Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
In a G body this shouldn't make a difference. Both set ups use the column interlock linkage required for key lock, neutral safety and reverse lights. Whether the car is a floor shift or not does not change said linkage geometry. GM used the same set up for both versions.
Yes, I understand that as such, but I always like to know as much detail as I can about a user's set-up before offering up answers or recommendations. The short answer is that compatibility between the stock linkage and the Hooker headers is unknown as it was chosen to not be used in the build of our shop MCSS.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You have a complete column shifted set-up, or a floor shifter with the column mounted gear indicator/pointer?
My car does not have a floor shift, it has a stock factory column shift only.
I understand your test mule MCSS was a floor shift model and compatibility with a column shift was not checked.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this awesome thread. I kinda wish I'd have found it BEFORE I bought my system, but here I am anyway! It's my understanding that headers won't clear the shift linkage with a column shift...or at least that's what I was told a Summit. I have an 83 Pontiac Bonneville wagon that I'm (slowly) working on. All the parts are there...just not the time right now. Since I was advised the headers might not work, I went with manifolds.

A couple of times in this thread, it's been mentioned bringing in an El Camino to study or fab exhaust. Has any progress been made in that regard? As an alternative to fabbing a new exhaust system, has any discussion been had to make the individual exhaust kit pieces available?

I really like the workmanship and the reviews I've read about this system. I'd love to use it to complete my wagon, if I could.

Thanks again to Todd and everyone who's had constructive things to say on this thread. I can't wait to get my Bonney under new power!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
My car does not have a floor shift, it has a stock factory column shift only.
I understand your test mule MCSS was a floor shift model and compatibility with a column shift was not checked.

You will need something like this
Old 10-21-2015, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Default The all hooker gbody swap is complete

Used the complete system ..very easy to install and fit like a dream .. Very happy with going this route
Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtyratt
Used the complete system ..very easy to install and fit like a dream .. Very happy with going this route
Glad to hear about your positive experience dirtyratt...now we need pics!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Last edited by dirtyratt; 10-22-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

In for more pics
Old 12-02-2015, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toddoky,

you said to me earlier in the thread that the only accessory drive that will clear a lee steering box is the truck setup. does it clear with the original truck p/s pulley or must it be changed out to a smaller diameter pulley? were any other pulleys tried out on the vette drive? i'm assuming the alternator is what doesn't clear on the fbody drive system. is that true for both the 5th gen fbody and the 4th gen?
sorry for the questions again, but i bought a lee box to replace my factory box (leaking due to porous case) long before i got the hooker mounts etc. i'm just trying to decide if it is worth the experimentation with different pulleys/alternators on the various accessory drive setups. i think the truck accessories are hideous.

Last edited by WFO_SS; 12-02-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uppity
Old 12-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WFO_SS
toddoky,

you said to me earlier in the thread that the only accessory drive that will clear a lee steering box is the truck setup. does it clear with the original truck p/s pulley or must it be changed out to a smaller diameter pulley? were any other pulleys tried out on the vette drive? i'm assuming the alternator is what doesn't clear on the fbody drive system. is that true for both the 5th gen fbody and the 4th gen?
sorry for the questions again, but i bought a lee box to replace my factory box (leaking due to porous case) long before i got the hooker mounts etc. i'm just trying to decide if it is worth the experimentation with different pulleys/alternators on the various accessory drive setups. i think the truck accessories are hideous.
The truck acc. drive set-up fits with the stock pulley. The Corvette acc. drive should fit as the design of the Holley acc. drive bracket is based on it and we have one installed/running on our shop Monte Carlo SS(a smaller PS pump pulley is required I believe)...you can only run it at the Corvette spacing however as it will not clear when spaced out to work with the F-body or truck set-ups.

The 4th-gen F-body accessory drive system is compatible if you are using the Hooker engine brackets.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The tank and sending unit/fuel pump carriage assembly used on our Monte were in fact Grand National parts. The pump that was installed in the carriage was a Holley part, as were the filters and regulator. The hoses and fittings were all from our Earls product line.
Toddoky, what are the part numbers for the Holley in tank pump, filters and regulators?
What type and size of Earls hose did you run?
Is that the regulator mounted on the firewall behind the engine?
Sorry for the questions, I'm just gathering parts needed for the swap.
I already have the Holley mounts, trans crossmember and 302-2 pan.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Toddoky, what are the part numbers for the Holley in tank pump, filters and regulators?
What type and size of Earls hose did you run?
Is that the regulator mounted on the firewall behind the engine?
Sorry for the questions, I'm just gathering parts needed for the swap.
I already have the Holley mounts, trans crossmember and 302-2 pan.
Racetronix sells a drop in sending unit with a choice of pumps . You will need a 255lph. You can even get the sending unit with an fittings . This is the route I went
Old 12-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks jimmyg, a Racetronix pump is on my option list, just thought I'd consider all Holley.
Am I correct to assume the pump you pictured only fits a GN or 4.3FI Monte Carlo tank?
Is this the correct part number?
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...7RXP255&eq=&Tp=

Last edited by upflying; 12-10-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Should fit both tanks. I'm using a gn replacement sender and walbro 255 pump in my stock carb monte carlo tank.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Should fit both tanks. I'm using a gn replacement sender and walbro 255 pump in my stock carb monte carlo tank.
When you mention "gn replacement sender", do you mean this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectra-Prem...VVzPbp&vxp=mtr
Old 12-10-2015, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, I bought that same one from napa, bought a walbro 255 pumpfrom summit and it was all plug and play.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks jimmyg, a Racetronix pump is on my option list, just thought I'd consider all Holley.
Am I correct to assume the pump you pictured only fits a GN or 4.3FI Monte Carlo tank?
Is this the correct part number?
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...7RXP255&eq=&Tp=
Yes that one will work. You can buy a sender for a gn and put a holley or walbro 255 on it too .might be a little cheaper .if your going to use a corvette filter/reg,, get a wix or a gm . The cheaper ones are junk
Old 12-11-2015, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The racetronix sending unit works like a dream I put an aeromotive 340 in mine and no problems. The an fittings make all the difference, no worries about not sealing a high pressure line
Old 12-11-2015, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

i like the racetronix units as well....this is what i put in a gn tank for my swap.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...450EAN&eq=&Tp=

01cherryreds10 you're right the an fittings on the sending unit are nice to have

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview