Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Here's two views from the CAD model that you G-body guys can ponder until things get a little further along in the release timeline. I can tell you that the release of the components will happen in the following order: engine mounting brackets, then headers, then transmission crossmember and finally the 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems.

The images depict the new Hooker G-body LS swap long-tube headers, engine mounting brackets, transmission crossmember and the front half of the 3" exhaust system. What you don't see is the mid-length headers, cast iron exhaust manifolds and all the adapters that also allow bolting those components up to the same exhaust system for guys who choose to go that route.

For those interested, the crossmember will allow installation of a 4L80-4L85, 4L60-4L75, 2004R, TH400, T56 or T56 Magnum transmission, which is made possible through 2 different adapter brackets that attach to the center of the crossmember that aren't shown in the CAD model here.

That flexibility should prove to be a valued benefit to many swappers as changing from a 4L60 or 2004R to a 4L80 (or change to any other trans listed) after the initial swap seems to be quite common.

Another nice point to mention about the long-tubes is the fact that they can be installed with a 4L80E/4L85E trans without having to butcher the trans case in the bellhousing area like what is needed with some of the headers currently being used in this application.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
g-body-ls-swap-headers_drive.pdf (275.3 KB, 1172 views)
File Type: pdf
g-body-ls-swap-headers_pass.pdf (282.9 KB, 811 views)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the release dates are when.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Number1
So the release dates are when.
The process is still rather fluid at this point, so all I can provide you with is an estimate based on where things are at currently and my experience with previous swap systems we've already developed and released. My best guess is as follows: engine mounts 15-25 days, headers and crossmember 30-45 days, exhaust systems 45-60 days.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Any pictures of the car? Also will the exhaust be available in powder coat black?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Any pictures of the car? Also will the exhaust be available in powder coat black?
I will begin posting photos of the components installed on our shop Monte Carlo SS near the end of the coming week. The exhaust systems will be available in raw stainless steel only with no coating options. Incidentally, your desire for a black coated system could be handled easily through aftermarket sources of ceramic coating services.

Thanks for the inquiry
Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

[IMG][/IMG]The pre-production Hooker engine mounting brackets were installed and validated today without having any issues, which means they will be released for production and be the first of the new Hooker G-body swap parts to make it up on the shelf. The attached photo shows them installed on the car with the front of the Holley 302-2 pan also visible in the shot. The pre-production transmission crossmember will be going through its final evaluation tomorrow before also being released for production and I will post up photos of that as well for those interested in it.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Looks good thus far! I am very interested in the total package. Especially a trans crossmember for a t56 magnum transmission
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss
Looks good thus far! I am very interested in the total package. Especially a trans crossmember for a t56 magnum transmission
Thanks for following along and your interest. Your transmission accommodation request will be no problem as the modular design of the new Hooker crossmember was CAD modeled to permit installation of a T56, T56 Magnum, 4L60-4L75, 4L80/4L85, TH400 or 2004R transmission...that took quite a bit of head scratching to pull off I can assure you. Due to this unique design characteristic, you can make future transmission type changes without having too buy another crossmember.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome parts from an awesome company. Thank you for sharing and keeping us up to date.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Awesome parts from an awesome company. Thank you for sharing and keeping us up to date.
You bet, I enjoy sharing updates and providing inside info you guys would be hard pressed to get through the normal channels this early in the process.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Are those motor mounts connected to the factory clamshell mounts or something else?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Are those motor mounts connected to the factory clamshell mounts or something else?
Yes, they are designed for use with the factory clamshells.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Do you think there is a possibility of any kind of package deal?
Thanks, Jim.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you think there is a possibility of any kind of package deal?
Thanks, Jim.
I'm not sure, but between all the tube size, coating and material options that will be available with the cast iron manifolds, mid-length headers and long-tube headers the scope of the part numbers it would create to make kits would be mind numbing. For example, the cast iron manifolds are available in four different finishes and the mid-length and long-tube headers will both be available with 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries and three ceramic color options in mild steel or full stainless steel construction. It's not in the realm of my duties to makes those types of final decisions, but I can't see how that could work out without causing quite a bit of confusion and backorder issues. The most I could see making sense would be to offer the engine mounts and crossmember as a combined kit...I will be sure to convey your inquiry to those at Holley that make those decisions.

Thanks for expressing your interest in a combined kit.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I am really interested in the mounts and the crossmember. Interested also in seeing how the t56 magnum fits with the crossmember.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks. I am really interested in the mounts and the crossmember. Interested also in seeing how the t56 magnum fits with the crossmember.
I won't have any in-car photos to show you of the T56 Magnum sitting on the crossmember as our shop Monte Carlo SS is getting outfitted with a 6.0L/4L80 combo. I can however put a floor assembly together for you and take a photo of it to show you how a T56 or T56 Magnum attaches to the crossmember if you like.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

