Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsa blower swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was curious the see the layout of the LSA FEAD. Here it is, for those unfamiliar. Thanks again for the information to those already down the path!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is also Chevrolet's installation documentation for the LSA drive package with part numbers:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...m-19303242.pdf
Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Pocket
rpturbo

You also want #4. The LSA main accessory tensioner is slightly different to clear the idler bracket. You prob wont find any cheaper alternatives to the idlers as they're extra wide and dual bearing to prevent wobbling under load. Some diesel parts may do the job but they're just as expensive

Bolts are your call. Fastenal or similar will cost about the same but wont be flange head 15mm like every other M10 bolt on the engine. Waste too much time scrounging a JY for similar bolts. The M8 bolts that attach the idler bracket to WP are easy though. The long through bolts can be had from an old headbolt kit. The M8 bolts are not TTY and come with new bolts kits anyways. The lone short M8 is the same as the F/R/valley cover bolts

Pocket,
Thanks for the info. I completely forgot about these being 8 rib, damnit. GM is pretty reasonable with their bolts imo, at least most of them.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by DW SD
Here is also Chevrolet's installation documentation for the LSA drive package with part numbers:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...m-19303242.pdf
Thats a good one and covers C5/6 FEAD with the LSA. It also covers the common PS reservoir issue with a solution too. Just a heads up, the Holley LS brackets fit just like the corvette brackets and have the same PS res issue

CTS-V PS pumps are the same for all versions. Only the tank changed for LSA V2's to clear the TB better. Surprisingly the V1 white tank still clears the TB barely
Old 11-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DW SD
I was curious the see the layout of the LSA FEAD. Here it is, for those unfamiliar. Thanks again for the information to those already down the path!

If you need more clearance for steering, etc you can get a different GMPP LSA FEAD they call the "LSA Modified Accessory Drive" that uses a corvette high mount Alt. I know Pace has it on their site.

Name:  image_zpsxpdxhxsk.jpg
Views: 3867
Size:  151.0 KB
Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Very nice cars posted with the completed swaps. Good execution, gentlemen.

What are your overall impressions of the l92 heads and lsa blower combination?

My plan is to start with the lsa FEAD, lsa cam, and lsa pcm to make life easier in the long run. All for a ls2 with the 4.8 crank and rods, making 328ci, l92 heads, and the lsa blower. Hopefully going into my s10 after I swap it to the astro/bravada awd.
Only put a few hundred miles on it, but it runs strong I really like it. I think we've talked about my combo on Lat G, L92 long block w/ BTR Stage III, stock pullies. Only disappointment is in the lack of boost, per the direction of who was supposed to tune it (until he blew me off 4 times, a very respected poster on Lat G) I kept stock pullies. At 5 lbs boost it made 552RW on a Mustang dyno but only 458 ft lbs (albeit a crazy flat torque curve). I know with this combo it would have done a lot better on 8 or 9 lbs, even w/ a 93 tune.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

We did, indeed, speak on LatG, I apologize for not recognizing who you are. That really sucks about your original tuner's customer service. But I'm glad you found someone to tune it so you can enjoy it. Increasing boost via pulleys is easy enough to do down the road, you can at least drive what you have and work out all the little bugs before stepping up to kill mode.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

We did, indeed, speak on LatG, I apologize for not recognizing who you are. That really sucks about your original tuner's customer service. But I'm glad you found someone to tune it so you can enjoy it. Increasing boost via pulleys is easy enough to do down the road, you can at least drive what you have and work out all the little bugs before stepping up to kill mode.
That's exactly the plan. Just a shame I didn't do the pulleys when building the engine from a short block as that's so much easier than doing in car.

Really though without mini tubs and big rubber any more torque is just wasted, as it sits it's very fast and drives awesome. It ended up being tuned by Dr Phill who is really good local here in Detroit, highly recommended on here and from some of my friends/builder.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Can anyone confirm the length of injectors that fit? I am trying to find out if they are the longer or shorter style. I want to buy some aftermarket SD. I think I am going to get 80# injectors. I figure they will be a bit big for for a stock setup, but I plan on a cam, ported heads and blower if I go this route, otherwise, I will have a TC78 Turbonetics and 12#'s.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm chiming in at the tail end of some of this, I have not read all the way through all of this thread, but skimmed through some of it, look at the pics through all of it & didnt see this layout so I will post it.

