Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researching for LS build, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015 | 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Default Researching for LS build, a few questions

Hi all,

This is my first post, and now that my brain is fully developed I've realized that I need to put an LS into my '69 firebird!

I'm looking at 5.3 engines as this is a simple car that I don't race and I drive fairly often.

I plan to use my M20 trans as there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I think I have everything under control here; all of this is pretty simple.

I also plan to modify the harness myself. I would consider myself handy (not experienced though!) with electronics, so I'm willing to accept the challenge.

I'm still reading up on oil pans; not sure exactly what to do here. I could buy the Holley pan for $350, but I've been thinking about welding one up myself. Has anyone done this? What gauge sheet metal (steel) is recommended?

My big question right now is with the accessories for the firebird. I have a really nice pulley system and fan that is still hooked up in my firebird and I want to use that. Is it possible to make my own mounting brackets so that I can use my fan, power steering pump, and alternator? I'm pretty good at cutting out sheet metal, but if it isn't possible, then I'm out of luck here. Also, can I use my existing radiator but bending my own hoses for it?

Thanks for your attention, I really appreciate any advice I can get on this!
Old 07-13-2015 | 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Greg,

I would use all of the Holley components designed for 1st gen F-bodies. I am talking mounts, pan, and trans crossmember, and headers. It is a system designed to work together.

As for accessories, it would be a real challenge to make accessories made for a Pontiac engine to work on a LS engine. I suggest you sell all those parts and use the Holley accessory brackets. Look on the Holley website for details.

Andrew
Old 07-14-2015 | 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. Do you know if the holley motor mounts will put the end of the LS engine in the same location as my existing Pontiac? I'd like to be able to use my existing transmission location.

Also, where can I get a good 621 style bellhousing? I don't think that keisler is in business anymore. Has anyone used the American Powertrain one? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aw...0003/overview/

Thanks

Last edited by Greg.H; 07-14-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2015 | 05:42 PM
Launching!

Greg, great to see you over here ( saw your post on nastyz). Lots of great info here...plenty of nice people who have done the LSx swap in a first gen.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...3-w-th350.html

I google searched 5.3 in 68 firebird to find the above post. Best of luck!

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...o-engine-swap/
Old 07-14-2015 | 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg.H
Thanks. Do you know if the holley motor mounts will put the end of the LS engine in the same location as my existing Pontiac? I'd like to be able to use my existing transmission location.

Also, where can I get a good 621 style bellhousing? I don't think that keisler is in business anymore. Has anyone used the American Powertrain one? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aw...0003/overview/

Thanks
Your desire to use the M20 will render the Hooker/Holley components non-usable to you as a complete system. Your most pressing issue will be to find a set of headers that will accommodate your mechanical clutch linkage; most do not as the steering box complicates the fitment greatly. The New Hooker clamshell retrofit style brackets also do not maintain the stock location of the engine/transmission mating plane as you desire.
Old 07-14-2015 | 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the links to the other threads, they look like good reads.

I may just end up making my own adapter plates so that I can put the engine wherever I want.

Also, I plan on using the stock exhaust manifolds for now, according to the thread on 67-69 f-bodies they should work.
Old 07-19-2015 | 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

hey Greg welcome! Look around at your options. There are shorty headers on ebay. I bought a set for $165.00, all stainless and came with collectors, gaskets and bolts. They were listed as Bel Air or Impala ls1 headers. but, small and tight to the block. Dont worry about the wiring harness. Goto lt1swap.com, he has a lot of info on what to keep and what to get rid of. Heck he can in a base tune to get it going. My point is there is alot of great info. and great people to help out.
Old 07-19-2015 | 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Hey, welcome to the party. My nova build will accommodate a lot of your ambitions as far as integrating LS stuff in your f-body on a budget. I've got lots of pictures in my thread and am constantly modifying and improving my projects and ideas. Skim through my thread and if you like any ideas I had, I'll answer any questions you have.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...urbo-nova.html
You may check out this thread too:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-thread.html

Quick Reply: Researching for LS build, a few questions