Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ls1 swapped for the books - 76 Datsun 280z

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
I'd rather see vids of the roll racing than the old chevy pickemup in Camden....
aw **** hahah, wrong hyperlink...

fixed!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

Nice....sounds just right. You have it at C&C this weekend?
Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Nice....sounds just right. You have it at C&C this weekend?
not this past month's c&c. i went and spent some time with my lady up in greensboro after racing saturday. I'll probably make it out to the next one. The weather's getting to be perfect air conditioningless, z-drivin weather
Old 08-30-2017, 04:17 AM
TECH Junkie

"....this weekend?" - I meant this coming Saturday. Weather permitting maybe I'll see you.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

"....this weekend?" - I meant this coming Saturday. Weather permitting maybe I'll see you.
man im really struggling to read correctly, i guess thats what happens when im awake at near 1 am. I wont make it this weekend unfortunately, its opening dove season!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Damn, that thing sounds fantastic! And the light weight definitely helps - you were pulling all of those higher HP cars quite nicely.

Originally Posted by jacecil2
With the other work done to the interior, looks like it's time to fix up that steering wheel. I used a Wheelskins cover on my Fox Mustang's wheel, came out great. Black with red stitching, so it would even match your door panels.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 08-30-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Damn, that thing sounds fantastic! And the light weight definitely helps - you were pulling all of those higher HP cars quite nicely.

With the other work done to the interior, looks like it's time to fix up that steering wheel. I used a Wheelskins cover on my Fox Mustang's wheel, came out great. Black with red stitching, so it would even match your door panels.

oh man, that does look good. I was thinkin about getting an aftermarket wheel for it but after 300+ for a good wheel and a hub and messin with the wheel pullers and all that jazz, i'm startin to like the look of that cover you got there. Only thing is the rubber or whatever is on mine is bubbly almost, like it got dropped in a pot of boiling water or sat in some arizona sun for a decade or somethin. Not sure why it's like that but officially: i have a few other things i need to work on before i get back to cosmetics. Brake system, and rear end upgrades are my top priorities right now. HOWEVER, I was in Easley, SC for something completely unrelated to cars this morning, and decided to stop by and check out Hawks Motorsports and naturally couldnt leave without buying something.....
Great machining quality! Oughta be the icing on the cake for my recent transmission build! Have bought many parts from Hawks and man, they never fail to impress.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice piece of work there. Wheelskins cover on my vintage Volvo/Momo R-Sport wheel - nice stuff.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Nice piece of work there. Wheelskins cover on my vintage Volvo/Momo R-Sport wheel - nice stuff.

i can dig it
Old 08-31-2017, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jacecil2
oh man, that does look good. I was thinkin about getting an aftermarket wheel for it but after 300+ for a good wheel and a hub and messin with the wheel pullers and all that jazz, i'm startin to like the look of that cover you got there. Only thing is the rubber or whatever is on mine is bubbly almost, like it got dropped in a pot of boiling water or sat in some arizona sun for a decade or somethin. Not sure why it's like that
Yeah, I noticed that and had the same thought. The Wheelskins leather is thin enough that that texture would probably show through. Perhaps you could get some foam from an upholstery shop, so you wrap a layer of foam around the rim, then put the Wheelskins wrap over that? (Just make sure you order the appropriate Wheelskins size to account for the added thickness.) I know there are companies (Dallas Steering Wheel, Craft Customs, etc) that modify steering wheels, including thickening the rim by adding foam before re-wrapping with leather or Alcantara or whatever.

Anyway, I don't mean to divert the conversation from the mechanical side of things.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Yeah, I noticed that and had the same thought. The Wheelskins leather is thin enough that that texture would probably show through. Perhaps you could get some foam from an upholstery shop, so you wrap a layer of foam around the rim, then put the Wheelskins wrap over that? (Just make sure you order the appropriate Wheelskins size to account for the added thickness.) I know there are companies (Dallas Steering Wheel, Craft Customs, etc) that modify steering wheels, including thickening the rim by adding foam before re-wrapping with leather or Alcantara or whatever.

Anyway, I don't mean to divert the conversation from the mechanical side of things.
Probably eventually gonna go with a grant wheel. I wanted to go leather momo mod 07 but damn, momo is so proud of their stuff, and they dont offer it in a 15" diameter for us manual steering rack guys. If they dont offer a Z logo horn button ill just mock up on creo and have it cnc cut or 3d printed or somethin
Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Got some wrap for a great deal from a friend, so this z is about to anthracite grey via 3m 1080 vinyl. All the paint imperfections shiw through but its a thousand times better with the vinyl.
Question of the night: should i wrap the fender flares, or not?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

For anyone on Instagram that wants to follow the Datsun and see some recent upgrades and trips I've taken her on, etc, I just made an account for the car @dollythedatsun
Old 04-11-2018, 06:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Naw - leave 'em black. C&C this Sat. Apr. 14? It's the rain check date from last weekend's rainout...
Old 04-23-2018, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Naw - leave 'em black. C&C this Sat. Apr. 14? It's the rain check date from last weekend's rainout...
I was plannin on goin to c&c, replaced my outer tie rods and eyeballed alignment well enough that it drove fine at 3am the night before, went to meet the guys and my alternator died while i was waiting..... so i rode with my buddy, left it in the parking deck, replaced the alternator after c&c, and i'm gonna try and make it down there for the next c&c in may
Old 05-06-2018, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Were you there Sat. (5/5) and I missed you?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Were you there Sat. (5/5) and I missed you?
no, i wasnt. been having back to back problems with dumb stuff...alternator, bad battery, exhaust leak from scraping everywhere, weird computer issues, etc. she's up and runnin now though and ready to go exploring, so i'm gonna try and make it to the one in august
Old 07-11-2018, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Been busy on little things. Havnt really paid attention to the build thread lately. I’ve been posting on instagram mainly @dollythedatsun

welded up a battery box in the rear from extra aluminum i had layin around. Rewired the whole chassis harness and added LED’s everywhere. Did an H4 led headlight conversion. Got everything wired into the factory steering column controls. Finally got a matching speedometer in there hahah. Hand bent a shroud for my radiator and bent and welded on some better looking aluminum brackets onto the sides of the radiator. Relocated the coolant overflow tank with a nice aluminum bracket i made. Pulled the engine and tried to weld closed some holes in the engine bay and tried to wire wheel off as much of the surface rust as i could get to.
She’s comin a long way.
Next up, she’s about to get some air conditioning because the humid NC heat is crazy, tubular adjustable rear control arms, and an 8.8 irs swap...then coilovers.....eventually...

Quick Reply: Another ls1 swapped for the books - 76 Datsun 280z