Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That G-Force transmission cross member is like the one I have on my 1965 Skylark and it weighs a ton. I am hoping to change it out with the Holley unit which appears to be a lot lighter.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The first production run of the 1-7/8" mid-length headers has been completed and will get boxed up and placed on the shelf next week. The transmission crossmembers are running a week behind schedule but should get delivered next week. Here's a photo of a set of the mid-length headers out of the completed batch...
Todd,

I don't suppose you have a CAD drawing, with dimensions, of the mid length headers as they are installed on an engine?

Andrew
Old 04-25-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Todd,

I don't suppose you have a CAD drawing, with dimensions, of the mid length headers as they are installed on an engine?

Andrew
Hello Andrew. We model most of our new header assemblies in CAD, like this one, but we don't produce dimensioned drawings of the header assemblies since it would serve as no benefit to us to do so. If you need some basic measurements I can install the master set of headers on an engine for you and get them for you...you just have to let me know what you're looking for.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Hello Andrew. We model most of our new header assemblies in CAD, like this one, but we don't produce dimensioned drawings of the header assemblies since it would serve as no benefit to us to do so. If you need some basic measurements I can install the master set of headers on an engine for you and get them for you...you just have to let me know what you're looking for.
Thanks Todd!

Publishing dimensional drawings would allow people to see if headers might fit applications that they were not intended for, thus potentially increasing sales.

Widest point at the heads and at the collectors.

Andrew
Old 04-25-2016, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered a set of mid length last week.

Tim
Old 04-25-2016, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Thanks Todd!

Publishing dimensional drawings would allow people to see if headers might fit applications that they were not intended for, thus potentially increasing sales.

Widest point at the heads and at the collectors.

Andrew
I'll try and do a mock-up for you by the end of this week. We don't pursue support of one-off applications as it's never worked out to be worth the effort either here or at Bassani when I worked there. The two scenarios that usually evolve from that situation are as follows:

1.) A user makes a purchase based on misinterpreted print dimensions or dimensions measured incorrectly on his end and then wants to return the headers when it becomes obvious they won't fit...of course the headers are now scratched up from the attempted install and have to be scrapped.

2.) A customer buys the headers and test fits them on his one-off application and determines they would fit if the bend geometry of a particular tube could be changed ever so slightly,so he gives Holley tech service a call to inquire if it's possible to do so. When the customer service tech tells him it's not possible the user jumps on a web forum and posts up about how unhelpful Holley was in accommodating his wishes.

The Hooker LS swap components are application specific by design and I don't see us officially promoting/supporting their use in one-off applications, since their no way to control the customer experience in such cases of use.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Ordered a set of mid length last week.

Tim
Glad to hear it Tim, what are you putting them in?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd was kind enough to do the same for me on a set of downpipes I was considering for a different application. They worked by the way and saved me the fab time.

Todd, thank you again for the extra effort on your part.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Advanced Design
Todd was kind enough to do the same for me on a set of downpipes I was considering for a different application. They worked by the way and saved me the fab time.

Todd, thank you again for the extra effort on your part.
No problem, I'll give you guys all the "semi-official" assistance I can.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Glad to hear it Tim, what are you putting them in?
Dads chevelle with a z bar. Looks like they will clear based on the pics. Will be here tomorrow

Tim
Old 04-27-2016, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Dads chevelle with a z bar. Looks like they will clear based on the pics. Will be here tomorrow

Tim
Let me know how it goes.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Let me know how it goes.
Will do not sure when I will get to them.

Tim
Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

They look great. Hope they clear the z bar

Tim
Old 04-28-2016, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

They look great. Hope they clear the z bar

Tim
Glad to hear you approve of their appearance. I hope they work for you also, good luck to you.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Has anyone tested these mounts with a t56 in the stock position, I know the tunnel needs to be cut out more, but I'm wondering how much room will the driveshaft have as it seems kind of tight in that area.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lawrenq
Has anyone tested these mounts with a t56 in the stock position, I know the tunnel needs to be cut out more, but I'm wondering how much room will the driveshaft have as it seems kind of tight in that area.
As you noted, the tunnel will have to be entirely cut-out/ rebuilt to install a T56 using the rear bias Hooker engine brackets. The good news is it won't affect your ability to run A 1350 yoke and up to a 3.5" diameter drive shaft.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 PM
Teching In

This update is for you oldstv...if you use the forward position engine brackets, you can bolt a 4L80 into the car at the same optimized inclination angle as any other transmission the Hooker components will support and you can use the stock crossmember as well as long as you use the crossmember spacers included with the Hooker engine bracket kit. Although you won't have to cut the floor open, you will need to have new body bushings installed in your car and you will probably have to dimple the floor slightly for clearance around the rear output speed sensor and the return cooler line fitting, unless you are using an early case 4L80 that has both cooler lines up front. This position also allows you to install the crossmember without having to partially pull the engine as others have had to do when using 1" set-back swap plates...it went right in like butter.
Im doing a swap with all Holley and Hooker parts. This is going into a 70 El Camino with a lq9/4l80e. I have the 1" forward mounts and im a little worried that my crossmember wont work with this tranny. My El camino has a fully boxed frame and the crossmember sits on the top of the frame rather then the bottom like a Chevelle. I would assume the stock crossmeber I have has the proper bends in it to place the trans at the proper height to compensate for the difference between the Chevelle and El camino frames. I mean it worked on the factory trans, should work with this one too right? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pugbug288
Im doing a swap with all Holley and Hooker parts. This is going into a 70 El Camino with a lq9/4l80e. I have the 1" forward mounts and im a little worried that my crossmember wont work with this tranny. My El camino has a fully boxed frame and the crossmember sits on the top of the frame rather then the bottom like a Chevelle. I would assume the stock crossmeber I have has the proper bends in it to place the trans at the proper height to compensate for the difference between the Chevelle and El camino frames. I mean it worked on the factory trans, should work with this one too right? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
You should be able to use your stock crossmember in the same manner I used the 2-door crossmember in the photo, which includes placing 3/8" thick spacers between the mounting feet of the crossmember and the frame.

Last edited by Toddoky; 05-01-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pugbug288
G-Force makes a 68-72 A-Body convertible/el camino crossmember for the 4L80e. Mine mounted up in the stock location, but a small area of my floor pan barely touches the upper most portion of the exhaust humps. The g-Force instructions say to massage it with a jack and 2 x 4 and I should be good.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Does the header have to be removed to drop or install the starter?

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview