Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up my fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

I cut a hole in the trunk of my Nova so the modified stock tank would work. Its got way over 100k on the swap, so I would say an intank pump will last long enough and be reliable enough to drive it anywhere. I could probably swap out the pump on the side of the road in half an hour with the quick connects on the sender and the acccess hole in the trunk. Thats the one thing imports have that domestic cars need, fuel pump access doors, eliminates the need to drop the tank.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trap door in the bottom of the trunk is definitely a logical idea, but the guy that I bought the car from did way too nice of a job on the trunk and body to cut a hole in it...it would be like cutting off a few of my own fingers.

I don't want to cheap out on the fuel system, and I have the money to buy a pre-done tank and pump system, but I won't buy it if I can do the equivalent myself.
I can definitely cut my existing tank and put in a baffle/bucket, that isn't a problem for me. I even have an old tank that I can cut up if I need extra metal.

My big dilemma is finding an in-tank pump that's reliable and won't cost me an arm and a leg, there's got to be one. Right now I have my eye on the Bosch pumps, they're relatively inexpensive and rated pretty high.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

on my 76 skylark i bought a new tank on ebay, silverado pump(06) and cut tank made it work. no hole in trunk, i cut lowered area on top of tank so it clear. bottom of tank i welded o 4inch deep 6x6 box for pump. pump sits in that as now lowest part of tank. i have less than $200 into it. best part parts stores anywhere will have pump. I bought gas tank sealer paint made by Northern painted tank. took care of any missed pin holes in welds. its black.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vetteworks sells the recessed metal inset that you put on top of the tank. You can shorten the fuel bucket or buy the 5th gen camaro pump (considerably shorter than 4 th gen).

Pics of your car?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Lots of mis-information and general overkill BS IMO. You absolutely can use barb fitting or pushlock hose. You don't need "special" high pressure lines or custom tanks. IMO a simple 12-16 gal poly cell from summit, pushlock hose/fittings and a single 044 is the way to go.

An external inline 044 is about as bullet proof as it gets. They have excellent track records and are one of the most reliable "race" pumps ever made. If you keep your tank full you can also simply tap what you have and run it to an 044 pump. I've seen many tap the tank drain with great success.

Also FWIW my 2 inline 255 pumps ran for years with zero issues and pulled from factory location on top of the OEM fuel cell. If the pumps burn up it's usually a voltage or supply/filter problem. The 044 is a much better pump however.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove my Tanks Inc tank down to less than 2 gallons and did not suck air so don't let that sway you away from that option. Just don't install the rubber gaskets they give you.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Lots of mis-information and general overkill BS IMO. You absolutely can use barb fitting or pushlock hose. You don't need "special" high pressure lines or custom tanks. IMO a simple 12-16 gal poly cell from summit, pushlock hose/fittings and a single 044 is the way to go.

An external inline 044 is about as bullet proof as it gets. They have excellent track records and are one of the most reliable "race" pumps ever made. If you keep your tank full you can also simply tap what you have and run it to an 044 pump. I've seen many tap the tank drain with great success.

Also FWIW my 2 inline 255 pumps ran for years with zero issues and pulled from factory location on top of the OEM fuel cell. If the pumps burn up it's usually a voltage or supply/filter problem. The 044 is a much better pump however.
I'm running a 12 gallon poly cell now and the bottom sump works great, but I completely disagree with an external pump being bulletproof for a daily driver. Racing however is a different story. Maybe the biggest problem is my location being Arizona, but any external pump will have issues here. After a couple hour drive in the summer they just get too damn hot and begin to get extremely noisy and then fail.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:35 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1964SS
I'm running a 12 gallon poly cell now and the bottom sump works great, but I completely disagree with an external pump being bulletproof for a daily driver. Racing however is a different story. Maybe the biggest problem is my location being Arizona, but any external pump will have issues here. After a couple hour drive in the summer they just get too damn hot and begin to get extremely noisy and then fail.
You can't say "all" external pumps will fail. It's just not true. Do you have direct experience with an 044? The 044 is one of the most reliable/durable pumps ever made IMO. Arizona or no, i've never seen overheating issues with an 044. Some of the aftermarket "race" pumps do have overheating issues. (really bad luck with A1000's) I've NEVER seen an 044 overheat or fail if setup properly.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
You can't say "all" external pumps will fail. It's just not true. Do you have direct experience with an 044? The 044 is one of the most reliable/durable pumps ever made IMO. Arizona or no, i've never seen overheating issues with an 044. Some of the aftermarket "race" pumps do have overheating issues. (really bad luck with A1000's) I've NEVER seen an 044 overheat or fail if setup properly.
Yes I do have experience with them as well and they are better pumps, but they cost twice as much and fail as well. Fuel can start to vaporize at 120F. If it's 110-115F outside then it's very easy for the external pump running nonstop to get extremely hot "well over 120F" and then they start cavitating which drastically shortens the life of the pump.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:23 AM
8 Second Club

I’ve lived in FL and KS where it gets almost as hot and I’ve never had an issue. I’ve used multiple inline 255’s, 044’s, and currently use a 4303 magnafuel pump. All external and had zero problems with any of them in 100+* heat for extended periods. Also I’d like to point out this was on E85 which has a lower boiling point that standard gasoline.

Personally I don’t see vapor lock happening at 120* unless you are at a very high elevation. If the fuel pump supply line is kept close to the aft of the tank in a well ventilated area it is VERY unlikely vapor lock will occur.

The only time I had cavitation issues was when my supply/return lines weren’t up to par, or the pre-pump filter wasn’t flowing enough.

The only time I’ve seen vapor lock is with low pressure pumps mounted in the engine bay or on the engine itself.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

I have heard better things about the 044. I'm not terribly worried about an in-line pump, but trying to change a pump in the tank on the side of the road isn't something that I want to do.

I guess right now I just need a recommendation for a reliable, reasonably priced in-tank pump. Otherwise I'll probably go with a bosch 044. I like the walbro255 in-line, but it seems like they die out after a little while. Not sure about the walbro255 in-tank, haven't read much about their quality.

Last edited by Greg.H; 09-29-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How about a EP381 it is a G.M. A/C Delco Pump and is what originally came in my Ricks tank, about $60-70 from Amazon or Rock Auto. Hard to beat O.E.M. Quality
Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

How about twin in tank pumps? Have it set up so that when the one being used goes out it is a simple matter of switching a few wires around or for that matter just flipping a switch and the the other pump comes on line and you can replace the fried pump at your convenience. You could also have an external pump be the backup.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

At $70 I could buy two of the EP381 for one of the walbro255. Do you have a pressure rating for this pump? Twin pumps sounds excessive but doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Greg.H
I have heard better things about the 044. I'm not terribly worried about an in-line pump, but trying to change a pump in the tank on the side of the road isn't something that I want to do.
Originally Posted by gsteele
How about twin in tank pumps? Have it set up so that when the one being used goes out it is a simple matter of switching a few wires around or for that matter just flipping a switch and the the other pump comes on line
Trust me, you are NOT going to want to change out an external pump on the side of the highway either, they make a huge mess. If you are really scared that the pump will go out in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, then do yourself a favor and cut the access hole, just keep your fingers away from the saw! Then put some quick disconmects on the sender and you will be able to swap a pump anywhere in less than half an hour. Keep a spare pump in the trunk and you will most likley never need to do it.

A lot of this to me seems like total paranoia though. What kind of new cars do you guys drive? There are literally millions of crappy Hyundais and Kias on the road that will go 100k on an intank pump. People dont freak out about driving one of those POSs across the country. Get a good quality in tank pump, be it a Walbro 255, bosche044 or even an ACDelco ep381, put it in right and quit worring yourself sick over what MAY happen. **** does happen, sure, but you deal with it when it happens. If it bothers you too muchn get you some AAA insurance, its cheap and they'll pick you up darned near anrwhere.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Greg.H
At $70 I could buy two of the EP381 for one of the walbro255. Do you have a pressure rating for this pump? Twin pumps sounds excessive but doesn't seem like a bad idea.
An ep381 will run a stock LS engine no problem, if you start adding power adders, then you would most likley want to step it up a bit.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Trust me, you are NOT going to want to change out an external pump on the side of the highway either, they make a huge mess. If you are really scared that the pump will go out in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, then do yourself a favor and cut the access hole, just keep your fingers away from the saw! Then put some quick disconmects on the sender and you will be able to swap a pump anywhere in less than half an hour. Keep a spare pump in the trunk and you will most likley never need to do it.

A lot of this to me seems like total paranoia though. What kind of new cars do you guys drive? There are literally millions of crappy Hyundais and Kias on the road that will go 100k on an intank pump. People dont freak out about driving one of those POSs across the country. Get a good quality in tank pump, be it a Walbro 255, bosche044 or even an ACDelco ep381, put it in right and quit worring yourself sick over what MAY happen. **** does happen, sure, but you deal with it when it happens. If it bothers you too muchn get you some AAA insurance, its cheap and they'll pick you up darned near anrwhere.
great post ls1nova71! I'll add on a little...my son is driving his mom's old 98 accord-235k- same fuel pump! My 06 Silverado-145k-same fuel pump. Submersible fuel pump (buckets) have been used for years and are in just about every fuel injected vehicle sold today. Worried about your fuel pump? Don't be..worry about other stuff. Since I have been driving my LS swapped 78 TA I only got stranded once. This past June, night before I leave for vacation, 7:30 at night, my key tumbler breaks. I do carry basic tools and was able to drop column, hot wire the car, get home safe. Other issues have been starter, ignition switch, and starter heat soak. I second the idea of AAA or hagerty plus. Heck, I don't even have a spare tire! Lots of things to go wrong in a vehicle made in the 60's or 70's.

My car came mostly done..and it had a Bosch 044 external. I drove ~2000 miles that way with no issues other than it was loud. If you are not worried about cost, buy the new 5th gen Camaro bucket. It's short..and would probably fit in the short 1 gen tank. It is pricey. Again, I think I posted a link previously on how someone shortened a fuel bucket...so it can be done.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, I think I'll stick with an 044 in the tank. Plus it's probably easier to find an in-tank pump vs an external in the case of a break down.

Also, if I want to use the stock regulator located on my existing 5.3 fuel rail, should I still use the corvette fuel filter and just bock off the return? Tanks Inc has one that's preset to 58psi and it's only $35.

Last edited by Greg.H; 10-01-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Setting up my fuel system