Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Porsche swap!! 911 996 w/ ls6 v8

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhunter
Sub'd. Data collection for future build.

Question for any 996 LS owner: Once the car is complete, does anyone have an idea of what kind of 'resale' price the car will bring?

I know what the Renegade guys charge for a completed 'turn key' car but what's important is what is someone willing to pay for the car if you decide to sell it or build a different car... Ideas?
I sold my car for low 20's with the swap. Stock, it was worth mid teen's. Countless hours went into the build and I did it on a budget. Overall, if you're trying to make up for the time you spend on the car with $$, it's a losing prospect. If you're looking to not completely lose your *** in the build whenever it comes time to sell, you'll be okay.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by White Out
I sold my car for low 20's with the swap. Stock, it was worth mid teen's. Countless hours went into the build and I did it on a budget. Overall, if you're trying to make up for the time you spend on the car with $$, it's a losing prospect. If you're looking to not completely lose your *** in the build whenever it comes time to sell, you'll be okay.
Thank You White Out, great tip . My goal would be to not loose my butt as I'm not too worried about my time. I just wondered if I could cover the cost of the car, motor and parts if I were to sell. So looking at some rough numbers, here's what I had. Please correct me if I'm way off base.

'99-'00 996 Cab in ATL runs $15-17K (good clean car, 80-100K miles)
Sell the motor for $6K
New LS3 crate motor $7K
Renegade kit $5.5K
Misc Extra Parts $2K

So that's a Net $24K range based on above info. I'm sure a clean used motor could cut the cost down. Is there another company that can cut out Renegade or produce quality parts at a lower cost?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Launching!

That sounds about right.

You can save a significant amount of money ($1k) by going with an LS3/LS7 water pump over the Renegade electric pump.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You White Out, great tip . My goal would be to not loose my butt as I'm not too worried about my time. I just wondered if I could cover the cost of the car, motor and parts if I were to sell. So looking at some rough numbers, here's what I had. Please correct me if I'm way off base.

'99-'00 996 Cab in ATL runs $15-17K (good clean car, 80-100K miles)
Sell the motor for $6K
New LS3 crate motor $7K
Renegade kit $5.5K
Misc Extra Parts $2K

So that's a Net $24K range based on above info. I'm sure a clean used motor could cut the cost down. Is there another company that can cut out Renegade or produce quality parts at a lower cost?
plus thousands of dollars in little things. Don't forget the small stuff adds up ridiculously fast
Old 05-20-2015, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Here is my build total todate.

2001 Porsche C2 Convert = $9,500
Built LS2 = $6,000
RH kit =$3,400
Wiring Harness =$1,000
Exhaust =$1,000
Misc. Parts to finish =$1,000

Total =$21,900
Old 05-20-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be surprised to see a 80k to 100k miles used 996 engine go for $6k, unless it has the full IMS updates. I think the crate motors new from Porsche aren't much more ~ $9k.

I'd propose find a nice 996 with a blown motor due to IMS, take the $10k credit on the car price and build from there. (Sadly, they are quite common) A seller with a crippled car faces labor and parts costs to replace / rebuild the engine and at Porsche labor rates, which could be deducted (at least mostly) from the sales price.

I saw a 996 Twin turbo, very clean for sale on Craigslist for $28k in Orange County CA a few months back. That would be a really awesome platform for a high HP LS swap.

Doug
Old 05-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Teching In

4LUX & DW - Great info. Its better to know this stuff now vs later. Based on my numbers and your actual, I'm in the ball park.

I was in Vegas 2 weeks ago and made a trip to Renegade (super nice guys). They told me that the '99-2000 996 cars were a little easier to wire and to make the computers communicate together. Is this really a big deal? Like you, I may be able to find a little newer or nicer car with a blown motor. Just looking for advice on the years. - Thanks John
Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

4LUX & DW - Great info. Its better to know this stuff now vs later. Based on my numbers and your actual, I'm in the ball park.

I was in Vegas 2 weeks ago and made a trip to Renegade (super nice guys). They told me that the '99-2000 996 cars were a little easier to wire and to make the computers communicate together. Is this really a big deal? Like you, I may be able to find a little newer or nicer car with a blown motor. Just looking for advice on the years. - Thanks John
My 2001 is the same DME as the 99'-00'. The Late 2001-2005 have the CANBUS computer system that is a little bit more challenging. My car was a theft recovery, which the engine was stolen. Prefect car and price for what I want to do. Know the car has a re-builder title, but I really did not care.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Default Good looking swap

I had one of these built by renegade hybrids many years ago, and didn't do my homework first. I could've bought everything from KEP and saved a lot of money over their Mark up. The few "exclusive" pieces they put on had to be removed and replaced before the car would work. You went the right way.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lcmixon
The few "exclusive" pieces they put on had to be removed and replaced before the car would work. You went the right way.
Are you referring to the electric water pump and steering pump?
If yes, did you finally have to cut out some sheet metal to make space for a mechanical pump? I am reluctant to cut sheet metal
Old 04-12-2017, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Grim, if you dont want to cut up the metal you will need to mod the trans mount plate and move the engine toward the front of the car. That will make it about 2" more clearance for the intake air tube , latch and spoiler.

Quick Reply: Another Porsche swap!! 911 996 w/ ls6 v8