Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I don't recall if the truck intake will clear the hood or not with the Hooker engine brackets, but I'm fairly certain you'll find the answer to that question within the pages of this thread.
From what I've found it clears without the cover on.

With the holley pan, will I be able to just buy the pan and use the windage tray and dipstick that I have?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can reuse your windage tray if you're using a truck motor. It's setup to use an F-Body tray, but the truck one only requires a bit of trimming to fit with the 302-2 pan. It says to use an LS3 dipstick, but I ended up reusing my old truck dipstick.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The truck intake will clear with the hooker mounts. Put it this way, my Whipple 2.9 clears with the hooker mounts lol.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyg
The truck intake will clear with the hooker mounts. Put it this way, my Whipple 2.9 clears with the hooker mounts lol.
Thanks for the assist jimmyg...I knew a user would chime in with the answer. I've done so many swap applications now I can't remember the details of each one without checking my notes. Man I'm getting old.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

I just read this whole thread and damn it....Now I want to build a Monte Carlo SS...

Andrew
Old 11-29-2016, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the 3" stainless header back system and am very satisfied.
Also have the holly oil pan..

Glad to see there are plenty of options now as these were not around when I started my project..

When I started I had purchased John Bs mounts and had to have custom stainless headers made.

Sorry if I missed it, but is there enough clearance for a column shift car?

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I just read this whole thread and damn it....Now I want to build a Monte Carlo SS...

Andrew
I say do it Andrew, one can never have too many LS powered cars.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
I purchased the 3" stainless header back system and am very satisfied.
Also have the holly oil pan..

Glad to see there are plenty of options now as these were not around when I started my project..

When I started I had purchased John Bs mounts and had to have custom stainless headers made.

Sorry if I missed it, but is there enough clearance for a column shift car?

Regards,

Matt
Yes, clearance is there for column shift linkage, but not for the stock rod. You'll have to get creative a make a custom one for the space provided.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Yes, clearance is there for column shift linkage, but not for the stock rod. You'll have to get creative a make a custom one for the space provided.

Thanks much for the quick response..

Now that I look at your response I see i should have distilled this down better.

First, On the clears column shift linkage response.. I assume what you mean by this is the ratcheting/shift control assembly, normally tethered to a column auto trans?

Then second ,on the need to modify the stock rod, do you mean the horizontal rod thats supported at the frame, extends over the header and connects to the trans linkage?

If the above is correct, then this makes sense but additionally, I forgot to ask specifically about the z bar, which is the vertical bar that extends down from the column and connects to the aforementioned stock rod.

I ask as my Z bar had to be modified for my custom headers as to not interfere and annoyingly rattle on it.

I also ask as There are others like me, albeit more than likely much smaller than the console shift crowd, that still desire to retain the column shift.

And just Good to know when going down that path as to whats required.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Now that I look at your response I see i should have distilled this down better.

First, On the clears column shift linkage response.. I assume what you mean by this is the ratcheting/shift control assembly, normally tethered to a column auto trans?

Then second ,on the need to modify the stock rod, do you mean the horizontal rod thats supported at the frame, extends over the header and connects to the trans linkage?

If the above is correct, then this makes sense but additionally, I forgot to ask specifically about the z bar, which is the vertical bar that extends down from the column and connects to the aforementioned stock rod.

I ask as my Z bar had to be modified for my custom headers as to not interfere and annoyingly rattle on it.

I also ask as There are others like me, albeit more than likely much smaller than the console shift crowd, that still desire to retain the column shift.

Regards,

Matt
The Z-bar linkage set-up may have to go and be replaced with a Lokar-type set-up. I was wanting to build out that part of the swap on our project Monte, but was not afforded the time to see it through to be able to give more guidance. I have seen one user on this forum work through it, but I don't remember his user name.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

G body James is using the Holley exhaust with a Column shift in a regal
Old 12-03-2016, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Default It was me!!!! Haha

The Z-bar linkage set-up may have to go and be replaced with a Lokar-type set-up. I was wanting to build out that part of the swap on our project Monte, but was not afforded the time to see it through to be able to give more guidance. I have seen one user on this forum work through it, but I don't remember his user name.
yes jmmy is correct I was the one who did the column shift but I used Holley, motor mounts, stainless headers and a TH350 but I'm sure my process will be close to the same as yours and maybe it can help check my YouTube channel "G-Body James". Under playlist "GBody magnuson Supercharged LS3 swap" it is videos #8 and 9 where I go through the lokar shift linkage I used and had to customize I ran the car all summer without an issue now changing to floor shift with a. July th400!!
Havent been on the forums for a while!!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by G-BODY-JAMES
yes jmmy is correct I was the one who did the column shift but I used Holley, motor mounts, stainless headers and a TH350 but I'm sure my process will be close to the same as yours and maybe it can help check my YouTube channel "G-Body James". Under playlist "GBody magnuson Supercharged LS3 swap" it is videos #8 and 9 where I go through the lokar shift linkage I used and had to customize I ran the car all summer without an issue now changing to floor shift with a. July th400!!
Havent been on the forums for a while!!
Thanks for posting, I couldn't remember who went through the process of installing the Lokar shift linkage.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Regards,

Matt

4L80 trans?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-BODY-JAMES
4L80 trans?
Sorry I missed this.. I have the 4L65E in my swap.

Mine is already squared away with custom Mounts and Headers but was asking in general for others, that desire the end to end Holley set-up, regarding whats involved.

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-30-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Excellent work - Toddoky and the folks at Holley hit a home run on the 1-7/8" headers! The MSD wires and plug boots are no where close to the primaries. I can access all of the plugs without any special tools or gymnastics. Starter access and installation looks like it should be a breeze too.

I am really glad I spent the money on these. Pics here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post19491706

The only "issue" I found was with my attempt to install a pressure sender next to the oil filter.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Excellent work - Toddoky and the folks at Holley hit a home run on the 1-7/8" headers! The MSD wires and plug boots are no where close to the primaries. I can access all of the plugs without any special tools or gymnastics. Starter access and installation looks like it should be a breeze too.

I am really glad I spent the money on these. Pics here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post19491706

The only "issue" I found was with my attempt to install a pressure sender next to the oil filter.

I used a very good part made by AeroFlow for my oil pressure (mechanical) yet still keeping the plug for ecu and located in factory position (LS3) behind the intake, part # AF 166-05-02BLK
Heres a video of it
https://youtu.be/WXzbJl8WQVs
Old 12-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Excellent work - Toddoky and the folks at Holley hit a home run on the 1-7/8" headers!
Agreed. The Holley guys did their homework and provide a good product for the G body guys.....In my opinion it's the best engineered system available hands down. My only complaints are: 1) The factory Z bar for the shifter to steering column interlock can't be used. The Lokar cable might be an option but that looks like a PITA to me 2) The oil pressure sender and or oil cooling lines are too close to the headers as noted above. I finally found a T fitting with the correct threads in England of all places. It allowed me to T the oil port behind the intake.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could use a 45 deg fitting to angle the sensor away from the headers.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna
You could use a 45 deg fitting to angle the sensor away from the headers.
Or flip the assembly, or drill and tap a hole in the bottom, or run a flex line to a remote location... I am considering a lot of different options. But, I appreciate the advice.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview