Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steamline

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really justify tapping into the water pump at the thermostat housing for a steam port. Steam ports relieve steam, which rises, to the highest point of the cooling system, so there aren't any air pockets in the system. The radiator cap is often the highest point in the chassis for the cooling system, so that's where the last air bubbles will go.
Also, when you're filling the cooling system, a truck water pump is great for this because you can just fill the whole block up through the upper hose outlet, then fill the radiator.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
I can't really justify tapping into the water pump at the thermostat housing for a steam port. Steam ports relieve steam, which rises, to the highest point of the cooling system, so there aren't any air pockets in the system. The radiator cap is often the highest point in the chassis for the cooling system, so that's where the last air bubbles will go.
Also, when you're filling the cooling system, a truck water pump is great for this because you can just fill the whole block up through the upper hose outlet, then fill the radiator.
I got a 5.3L engine out of a Trailblazer a while back and the heater hose that was closest to the front (the bigger line) had a nipple in it that was no farther than 6 inches from the water pump.

Here is a picture (this is in a swapped vehicle, but those are OEM hoses):

See the nipple in the hard part of the hose?

I see no difference it attaching the stem line at that point or into the water pump as I showed in the previous picture that I posted. It has worked for me for the last 6 years, but y'all can do what you want.

Andrew
Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did put mine in top of the water pump which is right by the exit hose to the radiator. In my eyes I think the steam line is to keep some fluid running thru it to keep from having a dead still air pocket with no where to go. As long as there is fluid flow no matter where you put is is fine. Any air will eventually make it to the top of the radiator as long as there is circulation.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I got a 5.3L engine out of a Trailblazer a while back and the heater hose that was closest to the front (the bigger line) had a nipple in it that was no farther than 6 inches from the water pump.

Here is a picture (this is in a swapped vehicle, but those are OEM hoses):

See the nipple in the hard part of the hose?

I see no difference it attaching the stem line at that point or into the water pump as I showed in the previous picture that I posted. It has worked for me for the last 6 years, but y'all can do what you want.

Andrew
wow, I had no idea they deigned them like this...
Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
wow, I had no idea they deigned them like this...
Yep. Anywhere there is lower pressure than the steam lines, and doesn't have suction. So, upper part of radiator, upper hose, t-stat housing, heater return hose, etc. Bad locations would include lower radiator hose, heater supply, etc. On mine, I'm using the truck accessories so the highest point in the system is the upper hose. Using the Jags That Run splice, I'm able to bleed the system from that port on the top. The steam fitting is under the splice.

Attachment 724246

Attachment 723026

Nevermind that heater loop...that was temporary...

EDIT

Found a more recent pic with a better angle of it.
Attachment 723045
Old 11-18-2014, 03:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970camaroRS
Yep. Anywhere there is lower pressure than the steam lines, and doesn't have suction. ]
Isnt that kind of a contradiction? I think we all get what you're saying though.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the word steam is miss leading in this case. When you have a dead air pocket when heated it will create steam. What this hose is doing is removing the air pocket with circulation. No more steam . There is no natural rise of steam to remove it. It is done with circulation of the coolant. If there happens to be air, it will be removed by the circulating coolant. This is what 1970camarors was saying. To create circulation you need a high pressure side to low pressure side. It is not as important to how you get it as long as you have a pressure difference to create circulation. That's why you see in the picture above a low inlet on the heater hose . Gm has created circulation.

Once the system is purged and working proper there is no steam present. It is a circulating coolant system. It is just to keep the steam from forming in the head because it has no where to go.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by homemade87
I think the word steam is miss leading in this case. When you have a dead air pocket when heated it will create steam. What this hose is doing is removing the air pocket with circulation. No more steam . There is no natural rise of steam to remove it. It is done with circulation of the coolant. If there happens to be air, it will be removed by the circulating coolant. This is what 1970camarors was saying. To create circulation you need a high pressure side to low pressure side. It is not as important to how you get it as long as you have a pressure difference to create circulation. That's why you see in the picture above a low inlet on the heater hose . Gm has created circulation.

Once the system is purged and working proper there is no steam present. It is a circulating coolant system. It is just to keep the steam from forming in the head because it has no where to go.
Yes, this is a perfect clarification. I've been battling a sinus infection the last few days and I'm surprised my previous post made any sense at all.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-snip-
Old 11-21-2014, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my swap, using a F-Body water pump, I just left the truck stuff in place, rear block offs and crossover. Instead of forking over the $40 for the LS1 crossover, I carefully heated and bent the truck nipple to a 90 and then tapped the top of the water pump and added a brass barb 90* fitting. Connected the two with some hose and clamps. Car runs at 194* in the dead of South Carolina summers and have seen no ill effects thus far.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
-snip-
Didn't have your coffee yet?

Andrew
Old 11-21-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the JagsThatRun piece with the bleed valve. Nice machined aluminum piece, was cheap, too.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Didn't have your coffee yet?

Andrew
I did, at 6:30am, reason was to delete something i wrote and did not want to start an internetz war.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
I did, at 6:30am, reason was to delete something i wrote and did not want to start an internetz war.
I saw what you wrote. No sweat off my you know whats...There are multiple ways to plumb this line and just because GM did it one way and not another may not have anything to do with engineering. Cost considerations are always a part of their calculations as are potential modes of failure. Peace...

Andrew
Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put into the Upper Hose the adapter is available on e-bay cheap. They call it , " Temperature Gauge Radiator hose sensor ADAPTER" I payed $12 shipped and others are even less. Add a 1/4 inch 90 degree hose nipple and You're done.

How do You Guys get the big pictures in Your posts ? All I get is a little thumb for someone to click on .
Attached Thumbnails steamline-corvette-pic-1075.jpg  

Last edited by sssuch; 11-22-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: ??
Old 11-22-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sssuch
How do You Guys get the big pictures in Your posts ? All I get is a little thumb for someone to click on .
Post on photobucket and then put the link in.

Quick Reply: steamline