Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 gto ls1 6 speed swap

anyone who has done this swap please help which harness and pcm did you use? they don't seem to make one specific to this swap for some reason. thx and sorry if im not posting correctly im having a hard time understanding this website layout
Old 03-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69 Custom S Vert
ycgoat, would you post a picture of the weld-in tabs that come with your aftermarket crossmember? I'd like to look at them. Thx.
I will post some up tonight
Old 03-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Here is are pics of the cross member bolted loosely to the trans.

When I get the correct mounts I will put the body back on and modify/repair the tunnel, and verify the max mounting height of this cross member. At some point durring that process I will order the headers and decide if I can use this cross member and determine the final solution.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Todd, follow up stroker question and Pan 302-2. I think I know the answer to this question but I want to ask to be sure. I have seen your comments on other strings about using spacers on the pan to accommodate stroker engines. Am I correct that spacers for the oil pan cannot be used with your new engine mounts? (putting aside the issue of the 2 bolts that tie the pan and transmission together.) And the only answer, if I want to use a stroker engine with your mounts is the modify the pan by cutting out a window in the pan itself to allow the front crank throw and rods to clear the pan and then weld a 1/4" aluminum sheet metal tray (about 1/4" deep with only three sides to allow oil drain back into the sump) over the window to seal it up?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdavid
Todd, follow up stroker question and Pan 302-2. I think I know the answer to this question but I want to ask to be sure. I have seen your comments on other strings about using spacers on the pan to accommodate stroker engines. Am I correct that spacers for the oil pan cannot be used with your new engine mounts? (putting aside the issue of the 2 bolts that tie the pan and transmission together.) And the only answer, if I want to use a stroker engine with your mounts is the modify the pan by cutting out a window in the pan itself to allow the front crank throw and rods to clear the pan and then weld a 1/4" aluminum sheet metal tray (about 1/4" deep with only three sides to allow oil drain back into the sump) over the window to seal it up?
I don't believe it would be possible to use spacers with the 302-2 pan in this application due to the close proximity the tie rods come to the front of the pan during steering operation. Yes, you would have to a construct/weld a pop-out tray so to speak over the front crank throw to allow the pan to be used on a stroker engine.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

To anyone on the fence about this kit, I can attest to it. It's fricken amazing! Todd has done an incredible job designing this. Originally for my LSA/4L80E swap in my 1972 Chevelle, I started off with the CTSV pan, Dingo Sliders and SW headers. With those, I could get the trans to fit, but then the headers wouldn't clear. To get the headers to clear, the trans wouldn't fit. With the 1" forward mounts, 302-2, and Blackheart Headers, everything fits like a glove. Such a time saver!! Bonus.....I can use low mount AC too! Thanks again Todd! Great work!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Mdavid, this is a picture of the oil pan mod to accommodate a stroker. Mine is undergoing surgery as we speak. Will post picture when done.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by korndawg
To anyone on the fence about this kit, I can attest to it. It's fricken amazing! Todd has done an incredible job designing this. Originally for my LSA/4L80E swap in my 1972 Chevelle, I started off with the CTSV pan, Dingo Sliders and SW headers. With those, I could get the trans to fit, but then the headers wouldn't clear. To get the headers to clear, the trans wouldn't fit. With the 1" forward mounts, 302-2, and Blackheart Headers, everything fits like a glove. Such a time saver!! Bonus.....I can use low mount AC too! Thanks again Todd! Great work!
Thanks for providing a testimonial report Korndawg...we set out to fix all the major fitment issues that have been associated with this LS swap application and I think we created some components with real value in the process. The bend geometry of the Blackheart headers (both the long-tube and mid-lengths) is quite unique in the fact that they will provide excellent fitment with the Hooker forward-bias engine brackets as well as the rear-bias engine brackets, which represents 1.25" of fore/aft movement. The long tubes also allow you to leave the brake proportioning valve in its stock location in most cases. Is your proportioning valve still in the stock location?

Last edited by Toddoky; 08-17-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Thanks for providing a testimonial report Korndawg...we set out to fix all the major fitment issues that have been associated with this LS swap application and I think we created some components with real value in the process. The bend Blackheart headers (both the long-tube and mid-lengths) is quite unique in the fact that they will provide excellent fitment with the Hooker forward-bias engine brackets as well as the rear-bias engine brackets, which represents 1.25" of fore/aft movement. The long tubes also allow you to leave the brake proportioning valve in its stock location in most cases. Is your proportioning valve still in the stock location?
Yup, prop valve in stock location (see it in the pic). The bends are all perfect. I'm really surprised at home much room we have now in the tunnel even w the 4L80e. It's not even close to hitting anymore. Huge relief.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by korndawg
Yup, prop valve in stock location (see it in the pic). The bends are all perfect. I'm really surprised at home much room we have now in the tunnel even w the 4L80e. It's not even close to hitting anymore. Huge relief.

