Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Porsche 996 Cabriolet LS2 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mariusl
I run mine the other way around, same does Renegade (at least of the pictures they sent me) - firefly runs the same way as you.
Mine is plumbed just like Renegade shows. Also remember the 2wd and AWD cars have the lines running on opposite sides. I had this same conversation with FireFly. I was totally confused looking at his photo's until I realized that the AWD cars lines do not cross in front of the transaxle like the 2WD cars do.

Look at the photo's I posted a few pages back.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4LUX
Mine is plumbed just like Renegade shows. Also remember the 2wd and AWD cars have the lines running on opposite sides. I had this same conversation with FireFly. I was totally confused looking at his photo's until I realized that the AWD cars lines do not cross in front of the transaxle like the 2WD cars do.

Look at the photo's I posted a few pages back.
Aha, thats why I have been confused - so I probably run it the wrong way. No crossing in front of the transaxle = hot driver, cold passenger?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mariusl
Aha, thats why I have been confused - so I probably run it the wrong way. No crossing in front of the transaxle = hot driver, cold passenger?
Refer to Post #107 on this thread, the biggest thing is to get the hot line to the top of the radiators and the cool line to the bottom of the radiators. That is the way Porsche designed the system to work. You can trace the lines on the car and just get them hooked up to the LS correctly.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have a 996 C2 (2wd) and the lines do not cross over in front of the transaxle. Wonder why they made a change on the AWD.

LUX, I'm gonna need your help on the ac wiring. That will be next for me. I've got someone lined up to make the ac lines and I have a compressor. The clutch control for the GM compressor has two wires, green and black I think.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Amille28
Yes, I have a 996 C2 (2wd) and the lines do not cross over in front of the transaxle. Wonder why they made a change on the AWD.

LUX, I'm gonna need your help on the ac wiring. That will be next for me. I've got someone lined up to make the ac lines and I have a compressor. The clutch control for the GM compressor has two wires, green and black I think.
I will have to look at things tonight, but one wire (The Black One) is ground and can be grounded to the block. The other is the power for the AC Clutch, that hooks to the (Blue Wire) that activated the Porsche AC Clutch. Super easy deal........
Old 08-04-2016, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Default ac wires

So the blue wire hooks up to the green and the black is grounded make the compressor work?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Hayabusa, yes the blue wire should be on the Porsche harness its on either X1 or X2. I would have to look at the schematic to tell you which pin.

For this kind of swap I kept my X1 X2 Porsche engine harness and just cut out all of the wires I wouldn't be using for the swap. Things like oil pressure sensor (dash), water temperature gauge (for the dash), I pulled 12v power for my electric water pump, starter crank wire (yellow ones) for the key turn, AC
Old 08-18-2016, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks
Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Teching In

this is awesome, can't wait to see it completed and running
Old 11-14-2016, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

So All these other Porsche Builds have got me off my ***. Really it is the fact that the temps are cooler and I am complete with the house projects that my wife has had me doing. I got the exhaust system just about knocked out, with Jason for Apler Motorsports help!!!! I needed a hand mocking things up, so I had him stop by and with two of us brain storming and working, it took about 2-3 hours. I just need to build the rear mounts and weld up the tips, once I get the rear bumper bolted completely on the car. I also have never posted the pictures of the air box I have dreamed up, so here are a few pictures of the frame I got finished and it mocked up with the K&N filters. I have all the material, just need to get the power steering lines built this week and go over to Jason's to use his sheet metal shear and brake to forum up the box.

Here is a shot of the rear of the car with the exhaust tips mocked up.

Here is a shot under the rear, of the mufflers installed.

And a couple of the passenger and drivers side Cat and mufflers installed.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Looking Good A+
Old 11-14-2016, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Im digging the simpler exhaust route! Keep the great updates comin!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just discovered this thread, really enjoyed it. Gas Monkey without the made up drama.

Not a lot of detail about how the motor and trans fit. Take it that means the kit is pretty good?

Waiting for the burnout videos...
Old 11-15-2016, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Just discovered this thread, really enjoyed it. Gas Monkey without the made up drama.

Not a lot of detail about how the motor and trans fit. Take it that means the kit is pretty good?

Waiting for the burnout videos...

The kit work pretty good, just realize they run electric water pump and steering pump. I am running the engine driven WP and PS, so lots more cutting and fitting to do. Plus, I have built or re-designed most all of the extra parts to make the engine driven WP and PS work myself.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you use for headers? Fiddling with exhaust design on mine right now and trying to get something without the lope.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Robstevens
What did you use for headers? Fiddling with exhaust design on mine right now and trying to get something without the lope.
i used some block hugger headers with mine. Gave me quite a bit of room to work with. Sounds great. Almost a little too quiet at times surprisingly.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robstevens
I used a set of LS 3 Camaro headers, they hug close to the block and drop down at the back of the block. That gave me the space to place the CAT close and make the 180 into the muffler.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Launching!

4LUX what did you do with the Porsche ignition coils? Just leave them off or put a resistor in thier place? Have they tripped any codes?
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2016, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Outlaw 911
4LUX what did you do with the Porsche ignition coils? Just leave them off or put a resistor in thier place? Have they tripped any codes?
Thanks!
The wiring to the Porsche ignition coils has been removed back to the Porsche ECU. Mine is not running yet, but I have never heard of anyone having issues with codes being tripped??? Please realize mine is a 2001 and has the simple non CANBUS ECU.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Cool thanks for the help, my car is CAN and i have to keep the CEL off to pass inspection. I have all the stock harness and all the sensors so I will have to see how it goes.

Quick Reply: 2001 Porsche 996 Cabriolet LS2 Conversion