Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C request fix works for me hope it helps others.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C request fix works for me hope it helps others.

I just completed a conversion using my stock vehicle a/c wiring including (pressure sensor), just wanted to add the ls1 ECU for cut out on starting, idle raise ect ect, and what a headache this was.

SO originaly my ECM had its A/C driven by the body control module which i had deleted, so i wired the ECM directly, still with no success, I had a real time scan tool connected and everything should have worked As request was saying it was registering, I could force the a/c to work, but could not get the ecm to run it as needed. After hours of searching and reading issues others had, especially after segment swaps, I've joined a few ideas together and have it working sweet, I hope this helps others, I don't think I have re invented the wheel maybe just made it easier for others. PIN 55 (oh how hard you were to figure out)
AC Request.
Please be aware wiring this system as i have drawn/modified you need to make sure you have a pressure sensor installed in your system "pre the ls1 component" otherwise there is risk of over pressurizing the a/c system.

Name:  ACwiringACrequestnopressuresensor_zps16a6ccb2.png
Views: 20044
Size:  134.9 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by 80gus:
All_gas_NO_brakes (04-22-2020), newby96 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-26-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

So what OS are you using? The later trucks (2003-up) use serial data A/C, but doesn't use the BCM, but rather the A/C control module. Since you say LS1 I have to assume yours is a GTO? Would this work for the truck OS?
Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
So what OS are you using? The later trucks (2003-up) use serial data A/C, but doesn't use the BCM, but rather the A/C control module. Since you say LS1 I have to assume yours is a GTO? Would this work for the truck OS?
This is working on a gto based harness with a 4l80e van segment swap
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 80gus
This is working on a gto based harness with a 4l80e van segment swap
So, does this mean you are using a blue/green ecm or a blue/red ecm like referenced in your picture?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
So, does this mean you are using a blue/green ecm or a blue/red ecm like referenced in your picture?
Blue Red as per diagram
Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why you want to fake the pressure sensor other than to get the ECM to control the idle. All you need to do is this:
1. Decide on the compressor -fixed or variable.
2. Wire the system for the above with either a pressure switch for a fixed and sensor for a variable (not both).
3. Program the PCM for the compressor type.

The wiring diagram for a 02 Camaro or a 02 Express van can be followed. The Camaro uses a variable compressor with the sensor and the Express vans and trucks use a fixed compressor with a pressure switch. The difference is because the fixed compressors cycle and the variables do not. If you do not cycle the fixed compressor you may get the evaporator freezing up. Since it appears that you are running a fixed compressor you can easily eliminate the purple wire by programming the PCM to be a fixed compressor and wiring it as such. The problem you encountered is because you did not switch the type of compressor. The 04 GTO and any Red/Green OS will work the same way regardless of how the original OS is wired including the A/C systems using serial data and of course the GTO's using the BCM's.

Last edited by 69 Ghost; 05-27-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe only thing pin 55 would do is cut the A/C if the charge was low. (I would think) the cycling switch should be a no brainer if your running a fixed A/C.

So 80GUS, are you saying it didnt work till you put that resistor on pin 55 to simulate a low pressure cutout switch?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Not sure why you want to fake the pressure sensor other than to get the ECM to control the idle. All you need to do is this:
1. Decide on the compressor -fixed or variable.
2. Wire the system for the above with either a pressure switch for a fixed and sensor for a variable (not both).
3. Program the PCM for the compressor type.

The wiring diagram for a 02 Camaro or a 02 Express van can be followed. The Camaro uses a variable compressor with the sensor and the Express vans and trucks use a fixed compressor with a pressure switch. The difference is because the fixed compressors cycle and the variables do not. If you do not cycle the fixed compressor you may get the evaporator freezing up. Since it appears that you are running a fixed compressor you can easily eliminate the purple wire by programming the PCM to be a fixed compressor and wiring it as such. The problem you encountered is because you did not switch the type of compressor. The 04 GTO and any Red/Green OS will work the same way regardless of how the original OS is wired including the A/C systems using serial data and of course the GTO's using the BCM's.

I have 2 ECM's here that had both styles of compressor settings both were tried and neither would work. The resistor is needed to fake a pressure, thius wiring setup cycles via the original cars Pressure sensor and ECM, this is just a way to add the LS1 ECM into the system
Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know as Im gonna be doing just this soon enough
Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Code:
I have 2 ECM's here that had both styles of compressor settings both were tried and neither would work. The resistor is needed to fake a pressure, thius wiring setup cycles via the original cars Pressure sensor and ECM, this is just a way to add the LS1 ECM into the system
Not true. I'm running mine with factory 4th Gen wiring on a 802 pcm along with a 463 no problem. There are others running a fixed compressor without a pressure sensor.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Code:
Not true. I'm running mine with factory 4th Gen wiring on a 802 pcm along with a 463 no problem. There are others running a fixed compressor without a pressure sensor.
So are you using a green/blue connector ecm? And you have it working with the 12v request and the pressure sensor like the 98-02 f-body is wired using a red/blue connector ecm?
Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So are you using a green/blue connector ecm? And you have it working with the 12v request and the pressure sensor like the 98-02 f-body is wired using a red/blue connector ecm?
Yes I am. The setup is running a 4th gen wiring harness with a 04 GTO OS. The compressor is 4th gen the rest is a Vintage that will be eventually replaced with a factory hybrid unit.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I am. The setup is running a 4th gen wiring harness with a 04 GTO OS. The compressor is 4th gen the rest is a Vintage that will be eventually replaced with a factory hybrid unit.
Good info! I'm going to try and make the pressure sensor and analog request work on a 2005 express OS. Let's see if I have the same results.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Good info! I'm going to try and make the pressure sensor and analog request work on a 2005 express OS. Let's see if I have the same results.
If you run the Express tune, they are wired like the older99-02 trucks with the 12v request. The problem I had is I couldn't get the DBW from a 03-up truck to work. I hear that now HPTuners has an option to change the serial a/c request to 12v, I'm going to try it next time I do one.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you run the Express tune, they are wired like the older99-02 trucks with the 12v request. The problem I had is I couldn't get the DBW from a 03-up truck to work. I hear that now HPTuners has an option to change the serial a/c request to 12v, I'm going to try it next time I do one.
I'm not using HPTuners I am using Tunercat. As far as I know there is no switch to change from the serial request to 12volt. The difference again is in the wiring, etc. The OS's have the wiring built in and are turned on by A/C compressor type. Funny you should mention that you could not get your DBW to work I just tested a 05 CTSV OS and could not get the IAC to work with a cable TB even though ETC was turned off in the matrix. The 05 express van uses the same OS and is DBC. I was going to test that OS but have not gotten around to changing the tables and putting it in the car.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
It's not the request I'm unsure about, It is making a pressure sensor work with the 12v request, so the electric fans are controlled properly. The express vans were not wired for the pressure sensor and they ran a clutch fan.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not using HPTuners I am using Tunercat. As far as I know there is no switch to change from the serial request to 12volt. The difference again is in the wiring, etc. The OS's have the wiring built in and are turned on by A/C compressor type. Funny you should mention that you could not get your DBW to work I just tested a 05 CTSV OS and could not get the IAC to work with a cable TB even though ETC was turned off in the matrix. The 05 express van uses the same OS and is DBC. I was going to test that OS but have not gotten around to changing the tables and putting it in the car.
The OS is the same, but the hardware in the ecm is different. Here is a link that explains it...

http://lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm
Old 06-05-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Veteran

It's not the request I'm unsure about, It is making a pressure sensor work with the 12v request, so the electric fans are controlled properly. The express vans were not wired for the pressure sensor and they ran a clutch fan.
Ah gotcha. But why are you trying it with the van OS? Is it because you already have the blue/green PCM? Seems easier to just use a 411 type PCM and a Camaro tune. What am I missing?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The OS is the same, but the hardware in the ecm is different. Here is a link that explains it...
Not quite. The OS's are different the 04 Vette, 04 GTO, are different. The 05 CTSV and Express van's can have the same OS. The pressure sensor or switch along with the fan setup are controlled by the OS. All OS's have settings to change them. The real difference between the PCM's is if they have the IAC driver or not. Be careful if you decide to upgrade. The 243, 463, and 802 have the IAC drivers but the 242, 462, and 801's do not. If you are running a DBW setup then it does not matter. Other than that they are basically the same other than speed and memory. Note you can go to a newer PCM from the 99-02 as a plug and play but you have to change the O2 sensor wiring if you go the other way.....
Here is the reason why I prefer the newer OS's and PCM's over the 411 which is by far the most popular...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/0704gm-factory-pcms/

Last edited by 69 Ghost; 06-05-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Not quite. The OS's are different the 04 Vette, 04 GTO, are different. The 05 CTSV and Express van's can have the same OS. The pressure sensor or switch along with the fan setup are controlled by the OS. All OS's have settings to change them. The real difference between the PCM's is if they have the IAC driver or not. Be careful if you decide to upgrade. The 243, 463, and 802 have the IAC drivers but the 242, 462, and 801's do not. If you are running a DBW setup then it does not matter. Other than that they are basically the same other than speed and memory. Note you can go to a newer PCM from the 99-02 as a plug and play but you have to change the O2 sensor wiring if you go the other way.....
Here is the reason why I prefer the newer OS's and PCM's over the 411 which is by far the most popular...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/0704gm-factory-pcms/
Good read. Thanks for posting the link.

Quick Reply: A/C request fix works for me hope it helps others.