The value of posting your experience with the Hooker components is much greater to other members here than anything I can give out since it is comparative to other known products you have previously tried...my job gets easier on these threads with each new user testimonial. Please do me a favor when you get a change and take a straight line top-down photo of the clearance between the back of your engine and the firewall and post it up so I can steal it for my application file.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

For anyone interested, I have more pics posted in my thread here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l80e-swap.html

Todd has been great answering questions here too (even on Easter). Valuable member indeed!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd has been great answering questions here too (even on Easter). Valuable member indeed!
Agreed. Now get that 3" exhaust kit released

Seriously, all jokes aside Todd has been extremely helpful (I've PM'd the heck out of him over last few months).

I'm in the early stages of doing a similar swap to korndawg (early stage, just did cam swap on my crate '15 ZL1 LSA engine, but will have 4L80 and Hooker mounts, headers and exhaust). One of the differences I have is ill be trying the G-Force crossmember I've had for "years" (been sitting on it unboxed because of engine changes, trans works, etc, etc). Looking at it, it'll work just fine with this setup.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NorCalChevelle
Agreed. Now get that 3" exhaust kit released

Seriously, all jokes aside Todd has been extremely helpful (I've PM'd the heck out of him over last few months).

I'm in the early stages of doing a similar swap to korndawg (early stage, just did cam swap on my crate '15 ZL1 LSA engine, but will have 4L80 and Hooker mounts, headers and exhaust). One of the differences I have is ill be trying the G-Force crossmember I've had for "years" (been sitting on it unboxed because of engine changes, trans works, etc, etc). Looking at it, it'll work just fine with this setup.
Crossmember is next on my list! I purchased the SW exhaust awhile back. If that doesn't work, I'll def be buying the hooker exhaust.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:51 PM
Teching In

korndawg, what FEAD system are you going be using? I was looking at this engine and was thinking of using the Modified LSA Accessory Drive Package #19303244. But for AC your only choices are Corvette or CTS units. What are you using for AC? Unrelated but are you going to change the pulley size?

Also, with the 4L80 you didn't have to do any pounding around the return lines?

69 Custom S Vert, thanks for the picture. Can ask where you had this done and the cost?

Todd, I understand that a spacer cannot be used in this application but as a general question would this spacer work with the 302-2 pan? http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/image...895302883.jpeg

http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/produ...&categoryId=-1
Old 03-30-2016, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Mdavid;19207365]korndawg, what FEAD system are you going be using? I was looking at this engine and was thinking of using the Modified LSA Accessory Drive Package #19303244. But for AC your only choices are Corvette or CTS units. What are you using for AC? Unrelated but are you going to change the pulley size?

I am using that exact package but with the 19244106 add-on. I may possibly be mounting that this weekend so I will let you know how that ends up.
I am also running a 2.4 Upper pulley.

Also, with the 4L80 you didn't have to do any pounding around the return lines?
I have a 2001 trans and am planning on using 90 degree banjo fittings so no pounding or dimpling should be required. I'm actually surprised how much room there is.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Korndawg, I think the 19244106 is the CTS AC unit. I didn't think it would fit. Hope it does for you. The other question I had about using it was I was going to buy the complete AC system from Vintage Air and from their website I don't know you the factory compressor will work with the Vintage Air system. If I remember they wanted you to use a Sanden mini unit. If it fits please send a picture. I am curious about where the input lines are (i.e facing back or clocked on the side). With the 2.4 pulley you should be around 640 horses. are you changing the fuel injectors too? from what I read they are only good for around 600hp or less. What are you using for a fuel pump? its a never ending cycle. good luck I hope all goes well.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mdavid
Korndawg, I think the 19244106 is the CTS AC unit. I didn't think it would fit. Hope it does for you. The other question I had about using it was I was going to buy the complete AC system from Vintage Air and from their website I don't know you the factory compressor will work with the Vintage Air system. If I remember they wanted you to use a Sanden mini unit. If it fits please send a picture. I am curious about where the input lines are (i.e facing back or clocked on the side). With the 2.4 pulley you should be around 640 horses. are you changing the fuel injectors too? from what I read they are only good for around 600hp or less. What are you using for a fuel pump? its a never ending cycle. good luck I hope all goes well.
I'll try to test fit that AC and let you know. On top of the pulley, I added a stout cam, C&R HX and ZL1 intercooler pump to help keep that air cool.....so I'll be well above 640 fwhp. I added FIC 1000 injectors too. For a fuel system, I'm thinking on using a Ricks Restomod tank w/ Vaporworx controller and CTS-V pump module. I really want to take advantage of the PWM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The vintage air and other add on air conditioning are based off the same sanden compressor with screw on fittings for the lines. A factory compressor uses different sealing washers and different connection method. You can get a serpentine pulley on their sanden compressors but you need to specify when you order. They have LS mounts also. The Chevelle kits come with everything to put AC on a Chevelle with a BBC or SBC. Im not sure if they would exchange the pulleys and mounts for LS and serpentine compressor.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

What shifter are the 4l80e swappers planning to use? I've been eyeing the Lokar shifter below. It comes in a tunnel mount version that I'm hoping works.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Custom S Vert
What shifter are the 4l80e swappers planning to use? I've been eyeing the Lokar shifter below. It comes in a tunnel mount version that I'm hoping works.
I would like to know about this as well. If I do the 4L80e swap I was thinking about using the same shifter. I like the manual shifter look.

Andrew

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview