Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I’m sorry to hear about your experience with the mufflers 2Aspire. I was contacted by another G-body system user with a similar experience earlier in the year, so it seems I will have to look into the matter further.
Thank you sir. I sincerely appreciate it.

Just an FYI from my perspective: In addition to your willingness to re-calibrate once issues are disclosed I will also say this.......At least you guys tried to make it right by offering me alternatives which goes a long way for me regarding quality issues.

The tech crew I dealt with and returns associates were also polite and professional which also goes a long way.

Regards,

Matt
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (04-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for your positive feedback on the efforts of the folks at Holley to find a solution for you. I understand your frustration with your situation; sometimes things like this happen and we do our best to investigate and correct design or manufacturing issues when they present themselves.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400-450hp, sounds like most combos would push that limit. I wish they would offer the exhaust minus mufflers!
Old 04-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Launching!

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with the mufflers 2Aspire. I was contacted by another G-body system user with a similar experience earlier in the year, so it seems I will have to look into the matter further.
Recently cleared the dust off my ride and am driving but also now reminded that my 2nd pair of new polished stainless mufflers are toast inside. Any update to these internal weaknesses? Or plan to address?
Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Can someone please measure the g-body motor mounts and post the distance from where it mounts to the engine block to the center of one of the the mounting tabs. This is the hole the motor mount bolts go through.
I searched and couldn't find anything, called Holley and they couldn't find anything. They also don't have any mounts laying around to take a measurement.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 35spline
Can someone please measure the g-body motor mounts and post the distance from where it mounts to the engine block to the center of one of the the mounting tabs. This is the hole the motor mount bolts go through.
I searched and couldn't find anything, called Holley and they couldn't find anything. They also don't have any mounts laying around to take a measurement.
Keep in mind that any answer you get will be of little use to you unless the the mounting brackets you are comparing them to also relocate the clamshell mounts further rearward on the engine crossmember like the Hooker Blackheart engine brackets do.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
Recently cleared the dust off my ride and am driving but also now reminded that my 2nd pair of new polished stainless mufflers are toast inside. Any update to these internal weaknesses? Or plan to address?
Looks like I missed this post of yours 2Aspire. May I ask of you what the failure mode is of your mufflers? Did they fail mechanically/structurally, or did the packing degrade/blow out? The few failures I’ve seen logged through tech service all seem to have been in use on supercharged applications, so if yours is also of that nature I can use the information to look into it further.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is Holley's LS motor mount for G body & a G body frame side mount. Is there a dimension on it you are looking for? If so, which exactly?

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview-nxyibjz.jpg
Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Looks like I missed this post of yours 2Aspire. May I ask of you what the failure mode is of your mufflers? Did they fail mechanically/structurally, or did the packing degrade/blow out? The few failures I’ve seen logged through tech service all seem to have been in use on supercharged applications, so if yours is also of that nature I can use the information to look into it further.
The exact description I was told was that the internal baffles/ structure was disintegrated. And yes I had advised that my application is supercharged.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Here is Holley's LS motor mount for G body & a G body frame side mount. Is there a dimension on it you are looking for? If so, which exactly?
Looking at your pic it would be from the center of the bolt down to the surface of the brick it is sitting on (or the back side of the bracket).
Old 05-17-2019, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I understand now that you are looking for the height measurement of the Hooker Blackheart engine ,mounting brackets 35spline, I misunderstood you previously. That dimension is 2-3/16" (rounded).

Last edited by Toddoky; 05-17-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This distance? I drew it & had some cut, I needed 1" farther back, I will double check tonight that this is right. Todd above says it is 2 3/16".

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview-p4g5wat.jpg

Last edited by samckitt; 05-17-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Yes that's it. Thanks and it would be great if you could confirm 2.52" or 2 3/16".
Old 05-21-2019, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes that's it. Thanks and it would be great if you could confirm 2.52" or 2 3/16".
They are 2-3/16" I didn't change my drawing after having them cut, I had to cut some off the bottom before welding up.

Last edited by samckitt; 07-01-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

I haven't checked into this thread for a while, so I thought I'd drop in and post a couple of in-process photos of an LS/T56 Magnum set-up being installed in our Holley El Camino development vehicle using the Hooker Blackheart G-body swap system mounting components and exhaust manifolds along with the Holley low-mount accessory drive system. I will post other images of this project over the coming weeks as it progresses towards completion.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Great info here. In the middle of dropping an LQ4 with 4L80e in a 88 MCSS. Using almost the full Holley kit (mounts, X-Member with 4l80e plate, and long tube headers). the motor and trans are in, i am curious will the headers clear the ears of the transmission on the 4L80e? None of the Pics on this post have a clear shot and I am getting mixed answers \ opinions on other sites.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JmBurk
Great info here. In the middle of dropping an LQ4 with 4L80e in a 88 MCSS. Using almost the full Holley kit (mounts, X-Member with 4l80e plate, and long tube headers). the motor and trans are in, i am curious will the headers clear the ears of the transmission on the 4L80e? None of the Pics on this post have a clear shot and I am getting mixed answers \ opinions on other sites.
Thanks for posting. Yes, you should anticipate having to trim the ears back on the sides of the 4L80E bellhousing by some amount.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Alright, just read through this whole thread and wanted to get some slight clarification on a few things. I picked up a (supposedly, haven’t confirmed year yet) 1981 Chevy Malibu. Obviously don’t know much about the car yet, but it has a 267 V8, assuming TH350 trans, A/C, and power steering. I would like to perform a basic LS swap and keep as much stock to the car as possible, including the transmission. This will be a carb build so I’m not concerned with hood clearance from an intake.

1. Seems to be mixed feedback on A/C box clearance. I do NOT want to modify this, so is there a solid solution if there is interference? I saw someone mentioned Gen III coils provide better clearance, and one other person deviated from the directions and installed the mounts in different holes.

2. Ideally I will just cheap out and source a complete LM7 from a truck, including all front drive accessories. Will truck accessories fit without interference? Someone mentioned clearances with different steering boxes, but I do not know what type this car will have. It also appears that in order to keep A/C I would need a Holley accessory bracket, or is there other ways of doing this without any modifications to the car body or frame?

3. Does the Holley crossmember also function with a TH350? I don’t recall seeing that listed.

4. Was there a plug and play solution for the column shifter found?

5. Is the 302-2 still the recommended pan for this swap?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

1. Seems to be mixed feedback on A/C box clearance. I do NOT want to modify this, so is there a solid solution if there is interference? I saw someone mentioned Gen III coils provide better clearance, and one other person deviated from the directions and installed the mounts in different holes. The Holley 86' El Camino and Monte Carlo SS project cars are both equipped with the Hooker Blackheart LS swap system components and the stock A/C evaporator cases are in use in both of them. The El Camino has about 1/4" clearance between the right side valve cover and the evaporator case...it's tight, but it works if you are careful and patient in installing the engine and transmission in the car.

2. Ideally I will just cheap out and source a complete LM7 from a truck, including all front drive accessories. Will truck accessories fit without interference? Someone mentioned clearances with different steering boxes, but I do not know what type this car will have. It also appears that in order to keep A/C I would need a Holley accessory bracket, or is there other ways of doing this without any modifications to the car body or frame? The truck accessory drive will bolt-in with the exception of the stock A/C compressor, which you'll have to notch the front of the frame to clear. Your car will have either a 605 type steering box or a Saginaw quick ratio 700/800 series steering box (it will most likely be the 605 on a typical non-performance model G-body). The 605 steering box would allow you to move the mounts forward on the frame to provide more clearance for the stock A/C compressor, but it's a shitty box for performance driving applications and many users upgrade to the Saginaw quick ratio box used in the hi-performance model G-body cars, or to a Delphi 600 series steering box. The stock truck power steering pump pulley will not clear the Saginaw quick ratio or Delphi 600 boxes with the engine moved forward from the intended mounting position.

3. Does the Holley crossmember also function with a TH350? I don’t recall seeing that listed. No, the Hooker Blackheart crossmember cannot be used to install a TH350 transmission, but the stock TH350 crossmember can be used by slotting the mount holes in the center tab forward by about 3/4" or so. That is only the case if the engine mounts are located in the intended position on the frame, it no longer applies if you move the mounts forward on the frame to gain clearance for the stock truck A/C compressor.

4. Was there a plug and play solution for the column shifter found? Not here at Holley, we used the B&M Quicksilver shifter to control a 4L80E in the build of the Monte Carlo SS and the El Camino is equipped with a T56 transmission. I'm sure there are users out there who have gotten the stock shift linkage operational, but I've not come across such cases.

5. Is the 302-2 still the recommended pan for this swap? The 302-2 or 302-3 pans will both work equally well in this application.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Thank you Todd! 1/4” on the evaporator would be acceptable, I saw your initial install had 5/8” (I’m hoping I get that lucky!), but either way I’m sure removing the coils, bracket, and likely valve cover would go a long way on making the engine wedge in there a little better.

So, the truck accessories will fit fine and the PS pulley will clear either style steering box just fine as long as I’m using the intended holes. I don’t want to use the stock truck compressor or notch the frame, so as long as the Holley high mount A/C with the OE style compressor will be compatible with the truck accessories, that would be a good setup.

I haven’t been under to look at the TH350 crossmember, but would it still be compatible with the Holley exhaust system? Or what keeps the Holley crossmember from working with a TH350? The mounting pad is pretty close to a 4L60e.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview