very old engine. In fact, Lycoming themselves do not currently produce that engine. So you have to find a used or overhauled engine.
5. The recommended time before overhaul (TBO) on the IVO-435 is 2000 flight hours, an aviation industry standard. With Dyno testing and inherent closer tolerances of water cooled engine, the LS7 has been given a recommended TBO of 3000 hours!
6. Parts and engine cores are cheap! Relatively speaking. The core value of a standard 6 cylinder aircraft engine is $20,000+, and that's before overhaul which is typically another $20,000.
7. The Lycoming IVO-435 is a mechanical fuel injected, air-cooled, horizontally opposed aircraft engine. They have dual fixed time magnetos, with dual spark in each cylinder. Anyone with a few hours behind the engine knows that they are their own animal. Starting them takes technique especially in the cold, not a simple turn-key engine. The plus is, they are near indestructible, I've seen Lycomings run for 15-20 minutes after blowing cylinders completely off the engine. The engine has it's place. The LS7, being completely electronically controlled will start like a mild mannered Corvette. Hop in, turn the power on, and turn the key. Because the engine is water-cooled, it will be much less vulnerable to shock cooling.
8. It runs on 87 octane! The Lycoming alternative requires 100 low lead, which is nearing, and in some places past $6.00 a gallon. The lycoming burns burns 14gallons an hour x $6.00 = $84.00 an hour. The LS7 burns 10gallons an hour x $3.60 = $36.00 an hour. Less than half the fuel cost for more power!

Enough of my babbling. When the kit arrives, hopefully this week. I'll get pictures and keep everyone posted on the build if you all would like. I can post them here or make my own thread else where.

Thanks for reading!
Chris Gayman
best post in the whole thread. some true knowledge into it
Old 08-08-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by HutchOffical
Here's a real helicopter brand new completely built with a 750hp turbine for 200k. Much better choice
Spam...

Andrew

Last edited by speedtigger; 08-10-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 08-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Not spam when you can actually buy it.
Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Spam...

Andrew
Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 PM

https://youtu.be/-R7wIozI18k
Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Spam...

Andrew
Old 08-17-2016, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

What cmgayman said about starting the lycoming is true.. crank crank crank crank crank gets pretty annoying after a while. I'm not a fan of them after seeing what the LSCessnas can do lol.

Fixed wing guy but if I was getting into helos, this would be the one. Wicked toy and makes sense on paper both engine capabilities and fuel use.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:08 PM

Might the reason for the reduced power output be due to the transmission power rating? Note that they currently specify a Lycoming IO-540, normally rated to 320hp, that is also derated to 280hp. Either way an LS7 will just be loafing along.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,143 Likes on 2,451 Posts

Originally Posted by lewkor
Might the reason for the reduced power output be due to the transmission power rating? Note that they currently specify a Lycoming IO-540, normally rated to 320hp, that is also derated to 280hp. Either way an LS7 will just be loafing along.
And here you are, 7 years later...
Old 03-23-2023, 01:27 PM

Actually, it is 9 years later! My point is valid!

Quick Reply: LS7 Powered "Humminbird" Helicopter