Sponsored by:

Evap system??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Currently Warrensburg, Mo trying to move to Pottsville, PA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap system??

I have been searching through the threads trying to find what is exactly needed to make the evap system work, and how it all needs to be hooked up. I know most people are able to delete it, but I have to have one. Also I don't have any of it from the vehicle that the engine came out of, which was a 2004 avalanche. From what I have found so far, I need the canister, a valve, and some sort of pressure sensor from the tank and also fuel level. My tank is a 20 gal that is in the 92 Jeep YJ. I haven't changed the fuel pump since novak states the jeep pump can supply the correct amount of fuel. I have an after market fuel sender, from Omega to go with their gauge. Any help on this is really appreciated, so I can try to keep moving forward, part #'s would also help so I make sure I can get the right stuff especially for the sender side.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

If you look at the erod manual, it includes evap without the tank sensors. That's supposed to be 50 state legal, would that get you by?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I am not sure, I am not to familiar with the whole evap system, other than I understand what it is supposed to do. I haven't seen the erod manual other than all I have seen is a full crate packages to buy.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Manual, describes evap with only canister and purge valve.
http://paceperformance.com/files/pdf/19244807E-ROD.pdf
Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

I really don't know, if it would work with a stock engine, and if the programming could be set up to not have those pressures, it might work, also need to find if it would work with my tank since I don't think it has a vapor dome like this states it needs.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

If it's a 92, it's configured for a canister. It came with one.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure how the original was hooked up, as I was not the one who took it all apart, I will dig through the books to see how it was hooked up. There are two ports on each side of the tank that are inserted with a rubber grommet with a hose to each.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The newer evap systems are hooked up through the PCM. You should also have the fuel level sender with that so it knows the level. The older systems are vacuum controlled only. The newer systems control 2 solenoids and read the pressure sensor on top. If you are looking to make this CARB compliant you will more than likely need to have the newer system in place. One guy just went through this and they wanted to see the pressure sensor hooked up.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Can the pressure sensor be picked up separately or, should I try and grab the entire fuel pump sending unit from another truck if I can find one. Most I see in the u-pull it yards that had 5.3's are pretty well stripped of the drive train.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

You need the canister for the 04 truck, and the canister vent valve. THe canister has the pressure sensor on it. Tank connects to the canister, canister connects to the purge valve and canister connects to the vent valve.

THe only thing I am not sure about (and i will be tackling this soon for the olds im doing) is the fuel level. You do need to tell the ECU what the fuel level is, its not supposed to run the EVAP monitor unless the tank is 1/4-3/4 full, it accounts for fuel slosh etc etc...What im not sure about is if you can trick the ECU with a resistor to say hey its alwyas got 1/2 tank of gas. THe ECU MAY have programming to go hey now, its been 1/2 tank for 500 miles, thats not cool, and set a check light for the level sensor.

The options for fuel level are as such.
1. Install a second sender for the ECU, but then youll need to run all that wiring etc etc.
2. Change your sender for the later OHM sender, again that may require mods that can be a PITA. and then youll also have to get your stock fuel gauge recalibrated for the newer sender
3. Get a conversion device that takes the stock sender say 0-90 ohms, and converts it to 40-220 ohms, I think thats the range of the truck fuel sender. They do make programmable conversion boxes to do this for actual fuel gauges. They arnt cheep, couple hundred $$ but it saves modding the tank, adding a sender, etc etc

Thats pretty much it. Wire it to the ECM and it should be good to go.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Looking at my fuel gauge and sender it is a 240-33 Ohm Fuel Sender. At least that is what is listed from the site I bought it from.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Then you should be all good, 250 empty 40 full. Just tee off that wire to your ECU for fuel level input and hook up the other stuffs as described.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

thanks, hopefully I can find the rest of the stuff in a u-pull it yard since I saw the canisters are a bit over $100. I will post it up after I get it all set and hopefully when I have it running it will all work right. This way I can finalize everything that goes to my fuel tank, and move on to the next part.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I realize emission vary by state. But to think you would be required to engineer a tank pressure sensing system into a vehicle that may not have had it seems extreme. That's especially true since the erod package doesn't have it and it's 50 state legal.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

I am just wondering if the erod package is 50 state legal since the whole engine was setup was designed together that way. I have read that the how the current systems were setup that they run a series of checks when the engine starts, all controlled by the PCM, I would guess that the PCM would have to be changed to match the erod setup. Not sure myself, I know that some states, check the OBD2 port first. Any codes and it won't pass.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

The E-rod setup does not utilize an EVAP monitor. And in california if your not using an E-rod setup, your vehicle has to be compliant for what ever the engine came out of.

Mark
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

My dad ended up with a similar problem Mark, just in PA. Though the problem he had was that he bought a truck from a guy that moved from SC and he rebuilt the engine and took off most of the emissions stuff. The county he lives in isn't an emissions county, but whatever was supposed to be on the engine still has to be on it. So I don't want that to happen if I end up back there.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, well the good news is 04 motors had very litte bolt ons in terms of emission controls. Im pretty sure its the same for your avalanche as it is for my silverado. 2 cats, PCV and an EVAP system. No AIR, no EGR
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Just got back from the u pull it yard, and got a canister and purge solenoid plus grabbed the body harness for the wires out of a 2004 suburban that had(already yanked) the 5.3 in it. I was going to get the fuel pump too, but someone had broken it, but took the sensor looking thing from the top of the pump.

Mark I might need to hit you up for where all the lines go since someone had already hacked them off.

Quick Reply: Evap system??