Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling for all 70-73 Camaro LS swap owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling for all 70-73 Camaro LS swap owners

Im putting a bone stock lq4 into my 73 camaro. I have the one inch set back motor mount plates and the complete motor. Im going with the truck intake and yes i know there will be hood clearance issues but im not worried about it.

I have a th350 drive shaft, how much will it need to be shortend for the 4l60e? & do i need the same yoke?

Any cheap headers that will work?

Anybody run just an external efi fuel pump with the stock tank?

And my biggest issue is the wiring. Any "cheapish" places in TX that do conversions?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Same yoke. You can run a aftermarket external pump, but it needs to be mounted lower than the factory sender/pickup. The truck intake should clear the factory flat hood. There is a lot of room with mine. A OEM camaro4 oilcan will give you perfect ground clearance and look like it was made specifically for this swap.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Same yoke. You can run a aftermarket external pump, but it needs to be mounted lower than the factory sender/pickup. The truck intake should clear the factory flat hood. There is a lot of room with mine. A OEM camaro4 oilcan will give you perfect ground clearance and look like it was made specifically for this swap.
Ya i knew about the fbody oil pan but how do you have hood clearance with the truck intake and stock hood?? Ive heard thats impossible without cutting the hood up. And what about exhaust/headers?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes you can use the stock truck access. They're ugly IMO but will work. Dougs' swap headers will work but might have to trim the pass rear LCA mount. If you have access to a welder and want to go cheap, get Summit or Jegs BBC headers and LS header flanges and have at it.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yes you can use the stock truck access. They're ugly IMO but will work. Dougs' swap headers will work but might have to trim the pass rear LCA mount. If you have access to a welder and want to go cheap, get Summit or Jegs BBC headers and LS header flanges and have at it.
Oh i thought you were talking about the truck intake, i knew the accessories would fit but it doesnt really matter jow that ive decided to go carbd. I just need some cheap long tube headers but they arent cheap anywhere.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

The truck intake should fit too. There is a TON of room above the engine. EFI is worth the extra wiring. ALOT better milage and more importantly, no carb tuning.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

The truck intake should fit too. There is a TON of room above the engine. EFI is worth the extra wiring. ALOT better milage and more importantly, no carb tuning.

Not to start a carb vs efi debate but a well tuned carb can get just as good mpg as efi with these ls motors and also make more hp n/a. Ive decided to go carb though so i guess theres no need for this thread anymore lol
Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used all truck accessories and Carshop 1" set back mounts. 4L80e in my car though. Truck accessories will fit with a cowl hood. I have an L88 Scoop on mine and fits without issue.

But then I removed the factory truck intake and put a Whipple on it. Looked better than the intake too.

But, going a different route now and sold the Whipple off. I also have a set of Headman LS 2" tube headers from this car that are black ceramic coated I would like to sell... PM me if you're interested.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and I run an external pump too with the stock tank sumped. Works like a charm.

It's a Holley 12-1800 with one pump on constantly and the other on a 2psi Hobbs. Might be a bit over kill for your car though.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Razor
I used all truck accessories and Carshop 1" set back mounts. 4L80e in my car though. Truck accessories will fit with a cowl hood. I have an L88 Scoop on mine and fits without issue.

But then I removed the factory truck intake and put a Whipple on it. Looked better than the intake too.

But, going a different route now and sold the Whipple off. I also have a set of Headman LS 2" tube headers from this car that are black ceramic coated I would like to sell... PM me if you're interested.
Im getting money together for my carb parts so im kinda afraid to ask how much you want for those headers lol i know full length swap headers for a 2nd gen camaro go for atleast 450$

Quick Reply: Calling for all 70-73 Camaro LS swap owners