Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Foxbody, TeamZ Kmember 60e Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not knocking the product. Seems to me to be more of a engine mount problem. A lot of people here are running into engine height/set back problems. As far as the k member itself, it seems to be a nice piece.....
Old 12-13-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by red347lx
So Team Z, who has some of the fastest stock suspension cars in the country doesn't know how to position an engine in the correct angle and position?

Last edited by booboo37; 06-05-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ran across this thread and I see someone put a link to my thread concerning this issue. Team z was no help at all. I sent pictures and they just acted like I was an idiot and told me I might have to build my own mounts so that's what I did. Built my own mounts that lowered the engine 1.5" and moved it fwd .5". Then decided to cut the sump on my oil pan for clearance.

Don't know what's up with Team Z. They should listen to customer feedback and take a look at the engine positioning. It would be so easy for them to redesign the mounts to at least lower the engine so a transmission would fit without modifying the tunnel.

[edit] Yeah, you have to drop the engine to get driveline angles right.

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 12-14-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree it doesn't matter how good its made...if it doesn't work its still junk. I think this is a good topic for everyone to learn from others experiences. Like I stated earlier anyone who's going to do a swap should look into the racecraft stuff.....
http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...0393ce4d390250

I don't have a foxbody so I don't have any feedback on the quality or any fitment issues but if it comes with the features stated on the their site it should be good....
Old 12-13-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just sent Team Z an email.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by booboo37
What trans ? If you use a th350 you might be ok...but you can only use Dynatech conversion headers.....but i bet the angle will be way off....

I would try and return it before you try it.......even if you have to pay the return shipping, hopefully theres no restocking fee...

But if you try it and have the same problem then we know its a problem with all of them.......good luck..... :~}
4L60 trans, I asked dave if it didn't fit if I could return it he said "yes but its gonna work"

and yes they do have a lot of the fastest stock suspension cars, their products are great ive used them for a lot of stuff over the years. I think they designed this for people using 3speeds and glides. it would be nice if they listed what headers and trans they used when designing it, or offer a set of different motor mounts for people using overdrive transmissions.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSSTANG#1
I just ran across this thread and I see someone put a link to my thread concerning this issue. Team z was no help at all. I sent pictures and they just acted like I was an idiot. Ended up having to build my own mounts that lowered the engine 1.5" and moved it fwd .5". Then had to cut the sump on my oil pan for clearance.

Don't know what's up with Team Z. They should listen to customer feedback and take a look at the engine positioning. It would be so easy for them to redesign the mounts. **** them!

One more time. Look at the mounts SSSTANG#1 had to build to make it work. No way around it. Period. Read his post about the build on his car. He explanis it all. You HAVE to build mounts to get the engine where you want it and for the proper driveline angles. The k member will work, just not with the team z engine mounts......
Old 12-13-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just ran across this thread and I see someone put a link to my thread concerning this issue. Team z was no help at all. I sent pictures and they just acted like I was an idiot. Ended up having to build my own mounts that lowered the engine 1.5" and moved it fwd .5". Then had to cut the sump on my oil pan for clearance.

Don't know what's up with Team Z. They should listen to customer feedback and take a look at the engine positioning. It would be so easy for them to redesign the mounts. **** them!

Nice job on the mounts.......why did you have to go down and forward ??? This guy needs to go down and back towards the firewall....
Old 12-13-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job on the mounts.......why did you have to go down and forward ??? This guy needs to go down and back towards the firewall....
For some reason my engine was farther back than JJ Turbo. The right side head was 1/4" from the firewall. There was no way to get to the bellhousing bolts from the top.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
4L60 trans, I asked dave if it didn't fit if I could return it he said "yes but its gonna work"

and yes they do have a lot of the fastest stock suspension cars, their products are great ive used them for a lot of stuff over the years. I think they designed this for people using 3speeds and glides. it would be nice if they listed what headers and trans they used when designing it, or offer a set of different motor mounts for people using overdrive transmissions.
Let us know what happens and when are you going to try it ?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tried to test fit it Saturday, didn't fit.as I expected. Bolted my AJE back in and I guess that's what I'll be using
Old 12-15-2014, 03:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tried to test fit it Saturday, didn't fit.as I expected. Bolted my AJE back in and I guess that's what I'll be using

Last edited by booboo37; 10-18-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 4l60 didn't fit ??
Was the motor to far from the firewall ???
Was the motor to high up ???
did you take any pictures ??
Are you going to return the z k-member ?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just sent Team Z an email.
What did you say ?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 4l60 didn't fit ??
Was the motor to far from the firewall ???
Was the motor to high up ???
did you take any pictures ??
Are you going to return the z k-member ?
I did not take any pictures (working on the car at my shop I had to get it back to being a roller ASAP) but yes same issue everyone else is having it was too high up in the tunnel and the top of the trans was touching the firewall.

id like to send it back, I was told I could if it didn't fit. im hoping they don't charge me a restocking fee
Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 345LSX
Totally agree it doesn't matter how good its made...if it doesn't work its still junk. I think this is a good topic for everyone to learn from others experiences. Like I stated earlier anyone who's going to do a swap should look into the racecraft stuff.....
http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...0393ce4d390250

I don't have a foxbody so I don't have any feedback on the quality or any fitment issues but if it comes with the features stated on the their site it should be good....
The Racecraft design looks interesting. The thing they do though which would make me hesitant is that they move the steering rack behind the front cross member and force the use of a Pinto rack. Also, from the looks of the motor mounts, the LS mounts appear to be placed in front of or directly above the steering rack, which means either the engine is really far forward, or the steering rack is really far back. This will more than likely make bumpsteer pretty bad or the engine will sit high or both. Granted, if someone is running skinnies on the front, as they would with this type of car and k member, then poor bumpsteer or high drive train is not really much of an issue.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What did you say ?
I called team z several times a few months ago when I was going through this and I think I talked to Frank. We talked about the redesign of the k member that happened a couple years ago and I told him my T56 would just not fit because the engine was too high. I thought they had used the Moroso 21150 oil pan when changing the k member but i see now they didn't. No big deal on that but there was no way in hell the T56 was going to fit and I told him I didn't see how any other trans would work. Is a TH350/400 or glide that much smaller?

He (Frank or whoever) told me they would run it by Dave to see what he thought but I might have to build my own mounts. That's when I said screw it and built my own.

In my email, I reminded them of my situation and told them that I saw someone else having the same problem with a 4L60 and they needed to listen to customer feedback and fix their **** or customers would go some where else.

Yes, I know they (Team Z) have excellent suspension components and I will buy from them again but that motor mount issue was a pain in the *** for me and it should be addressed by them. It would be an extremely easy fix.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all of your input, We did a complete redesign of this K member 1 1/2 years ago, We did it because our original design was built around a morosso aftermarket pan and a power glide, The motor was set to have between a 12 and 13.5 inch crank center line at ride height and moved for better weight bias, which appeared to be far out of the scope of the average LS Mustang swap! People complained about the F body pan not fitting and the engine set back, stock steering shaft placement, headers and transmission, I personally did the redesign to fit the F body pan (which per my GM performance contacts is the worst oil pan for an LS) Flaming river shaft, TH350 TH400 and power glide transmissions and Dynotech headers, We achieved a 13 inch crank center line, header and shaft fitment, all of which I determined to be right.
As for the engine not being back far enough, that is nonsense, we have been moving engines forward for years now to get the weight bias right, the fox suspension is so good that if the engine is set back to far it throws the weight bias off. When we did the redesign we could have put the engine anywhere, I chose to get the location optimized for the pan and transmission and header combo everyone was asking for!
as for judging the engine height from the rack location that is not the correct way to do it! Our rack Location is 1.5 inches lower than anyone else has so we can fit a variety of pans. The proper way to determine proper engine height is to measure crank center line at ride height, not bolt holes from the frame or pan in relation to rack! I'm pretty sure the OP's transmission issue is due to the transmission cross member not being right.

Originally Posted by JJ_TURBO

The engine and transmission angle should be between 3 and 5 degrees down in the rear, and it appears that the engine is probably level!

Ive spent 20 years building race cars and drive line angles are extremely critical, I'm not sure what the difference between the OP's transmission and the TH350, TH400 and glide are but it sure looks like the transmission could be lowered close to 2 inches in the rear based on the pictures!

I called team z several times a few months ago when I was going through this and I think I talked to Frank. We talked about the redesign of the k member that happened a couple years ago and I told him my T56 would just not fit because the engine was too high. I thought they had used the Moroso 21150 oil pan when changing the k member but i see now they didn't. No big deal on that but there was no way in hell the T56 was going to fit and I told him I didn't see how any other trans would work. Is a TH350/400 or glide that much smaller?

He (Frank or whoever) told me they would run it by Dave to see what he thought but I might have to build my own mounts. That's when I said screw it and built my own.

In my email, I reminded them of my situation and told them that I saw someone else having the same problem with a 4L60 and they needed to listen to customer feedback and fix their **** or customers would go some where else.

Yes, I know they (Team Z) have excellent suspension components and I will buy from them again but that motor mount issue was a pain in the *** for me and it should be addressed by them. It would be an extremely easy fix.
I received a copy of your e mail this morning, we listened to customer feed back for a year, and changed it to what it is now, if we would have left it alone people would have been unhappy So we have changed it to fit a variety of pans and transmissions and use a set of off the shelf headers, we have sold several hundred of these since we released it and have changed it and the mounts twice! it seems the majority of people don't have issues unless they try to use a 4L60 or and AJE cross member!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Also when we had the engine lower people said it was too low and the pan was going to get trashed if it was lower than the K member even though ford small blocks have been lower than the cross member in FORDS FOR ABOUT 50 YEARS!

The difference was only about an inch between the old which was "too Low" and the new which is "too high" and that was so off the shelf headers will clear the steering shaft!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well this is how the Quicktime bellhousing sat in the tunnel. there was no way to get the T56 to mate up...

and this is where the FR steering rack was without offset bushings...

This is after lowering the engine 1.5" and offset rack bushings...

None of this had anything to do with the transmission crossmember because I couldn't even put it in until I dropped the engine.

Quick Reply: 87 Foxbody, TeamZ Kmember 60e Clearance Issue