Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup
What are you going to be using to hold the tire down?
The center cap has a 1/2" hole in it and there is a place in the bracket to hook the factory j-bolt/wing nut assembly.....
Old 08-27-2016, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the fitting welded on the vent line from the tank this week and put it in this morning..... The trunk is done aside from checking for leaks once everything is wired up and working..... Next I remove the pass side inner quarter firewall panel so I could route the activation wire for the BAP..... Then I cleaned the panel up and reinstalled it..... I have the rear carpet layed out in the floor of the car, I will get this trimmed, fitted and glued down tomorrow.....

Panel removed.....

Panel cleaned up around rivet holes and then riveted back in the car.....

The carpet layed out in place.....

Old 08-28-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fitted and glued the rear carpet in today..... Then put the rear quarter plastics and rear seat in.....

Old 09-03-2016, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After a good and needed shop cleaning this morning, I got a new Monte Carlo bar made..... There wasn't a lot of room to get through between the throttle body and the hood, It's a got at least 1/4" of clearance over the throttle body and almost 1/8" to the hood..... I also gave the car a good wipe down, it was getting quite dirty.....

Old 09-04-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made so brackets to hang off the Monte Carlo bar to mount my breather cans for the motor..... I also got a ethanol sensor this week, I think I know how/where I want to mount it but I need to get a couple fittings this wee to make sure it will work out..... I am also trying to figure out how/where to mount a water/meth tank.....

Here's the brackets on the Monte Carlo bar and the ethanol sensor I got(it the one Holley recommends in there V4 software.....

Old 09-05-2016, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same sensor I use, make sure the hoses clip on well, some of those GM style fittings are junk and can pop off! First set of Russell ones I got had plastic clips, I bought a different brand that had a metal clip and a retaining chain. It's the return line so not too high pressure but still worth clamping well judging from stories I've read. If the Holley software is good it should also give you fuel temp
Old 09-05-2016, 04:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think these will pop off, both pieces are threaded aluminum and screw together.....

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...l.jpg?rep=True

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...l.jpg?rep=True
Old 09-10-2016, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the fittings I need this week for the ethanol senor..... Today I mounted and plumbed everything back up..... I do not have a good place to mount a decent size water/methanol tank under the hood, so I decided to go with a trunk mounted tank..... I had to remove the rear seat again to I can routed the hose and necessary wires for the pump and level indicator..... I also went through my wiring stuff to see what I need to get coming, getting closer to wiring it.....

Here is the ethanol sensor mounted.....

Old 09-18-2016, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last Sunday I got the wires and tube for the water/methanol ran and put the rear seat area back together...... I got the 2.5 gallon water/methanol tank this week, unfortunately the area of the trunk that I have to mount the tank is not flat so I figured out how to make a mounting bracket for it(I will get it made this week)..... I am still waiting to get the Monte Carlo bar and other stuff back from powder coat, so I couldn't button that stuff up yet.....

I did however start planning out my wiring harness..... I got a harness made and in place for the overhead switch panel(still need to configure the under dash end of this herness, I also put the 4 gauges in the center of the dash.....

Here's some pic's of the gauges mounted and the switch panel wiring.....

Old 09-18-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

So you're putting fans on manual control?

Andrew
Old 09-18-2016, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
So you're putting fans on manual control?

Andrew
Yes, fan and water pump..... I do a lot of drag racing with my cars and I need complete control of cooling when in staging lanes.....
Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

In a car I built I used a thermo switch for fans but also ran a switch to the relay so I could kick them on manually, no chance of forgetting and overheating and I could cool things at will.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Teching In

subscribing
Old 09-20-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
In a car I built I used a thermo switch for fans but also ran a switch to the relay so I could kick them on manually, no chance of forgetting and overheating and I could cool things at will.
I am not adding any more thermal switches, If I do anything with automatic switching it will be through the Holley EFI.....

Originally Posted by silent_assassin
subscribing
Thanks.....
Old 09-21-2016, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Ah yes, that's right you've got the Holley! Heck yeah use that if you've got spare I/O.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got some mounting brackets fabed up this week for the water/methanol bottle and pump..... I had to do a little tweaking on the bottle mount, but I got them both mocked up in the car and I am pretty happy with them..... They still have to be painted before getting installed.....

I also made a harness for the trans, got connectors on everything underneath and hook it all up..... The harness routes through the old speedo cable grommet and up through the instrument cluster hole..... I still need to connect everything under the dash..... That will come soon enough, I am just trying to get the harness legs made up and in place.....

Here's some pic's of the progress.....

Old 09-27-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

I love this build. Keep up the great work !!!
Old 10-02-2016, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got some of my parts back from the powder coater this week..... Sat I installed my Monte Carlo Bar and worked with the breather tanks..... I am going to have make a small modification to the tanks to get everything how I want it.....

Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Looking good Frank. What brand tanks did you decide on? Any particular reason for this brand?
Old 10-02-2016, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Looking good Frank. What brand tanks did you decide on? Any particular reason for this brand?
Thanks..... There Moroso, they are one of the shortest I could find that I could still rotate in the mounting strap..... It's just that my fuel lines in the driver side ended up being a little more bulky with the addition of the E85 sensor..... So I am goint to cut the tank down slightly and go to a little shorter filter, then everything should work good.....

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....