I have an LS2 (with LS3 heads) in an 86 Monte SS & want to put the Cadillac supercharger on it. I actually already have it. But I mounted the engine 1" back and don't want to redo that, I have the Holley AC compressor mounting it up high on the passenger side because I dont have room down low. I have debated this setup from LSXConcepts. Others have said there isn't enough belt wrap on the supercharger pulley. I will have to change AC bracket, they say their stuff wont work with the Holly bracket. Here is what their setup looks like:

Old 11-20-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I think that setup is lacking in the belt wrap department. Maybe if the tensioner angled up, towards the supercharger pulley.

If you do use that setup, then never pulley down the blower, or belt slip will be unavoidable. To get more boost, your only option is an overdrive crank pulley.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

I think that setup is lacking in the belt wrap department. Maybe if the tensioner angled up, towards the supercharger pulley.

If you do use that setup, then never pulley down the blower, or belt slip will be unavoidable. To get more boost, your only option is an overdrive crank pulley.
They (LSX) just responded in another thread on a Chevelle LSA swap that it's 5% less wrap than stock belt wrap. If that's the case it's probably fine as it's an 8 rib belt unlike some of the 6 belt/lower wrap designs out there.

With that in mind I'd look at this or the GM Modified (which high mounts the alt) with the Kwik bracket to low mount the Sanden mini-compressor as the two best solutions on vette/lsa FEAD spacing. If I were doing over again I'd price both out completely and see what the differences is and decide from there. The complete GM modified FEAD is about $1k (alt and power steering, all tensioners/belts etc), plus $250 for the compressor and probably another $200 for Kwik bracket. Not sure total cost using the LSX parts?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

samckitt, Thanks for posting up that option. According to what their website says, it can be used with the Corvette fead, just need the LSA waterpump and lower crank pulley. I, like probably everyone here, and trying to piece together a full working setup.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a couple other questions for you guys who have completed this swap.
1. What are you doing for a fuel system? Does this need a boost reference regulator since my understanding of the CTS-V fuel system has a PWM run fuel pump in it, and obviously, most of us won't be doing that?
2. Are these setup with a MAF card or are these built from the factory without a MAF? I haven't seen a MAF card on any of the pics I have seen.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Default lsa blower swap?

My Fuel system
A1000 pump in tank -10 feed, -8 return (complete overkill)
Boost referenced aeromotive regulator w/ -6 line to fuel rail. 58 psi base pressure.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-st...h-fuel-system/

The factory lsa with e67 uses a round MAF similar to the trucks. I believe the connect and cruise kit uses the LS7 card style.

I have an LS7 card MAF but we ended up going SD because I have a 24x 0411 setup and we ran out of scaling at 5000 rpm.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I have a couple other questions for you guys who have completed this swap.
1. What are you doing for a fuel system? Does this need a boost reference regulator since my understanding of the CTS-V fuel system has a PWM run fuel pump in it, and obviously, most of us won't be doing that?
2. Are these setup with a MAF card or are these built from the factory without a MAF? I haven't seen a MAF card on any of the pics I have seen.
I have a Tanks Inc tank with the Walbro 450 in tank pump, and used the C5 vette filter/regulator for constant 58 psi fuel supply. I understand this to be easier to setup and get right then boost referenced or PWM.

I used the GMPP LSA wiring kit which has the MAF sensor.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

RLJ676, do you have a running swap? I also have the Corvette filter setup, but it sure seems like without a boost reference FPR, or something else, just a base fuel pressure sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I guess the pics I have seen, don't show the MAF or something. I have a truck MAF currently for my N/A setup, but as ctsvcaddy said, I would think it would hit a "wall".
Old 11-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rpturbo
RLJ676, do you have a running swap? I also have the Corvette filter setup, but it sure seems like without a boost reference FPR, or something else, just a base fuel pressure sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I guess the pics I have seen, don't show the MAF or something. I have a truck MAF currently for my N/A setup, but as ctsvcaddy said, I would think it would hit a "wall".
I have about 300 miles on it so far, runs flawless.

I'd assume the only potential issue is if your injectors aren't big enough to flow what's needed at 58 psi. I'm using ID850's, but if wanting to make the 552 RWHP I did on stock LSA injectors at 58 PSI maybe there'd be risk. Both tuners I was dealing with prefer this to any sort of changing pressure setup, that's just another un-needed variable.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks! That is great to hear and know!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Not changing fuel pressure is more of a variable. The reason why pressure is raised 1:1 is to counteract the boost trying to push the fuel backwards down the injector's throat. Flow shouldn't actually change as the pressure goes up with boost, it's reduced at idle because the intake vacuum attempts to suck the fuel out of the injector....

Quick Reply: lsa blower swap?