Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Looking good Frank...

Is that Holley filter just hanging by the fitting? I would want to support it somehow as vibration can easily fatigue that fitting and eventually leak. Maybe braze a couple of nuts to the tank and use big adel clamps to support the body of the filter?

Andrew
Thanks..... It is attached to that fitting that is tig welded to the 16 ga stainless sump, as little as that filter weighs I am not worried about that fatiguing at all.....
Old 07-11-2017, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by franktf
Thanks..... It is attached to that fitting that is tig welded to the 16 ga stainless sump, as little as that filter weighs I am not worried about that fatiguing at all.....
I thought the same thing when I hung a pressure transducer off the fuel rail on my GTO. Eventually it cracked and I was lucky I didn't burn the whole car to the ground.

Andrew
Old 07-12-2017, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did get the plumbing done under the hood Sunday and it runs again..... I drove it around a little and made a short test hit, looks like plenty of fuel now..... But it started idling shitty and died once and a while, after checking everything over in the tune I discovered my flex fuel sensor was freaking the F out..... I didn't have any time to figure out why, I did pick up another sensor so I can figure it out this weekend..... I think I am going to change my tune over to ethanol rather then gas, and pull fuel instead of adding..... That way if it acts up again at least it fails safe.....

A couple under hood pic's once again.....

Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you have the sensor located? Forcefed had issues with his in the return line said there wasn't enough fuel going back to the tank at WOT to read properly. Wonder if you're having a similar issue.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chiaj144
Where do you have the sensor located? Forcefed had issues with his in the return line said there wasn't enough fuel going back to the tank at WOT to read properly. Wonder if you're having a similar issue.
It is in the return line, but the issue I am having right now is just sitting at idle..... I would think plenty of fuel is going through it at idle.....
Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried another ethanol sensor and it was still screwing up..... So I pulled the wiring out of the harness where I put the resistor for the sensor and had no glitches at all, apparently the resistor is picking up some kind of interference from the rest of the harness..... I even tried tucking the resistor back in the harness and the problem came right back..... I guess I never noticed it before because I was running non-ethanol, so it couldn't drop to 0% if it was already there.....

I either need to shield the resistor or move close to the sensor connector where it's clear of the other wiring.....

Originally Posted by chiaj144
You sir are correct about this WOT problem.....

I also came across another potential issue thanks to chiaj244, it looks like having the sensor in the return line is a potential problem..... Under high fuel demand there is sometimes a lack of fuel in the return line which can cause erratic readings, this can be a big problem at full throttle..... I have gone back through some of my logs and you can see it showing ethanol content dropping a few % under full throttle..... I have been searching and found info that says to place the sensor after the fuel rail and before the regulator to solve this issue..... I think that is the direction I am going.....
Old 07-16-2017, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I rearranged fuel lines this morning so that the ethanol sensor is now after the driver side fuel rail and before the regulator in the pressure side..... Drove it around some and made a short test hit, now there is no variance in the ethanol reading what so ever.....

It apparently was not keeping enough fuel in the sensor under high fuel demand to produce a accurate reading.....

Now I just need to do something with the wiring for the sensor so there is no interference with the rest of the harness.....
Old 07-29-2017, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the car all back together and ready to go last weekend, and the rain held off on Wednesday..... So off to the local 1/8 mile track I went..... The car was set up on about 16.5lbs..... I made the first pass and it was a glorious pedal fest, it did manage to go 7.16 @ 102..... The tps line on my log looked like a bad ekg..... I did get some useful info from it, one thing was the IAT's(it leaft the line at 140 deg and went through the finish line at 200 deg) ouch!!!!! Did I mention it was about 9000 degrees when I made this pass.....

I turned the water/meth on, checked the plugs along with the log..... They did a little work on the track so I got back in line just after dark, weather still sucked(about 2150 DA)..... It made a nice clean pass and went 6.57 @ 105.73, 60ft was 1.52 leaving at 3000 off the footbrake..... IAT's were much better, leaft at 120deg and crossed the finish at 150 deg( I already upped the nozzle size both pre and post turbo, plus turned the ramp in up a little).....

Here's the pass:

Old 07-29-2017, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not bad for a little turbo! I used to own one of those back around 2006 with plans to put it into my RX7, but it never happened, so I sold it. Wish I still had it.

Andrew
Old 07-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

She is coming along Frank!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not bad for a little turbo! I used to own one of those back around 2006 with plans to put it into my RX7, but it never happened, so I sold it. Wish I still had it.

Andrew
No Sir.....

Originally Posted by speedtigger
She is coming along Frank!
Thanks.....

I took it out to the no prep Street Heat deal at Showtime last night..... I was able to collect some good info even though I had to pedal it a little leaving..... 60ft was a good couple tenths off, but from about 150' out the back was good plus I stayed on it for about 100' past the finish for info purposes..... It only went between 6.92 and 7.11 but mph was 105-106.....
Increasing the water/meth nozzle sizes kept the IAT's in the mid 130's.....
Old 07-31-2017, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was nice to meet you Saturday Frank one of the cleanest builds I have ever seen you are extremely talented!!!

Thanks for the tip on the flex sensor wiring it works perfectly now!
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What turbo is he running?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever

Thanks.
I believe it's a master power 76mm
Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by natejk
It was nice to meet you Saturday Frank one of the cleanest builds I have ever seen you are extremely talented!!!

Thanks for the tip on the flex sensor wiring it works perfectly now!
Glad I could help and it was nice to meet you too.....

Thanks.
Originally Posted by natejk
I believe it's a master power 76mm
Correct, it's your basic Master Power 76mm T4 with a divided 1.0 turbine housing.....
Old 07-31-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I was thinking a Master Power T70 though. What ever happened to Master Power? It was the Turbo to have, I thought I was buying a MP T70 once, but ended up being a GT45, still a win win.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I was thinking a Master Power T70 though. What ever happened to Master Power? It was the Turbo to have, I thought I was buying a MP T70 once, but ended up being a GT45, still a win win.

Thanks.
I heard they were suspending there aftermarket program a few years ago, because there main business was stock replacement turbos and they were to busy with those......
Old 08-01-2017, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks.
As I recall, MP used to have a GT45 copy back in the day...This goes back to around 2004-2006...give or take.

Andrew
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

As I recall, MP used to have a GT45 copy back in the day...This goes back to around 2004-2006...give or take.

Andrew
Really, I've had this damn thing for about 8-10yrs, sitting in the garage, waiting patiently. LOL.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Really, I've had this damn thing for about 8-10yrs, sitting in the garage, waiting patiently. LOL.

Thanks.
Put it to work!

Andrew

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....