Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls swap into a 1970 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls swap into a 1970 Monte Carlo

Ok so I have read a lot on this swap, and it seem every thread I read I get different answers. So I'm going to ask some questions I'm sure all of you have seen a million times and hope I get a real answer. I have a 1970 Monte Carlo that I am wanting to put a 5.3 into. I pulled the motor out of a wrecked 2003 Chevy 1500 4x4, so I did not take the tranny. I am wanting to put this motor in my car and use the turbo 350 that is already in the car. I have purchased the adapter for this already, but one of my questions is am I going to be able to leave the tranny in the stock location? Also I bought a set of motor mount plates that have the holes to set the motor in the stock location or 1 inch back or 1 inch forward. I have the stock oil pan on the motor and I'm wondering if I try to put it in stock location if the pan will hit? The last question I guess I have for now is will the alt. hit the steering box? Any answers would help....thanks.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can leave the trans in the stock location, just select the correct position on the adapters. You will need to swap to a different pan, I think the best choice right now is the new Holley pan. IT is not the alternator that could hit the steering box, rather the PS pulley. Easy swap to the earlier Econoline pulley. If you so a site search you will find several threads in this regard. The rest of the truck FEAD will work without a hitch. If the car has AC you can even make the LS compressor work. As you well know, the Monte is a long nose A-body, so all of the same rules apply.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Cool thanks for the help.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done this swap, it's not that hard. As a matter of fact if you're looking to do stock everything it's easy as it gets. I have everything from dirty dingo, mounts, p/s pulley, alt relocation bracket. I did use a cts-v pan, works fine.
The following users liked this post:
70lsmonte (10-25-2020)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

I did this swap. I used dirty dingo mounts since they are adjustable. The truck pan won't clear. I used a Holley pan. I also used corvette FEAD and Kwik AC Compressor mounts to bring it up. I converted to Vintage Air, so I didn't use any of the stock AC. Are you going carb with this build? Just curious because you are using a TH350.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
I did this swap. I used dirty dingo mounts since they are adjustable. The truck pan won't clear. I used a Holley pan. I also used corvette FEAD and Kwik AC Compressor mounts to bring it up. I converted to Vintage Air, so I didn't use any of the stock AC. Are you going carb with this build? Just curious because you are using a TH350.
I went carb and used my original trans but even if he did efi and kept the 350 trans he'd be fine.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Teching In

For now I'm going to keep the efi but I could see going back to carb in the future. Thanks for all the info it helps a lot. These ls motor are kind of a new thing to me, but it doesn't seem all the hard to figure out.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 333 Likes on 226 Posts

Should have kept the trans and converted it over to 2-wheel drive...I've done this a couple of times...can't imagine you wouldn't want the overdrive, and lower first gear...
Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Should have kept the trans and converted it over to 2-wheel drive...I've done this a couple of times...can't imagine you wouldn't want the overdrive, and lower first gear...
I did want the overdrive, call me crazy, but I like the high rev and sound of a 3 speed trans. I know this could be accomplished with a ls trans via cpu tweaking, but I don't mess with that stuff.

Quick Reply: Ls swap into a 1970 Monte Carlo