Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking ls engine advice for 1st Gen Chevy II wagon

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Default Seeking ls engine advice for 1st Gen Chevy II wagon

I'm in the beginning stage of planning for a ls swap for my 63 chevyII wagon. My car has a Heidts front clip with a Ford 9" rear. Now it's a small block 4 speed car. I already have a t56 trans for this swap but am uncertain on which engine to go after. The choices are overwhelming at this point. I want aluminum block for weight savings but not stuck on that thought. If i go 5.3 it'd be a l33 with fead converted to most likely corvette then a car intake. I also see good deals on ly6 6.0 and l92 6.2 but I'm not sure about dod and vvt and all that stuff. Ideally I'd find a good deal on a take out vette ls3 but that's possibly wishful thinking if i don't want to wait a lifetime on a good deal. I plan on a gas tank from Tank's Inc and a radiator from Enthropy. Any engine advice or things to look out for and for see would be greatly appreciated. I'm committed to this swap and have very good welding and fab skills so that isn't a issue and I'm fairly comfortable wrenching on most anything. I don't want to limit myself on the engine but also don't want a endless money pit either. Steer me in the right direction guys. Thanks very much in advance.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the recipient.
Attached Thumbnails Seeking ls engine advice for 1st Gen Chevy II wagon-20140616_200045-2-2_resized.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. I'll start it, what are you going do with the car? Daily driver, weekend
cruiser, street rod, highway cruiser or ??????. 5.3 are cheap and plentiful,
5.7 and 6.0 are a little more pricey and a little harder to find. They all have
a great aftermarket for parts. So I see it as your budget and plans for the
car to determine your engine.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

All of the above nofun, isn't that what we all want? Won't be a daily driver but i want to drive it anytime the urge arises. I want a well rounded build that'll do everything well but not expected to run 9's at the strip. I think any of the ls engines will work well just would like insight on what is good to work with. I like the thought of a 6.2 but is the larger displacement worth possibly dealing with dod and vvt?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built my car before DOD and VVT or drive-by-wire throttles came out and I'm glad I did. My aluminum 5.7 worked out very well using 1998 F-body stuff all the way except for the Victor Jr manifold I just did.

I suggest looking for an aluminum block engine.

Quick Reply: Seeking ls engine advice for 1st Gen Chevy II wagon