toddoky,Please take pictures of the headers when mounted on the engine installed in the car and before any exhaust is installed on the headers. I am using the BRP kit for a G body 87 Buick T-Type which includes the Hedman Hustler 1 7/8 long tube headers. The Drivers side fits perfect. The Passenger side hangs at least a couple of inches lower and points to the right rear lower control arm. This in turn is making my Pypes 3" X pipe crossover cockeyed. My Pass side header is right now at Hedman Hustler Headers. Has been for about a week. It was addressed to a certain individual and they received it on Monday 7/14 according to the tracking number. Friday 7/18 I called and this individual (Phillip W.) didn't know anything about the header being there. I did sort of flipped out because there is a whole lot more to this story but this is YOUR thread. BRP doesn't really want to know anything because they said that they didn't make the headers. They told me to call this Phillip W. and that is where my problem is. He told me to "take your transmission jack and jack the header up and it should POP INTO PLACE". (Incidentally it was JACKED UP with pressure applied for 2 FULL DAYS). By the way MANY PHOTOS were Emailed to this Phillip W. He also refuses to pay the $46.00 to ship this header back. I didn't make this header Hedman did and I don't feel that I should pay to have it sent back when they screwed up. Oh almost forgot 2 of the primary tubes were rubbing together causing a squeaking just by pushing up with your hand. Can you imagine going down the road over some small bumps? In any event I am sorry to Hi Jack your thread but at the same time I want to let readers of YOUR thread know that they have an alternative to the BRP/Hedman kit. I am sure that they would get more and better customer service by going with the Hooker kit. If Hedman makes good I will then retract what I have said but so far their Customer Service SUCKS. When all is said and done I will then go into more detail with pictures in a thread of my own. In the meantime your readers that are waiting for your designed kit for Hooker might be better off waiting a little longer. You never know I might have to be a Hooker header customer myself depending on what Hedman Hustler does to take care of my problem. Rich
Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I won't have any in-car photos to show you of the T56 Magnum sitting on the crossmember as our shop Monte Carlo SS is getting outfitted with a 6.0L/4L80 combo. I can however put a floor assembly together for you and take a photo of it to show you how a T56 or T56 Magnum attaches to the crossmember if you like.
Thanks. I would appreciate that very much.
Jim
Old 07-23-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TURBO BUICK
toddoky,Please take pictures of the headers when mounted on the engine installed in the car and before any exhaust is installed on the headers. I am using the BRP kit for a G body 87 Buick T-Type which includes the Hedman Hustler 1 7/8 long tube headers. The Drivers side fits perfect. The Passenger side hangs at least a couple of inches lower and points to the right rear lower control arm. This in turn is making my Pypes 3" X pipe crossover cockeyed. My Pass side header is right now at Hedman Hustler Headers. Has been for about a week. It was addressed to a certain individual and they received it on Monday 7/14 according to the tracking number. Friday 7/18 I called and this individual (Phillip W.) didn't know anything about the header being there. I did sort of flipped out because there is a whole lot more to this story but this is YOUR thread. BRP doesn't really want to know anything because they said that they didn't make the headers. They told me to call this Phillip W. and that is where my problem is. He told me to "take your transmission jack and jack the header up and it should POP INTO PLACE". (Incidentally it was JACKED UP with pressure applied for 2 FULL DAYS). By the way MANY PHOTOS were Emailed to this Phillip W. He also refuses to pay the $46.00 to ship this header back. I didn't make this header Hedman did and I don't feel that I should pay to have it sent back when they screwed up. Oh almost forgot 2 of the primary tubes were rubbing together causing a squeaking just by pushing up with your hand. Can you imagine going down the road over some small bumps? In any event I am sorry to Hi Jack your thread but at the same time I want to let readers of YOUR thread know that they have an alternative to the BRP/Hedman kit. I am sure that they would get more and better customer service by going with the Hooker kit. If Hedman makes good I will then retract what I have said but so far their Customer Service SUCKS. When all is said and done I will then go into more detail with pictures in a thread of my own. In the meantime your readers that are waiting for your designed kit for Hooker might be better off waiting a little longer. You never know I might have to be a Hooker header customer myself depending on what Hedman Hustler does to take care of my problem. Rich
Hello Rich. I'm sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience and hope that you get it resolved. As I don't know anything about the structure of the design process at either BRP or Hedman, I cannot comment on the quality of design of their products or the thought process behind them. I can however comment on the process structure used here to develop new Hooker LS swap system parts and what goes on behind the scenes to ensure we are delivering a well thought out and well engineered product to our customers.

Holley has made quite an investment in bringing in skilled/experienced design personnel and CAD resources to ensure that new Hooker products coming out today resolve common issues inherent in these swaps and address the types of concerns you mention and do it at a reasonable cost to you the use.

Since we control the design geometry of the engine mounts, oil pan, transmission crossmember, headers and exhaust systems all within the CAD design model, we do not have to make compromises to the design of any of the components to compensate for an undesirable feature or characteristic of one or more of the other components...they are all designed at the same time, which nets a far better level of fitment and function than a collection of components from various sources that were not collectively designed with each other in mind.

So, that means for instance that the collectors of the Hooker long-tube headers for this application are perfectly level with each other and the horizontal plane of the engine and will provide bolt-in attachment to the Hooker 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems that will also be available.

For those planning on running a 4L80 transmission, you also won't have to take a Sawzall or grinder to your transmission bellhousing to get these new headers installed as you do with many other headers that are currently being sold for this application.

We just have different ways of doing things here and are hopeful they will become of value to end users such as yourself.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I might have to start putting some change to the side soon and get these mounts/crossmember and headers.

I went through quite a task with 1" setback adapter plates, notching the HVAC box (not big of a deal as Im excellent when it comes to fiberglass work lol) and not to mention the mods needed to get Pacesetter Fbody long tubes to fit.

I'm curious if its possible or too late to design a passenger side mount that's offset a little? These mounts seem to reuse the factory SBC frame mounts/pads and your mounts bolt to those.

Is it possible to offset the passenger side to move the SBC frame pad just a little farther back so that those that wish to notch the frame a little can get low mount A/C?

Sort of like this..

This is a 96 Impala ss frame, same frame as any 1977 and up caprice/impala(except those years had frames pads mounted like a gbody). With the LT1 they moved the passenger side mount back a little and the frames from 94-96 SS were factory notched already for the A/C

Name:  frame1.jpg
Views: 17689
Size:  126.2 KB

Not sure if it would be something Hooker thinks they could profit off of by offering just one passenger side mount as a custom option. Or if its worth it to put the time in developing one.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview