Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little Confused

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Confused

I have a 96 ss s10 and have put a 5.3L in it. I notched a pretty damn good chunk of the cross member and sectioned my truck oil pan but yet it all persists to get sucked all the way over to the right side. How do I get this fixed? Is it the mounts?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:29 AM
12 Second Club

Post up a couple of pics of engine mounts and trans mount if trans is attached, then it will be a little easier to tell what it is.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Ok work with me here, I deleted the pic I had a long time ago but this is a pic off of Google those are the mounts I had- one skinny longer tab one and a wider tab short one. Not sure which goes on what side or orientation.. Here's the deal still, big notch and modified oil pan- I jus left a temporary tube under the trans so It could slide around with no snags- I couldn't fig out the short tab one ( had it on the passenger side) so what I did was I had two sets of the same mounts, I cut the longer tabs off the other set and welded them on to replace the short tab( hoping that it'd help push the motor towards the center of the truck) it didn't. So then at work I laser cut the exact mount plate out of 5/16 material as a spacer put that in- all in all no change n the motor is still sucked to the right n is virtually zero gap between the X member and oil pan- fml lol. If I did anything wrong feel free to call me dumb Haha, if anyone else has pics feel free to post em here
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the H3 pan and still had to notch the crossmember, the truck pan hung too low for me to try to use.

As for the mounts, they are designed so that when they are installed, the slotted holes are parallel to the ground so that you can adjust the engine from side to side to get it where you want it before you tighten them down. If you went and modified them I have no way of helping you figure it out.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Teching In

The only reason I changed it was bc the short tab mount didn't even come close to letting me get the main bolt thru. Trust me I'm like wtf.. thats why I'm hoping for clarity/opinions/answers on here lol
Old 01-30-2015, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

The long tab side goes on LH side to offset the engine so steering shaft will clear. If you want it dead center, you may have steering shaft issue. Headers and mounts are built to fit this offset about an inch (when from same manufacturer). The S10 mounts I used on my Ranger were trans-dapt and they were the same size on both mounts. I had to shim (1/4 inch)the motor over to clear the steering shaft which made the lower mounts(clam shell and rubber) sit higher in the k member.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 AM
12 Second Club

When you get the engine were you want it, make sure its parallel with the frame rails. Then set the driveline angle to match your pinion angle for stock application. If racing the truck then set your pinion angle accordingly.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Ok, A: found the pic I was looking for. B: slots forward or back?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

This is what I found for that mount. My mounts are the same length on both sides that's why I had to shim it towards the passenger side .
Old 01-31-2015, 01:14 AM
Teching In

I'll have to look into it tomorrow, in the process of changing out rearends from open 3.42 to posi 3.73 right now

Quick Reply: Little Confused