Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best custom exhaust setup for LS6 Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best custom exhaust setup for LS6 Swap!

Im building a LS6 Swapped G35 Coupe. The big ticket items are bought (ls6, t56, clutch/flywheel, injectors, fast 102, 102 tb, fuel system, etc ).

Now I am looking to source out the best exhaust that I can for it, which will be custom built.

I currently have a 2.25 inch true dual HKS exhaust + test pipes pipes with resonated chambers attached to them. The setup is perfect for my NA setup (260 hp) and worked well with my Vortech SC setup, which was running 400/375tq. I love the sound that it produces!

From my reaserch, the diameters will be too small, so I decided to go custom. As the car will continue to be a daily driver, I don't want it to be loud. I don't want it to sound like I truck, if that makes any sense? Also, not looking to get eletronic cutouts.

Car will have Fast 102, 102 dwb cable driven tb, mild cam like 228/228(springs+pushrods), and long tube headers from the swap kit. Goal is to be at around 425 with some room to grow.

The headers are ceramic coated inside and out, CNC mandrel bent 1.75 inch primary tubes. ceramic coated inside and out. The headers use a 1.75 x 4 to 3inch collector and have 3 inch V band clamps and O2 sensor bungs welded to the collector.

What should be the reset of my setup built like?
Should I continue with a 3" all the way down, should I add an X-Pipe? What would be the best mufflers to add at the end to make it the best sounding exhaust? I heard good things about magnaflow.

Is there an artermarket Y pipe that swap guys use, or are they always custom?
I saw something about Kook custom Y-Pipes?

Also, of course, I rather not overspend as the whole build is a pretty penny as we all know, but I want to do it right, so bang for the buck are welcome, and btw any fabrication on this is covered in the swap labor package already

Headers (non-coated version shown):

Car:

Current Exhaust Setup:

Thanks!

Last edited by LS6G35.Swap; 02-19-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I did find this info, guys. Let me know what you think and what should be done differently:
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, it looks like you could run a Magnaflow #12599(dual 3" in/out) in place of the merger then run 3" mandrel bends out of it into a Magnaflow #11219 (3" in/out) on the left and right side. You wouldn't lose any flow so you could totally skip on using a cut-out, and considering your setup it should be fairly quiet. If you want it even quieter then run a Magnaflow # 12909 (3.5" in/out) right after the merger then run it into a single Magnaflow #14151 (3.5" in/out) or into 2 Magnaflow #11219's(3" in/out) one on each side, which should be quieter yet.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would run an x-pipe.

I had factory camaro manifolds and cats going to 2.5" with an x-pipe and e-bay magnaflow knockoff mufflers on my el camino. It was a fairly nice daily driver setup. At idle you knew it wasn`t stock, it was a little bit loud but not unreasonable. Kinda like a cross between a factory LS1 Camaro and a caddy northstar, free flowing but no particular exotic or musclecar sound to it. It would have probably been much better if I added a set of resonators. The x-pipe rusted out a couple months ago and I didn`t have the time to rebuild the whole exhaust system, so I cut it out and put 2 pieces of straight pipe in its place.

The duals with no crossover SUCK!! Feels like it took 50hp off the car and it sounds like something between an old pickup with glasspacks and a muscle car.

I would avoid an H-pipe crossover as it tends to be louder than an x-pipe and will give it more of a musclecar sound. The xpipe or y-pipe will be quieter.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Teching In

That's G-Body, I appreciate the feedback!

I also got a pm yesterday, and the guy did headers going into custom x-pipe then 3in ss pipes going to dual Magnaflow #11219 on a LS2 Miata, and the videos sound great.

Anyone else wants to help with the prior experiences? This thread could help a lot of ppl with their swap exhausts, if it gets some content. There was not a lot of custom exhausts at all in the forum....

Quick Reply: Best custom exhaust setup for LS6 Swap!