Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
OK...so the Hobbs is literally just a pressure activated switch. Once a certain pressure is reached, the switch is closed, thus completing the circuit.

So I was reading the PDF here:

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/C...heory_kens.pdf

It looks like the Boost-A-pump was developed for stock vehicles that were boosted but had no way of raising fuel pressure as manifold pressure increased. You already have a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator in your fuel system, so to me the Boost-A-pump is not needed and is just a source of an extra potential point of failure.

You simply have to boost reference your FPR and program the Holley EFI accordingly. When the regulator sees boost, it will automatically raise pressure 1:1 in order to maintain the effective pressure at the injectors constant. And I see in previous pictures that you have the FPR already referenced to manifold pressure. Done....

Andrew
The boost referenced regulator thing is a must do..... My problem is the pump itself may be borderline to supply enough volume of E85 for the power I want to make without help..... Whoops, did I say E85.....
Old 08-15-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by franktf
The boost referenced regulator thing is a must do..... My problem is the pump itself may be borderline to supply enough volume of E85 for the power I want to make without help..... Whoops, did I say E85.....
That's a different issue! You can still use the Holley outputs to trigger the BoostApump...you just have to figure out what it needs as a trigger to turn ON...

Andrew
Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upping voltage at a few PSI is fine to allow you to run the pump at normal voltage until additional volume is needed. The FPR will maintain the pressure although you might see a slight bump when it turns on. The Holley can certainly close that circuit if you think 3psi is too low an activation, do you have many spare outputs? I run a second fuel pump off of a proEFI this way, running them both full time heats the fuel too much. Does the Holley allow for an E85 sensor? I'd really want one of those as even pump fuel varies in alcohol content! A sensor with a high and low table the ecu blends for varying alcohol content is really nice! Also, E85 sensors can give fuel temp but most ecu won't give access to it so hopefully you get that too.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Frank, I'm sure you prolly know that Holley has an excellent forum for any install or tuning questions. Couple guys over there (including Andrew) know their stuff...
Old 08-16-2016, 07:04 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes you did.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have to double check to see if the HP can do an ethanol sensor. I know the Dominator definitely can...

Andrew
Old 08-17-2016, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a different issue! You can still use the Holley outputs to trigger the BoostApump...you just have to figure out what it needs as a trigger to turn ON...

Andrew
Yes sir. it can.....

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Does the Holley allow for an E85 sensor?
Looks like just for reference.....

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Frank, I'm sure you prolly know that Holley has an excellent forum for any install or tuning questions. Couple guys over there (including Andrew) know their stuff...
Yes sir, I am a member there also.....

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Yes you did.
Just checking.....

I have to double check to see if the HP can do an ethanol sensor. I know the Dominator definitely can...

Andrew
From what I have found it can read it for reference but can not make adjustments.....
Old 08-17-2016, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mabye the E85 is a bad idea, for me anyways..... I have been reading so much info on this I think my head is going to explode..... I may be better off to start with pump gas just to figure out the tuning and switch to the e85 later.....

I don't know, I'm so confused right now!!!!!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just got confirmation that the HP does in fact support the use of an ethanol sensor and the tune can be configured to adjust accordingly. Of course it will use up one of your inputs...

Andrew
Old 08-17-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got confirmation that the HP does in fact support the use of an ethanol sensor and the tune can be configured to adjust accordingly. Of course it will use up one of your inputs...

Andrew
That's good to know..... I have not committed any inputs or out puts yet.....
Old 08-17-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you plan on doing the boost control thought the HP? I haven't looked into that, but I think it eats up inputs and outputs in a hurry...

Andrew
Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you plan on doing the boost control thought the HP? I haven't looked into that, but I think it eats up inputs and outputs in a hurry...

Andrew
I was actually thinking of going with Leash Electronic boost leash/pulse lease combo to have staging control with the brake later on..... Right now I am keeping that simple with just the gate spring pressure.....
Old 08-19-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was actually thinking of going with Leash Electronic boost leash/pulse lease combo to have staging control with the brake later on..... Right now I am keeping that simple with just the gate spring pressure.....
I am pretty sure that everything that the Leash stuff does, the Holley can do as well, although again, you may run out of I/O with the HP...The Dominator has a ton more I/Os...

Andrew
Old 08-20-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know the holley will control the boost fine but I don't think it can do the bump in part..... I could be wrong though.....
Old 08-20-2016, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The charge tube is almost done now..... Pretty much just need to get it all cleaned up and ready to go.....

I got the wiring in the trunk all wrapped up today..... I added a second relay to activate the boost-a-pump with the Holley HP..... Also got the feed and return fuel lines made and installed..... I am going to try and get the II Much Fabrication vent system mounted and get my hard lines for it run.....

Old 08-20-2016, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looking great Frank.

I have never raced a car with an auto trans or a trans brake, but from what I have read on YellowBullet, I am pretty sure you can do a "bump" into staging lanes with the Holley...

Andrew
Old 08-20-2016, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking great Frank.

I have never raced a car with an auto trans or a trans brake, but from what I have read on YellowBullet, I am pretty sure you can do a "bump" into staging lanes with the Holley...

Andrew
I'll look into it some more..... I am not planning on using the brake at first..... This will be a slow process as I learn the system.....
Old 08-20-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll look into it some more..... I am not planning on using the brake at first..... This will be a slow process as I learn the system.....
I have a feeling that once you get comfortable with the EFI and learn all that it can do, there is no going back.

I am glad you wired the Boost-A-Pump to the ECU, so now you can have it come on whenever you want without having to get a different Hobbs switch. Just change the trigger point in software based on your MAP and off you go!

I see a Dominator in your future...

Andrew
Old 08-21-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the vent canister mounted and lines made to and from it..... Also got the vent line with filter made and mounted under the car..... Aside from getting the male -6 an fitting welded to the line coming from the tank the trunk is done..... The last couple pic's show the trunk with the spare tire bracket mounted and one with the spare tire in place, the spare tire provides protection for the lines/wires on the tank.....

Old 08-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you going to be using to hold the tire down?

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....