Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 190 Likes on 152 Posts

Does anybody have a suggestion for a throttle cable for my LM7 equipped El Camino here? This is a drive-by-cable engine with the 75 mm throttle body and for now, I still have that tall VORTEC intake manifold.

Many thanks,

Rick
Old 02-25-2018, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968ls1
If you have been following this thread you have seen some pics of my GTO that Todd used for development of the 68-72 A-body LS system. To say the least my car was a little rough around the edges; well the crusty old girl has come a long way. After blasting the body it was determined that it would required replacement of both quarters, outer wheel houses, trunk floor and a mini tub to fit the 345/19 rear tires. The frame has been boxed with a FX kit from Hellwig, narrowed and plated in the rear and all the factory seams were ground and TIG welded. Suspension consists of Speedtech AFX spindles, SPC A-Arms, double adjustable Varishocks and Hellwig sway bar. The rear consist of a Currie 9" with their upper and lower control arms, coil over conversion, Hellwig rear bar and UMI braces. Brakes are C6 Z06 front and rear. For the interior, I am using BMW M3 convertible seats, Just Dashes/Autometer instrument cluster, Classic Air AC and power windows and locks. The remainder of the interior will be 1970 GTO. Paint should be completed by the end of March and then back home for final assembly.
I have said it before and I will say it again the Hooker Blackheart LS A-body conversion system made the LS swap easy, the parts are excellent quality and fit is perfect. I would highly recommend this this system to anyone considering this conversion.
I can't wait to drive the car up to LS Fest in September and hanging out with a bunch of gearheads! Here are a some pics of the progress.
968LS1 , you have one really nice project !!!!
question about the first picture, is this an OEM frame with some beefed up gusset you have ??
Old 02-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Frame

Yes OEM frame with Hellwig FX frame boxing kit, had to modified Holley/Hooker trans crossmember to attach to frame after it was installed.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Does anybody have a suggestion for a throttle cable for my LM7 equipped El Camino here? This is a drive-by-cable engine with the 75 mm throttle body and for now, I still have that tall VORTEC intake manifold.

Many thanks,

Rick
Lokar.
But this thread is about Hooker's exhaust, engine mounts and crossmembers, you'd probably have better luck starting a new thread.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

I ordered, the Hooker BlackHeart Transmission Cross member, last night and got a shipping confirmation this morning. Thanks Holley.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Yes OEM frame with Hellwig FX frame boxing kit, had to modified Holley/Hooker trans crossmember to attach to frame after it was installed.
Got any other pictures of the frame mods with hellwig and Holley crossmember. I have been holding back buying the crossmember because of these two together.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the only photo I have that shows the X-member. It was a pretty simple modification I just trimmed off the end of the X-member where it originally mounted inside the frame and welded on a plate so it could bolt on to the boxed frame. The FX kit is thick enough in that area like 1/4" so i just tapped a 7/16 hole and bolted it up.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview-img_1168.jpg  
Old 03-05-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was curious about that also. I have the black heart headers that fit great. And recent purchased the holley crossmember. That fits like a glove. The hellwig frame fx kit is on my wish list. Was a little worried I'd have to cut a hole in the fx kit to slip the crossmember in.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hello Toddoky,

For a 70 El Camino, what Hooker headers with oxygen sensor bungs do you recommend for best frame rail clearance and passage through the cross member area? Short, mid length or long? I have the Holley forward bias engine mounts and I'm using my stock Chevy cross member. I don't think I need stainless headers but I might go for the ceramic coated variety. The LM7 motor and 4L60E trans are in . . . need a set of headers relatively soon for a first engine start in the near future.

Many thanks,

Rick
Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

None of the Hooker Blackheart 68'-72' A-body headers will give you issues with getting your exhaust to clear your transmission crossmember. The long-tubes actually tuck up quite well and are the best way to go unless you trying to "lay frame" with your car. If you are building your car to have an ultra-low ride height, then the mid-length headers will lend themselves to assist you in achieving the maximum possible ground clearance with headers. Don't confuse the older Hooker 2289HKR headers with those in the Hooker Blackheart line, as they are a different animal altogether and are not specifically compatible with the Hooker 68'-7'2 A-body swap system.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm building a 72 cutlass 5.3/4l80/chinese turbo, and started down this journey before the kit was being developed.
Originally used the 302-2 oil pan, universal swap mounts, chevelle frame stands, and planned to fab the exhaust. To get the engine as far back as possible, and still have good driveline angles with a low car, I rebuilt the entire trans tunnel.
When the Holley turbo manifolds became available, I ordered a set (cant beat the price, and never having to worry about a weld cracking) Well the manifolds won't clear the RH adapter mount without hacking it to pieces.
Now I have the 4th gen mounts and holley brackets (Hooker Headers 71221007) that I have slid back in the chassis 1", and its time for a crossmember.

So after this long spiel, how far above the bottom of the frame rails, does the holley crossmember place the trans mount?

Last edited by Krom; 03-18-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hello Todd,

One other question about the Blackheart headers for an A-body - will they clear a stock GMC Sierra truck air conditioning compressor? As you may recall, this is well forward on the passenger side of the motor but it easily clears the frame rail.

The first of the month is always "Budget Replenishment Day" for me and I'm looking to purchase a set of these headers soon.

Many thanks,

Rick
Old 03-30-2018, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Krom
I'm building a 72 cutlass 5.3/4l80/chinese turbo, and started down this journey before the kit was being developed.
Originally used the 302-2 oil pan, universal swap mounts, chevelle frame stands, and planned to fab the exhaust. To get the engine as far back as possible, and still have good driveline angles with a low car, I rebuilt the entire trans tunnel.
When the Holley turbo manifolds became available, I ordered a set (cant beat the price, and never having to worry about a weld cracking) Well the manifolds won't clear the RH adapter mount without hacking it to pieces.
Now I have the 4th gen mounts and holley brackets (Hooker Headers 71221007) that I have slid back in the chassis 1", and its time for a crossmember.

So after this long spiel, how far above the bottom of the frame rails, does the holley crossmember place the trans mount?
Looks like I missed this one...the Hooker crossmember was designed in conjunction with the Hooker engine brackets to provide desirable U-joint working angles and secondary measurements such as the one you are asking about are not taken/recorded during the development process.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Hello Todd,

One other question about the Blackheart headers for an A-body - will they clear a stock GMC Sierra truck air conditioning compressor? As you may recall, this is well forward on the passenger side of the motor but it easily clears the frame rail.

The first of the month is always "Budget Replenishment Day" for me and I'm looking to purchase a set of these headers soon.

Many thanks,

Rick
Yeah, the headers will clear any A/C compressor set-up.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Hooker Blackheart headers got here today and I just dragged them in off the porch - they look good. With a little luck, I will have them installed by this time tomorrow night. Still need an LS engine harness and a fuel system . . .

Rick
Old 05-15-2018, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone know / think it would be possible to put the motor mounts in without pulling the engine? I'm fine with taking the exhaust out and I have to replace the trans crossmember anyway so moving things around a bit isn't an issue but I'd like to avoid yanking everything out of the car unless absolutely necessary.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Anyone know / think it would be possible to put the motor mounts in without pulling the engine? I'm fine with taking the exhaust out and I have to replace the trans crossmember anyway so moving things around a bit isn't an issue but I'd like to avoid yanking everything out of the car unless absolutely necessary.
I think you can sneak them in without removing the engine, although it might be a bit cumbersome installing/tightening all the fasteners.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to give it a shot, I got some new flexing tools as a gift (maybe gimmick, maybe they work, no clue) and see what happens. Was planning to throw new headers on as well but that would require new exhaust which might or might not clear my rear. I don't suppose Holley has a tester pipe set lying around in bowling green somewhere do they?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chuckd71
I'm going to give it a shot, I got some new flexing tools as a gift (maybe gimmick, maybe they work, no clue) and see what happens. Was planning to throw new headers on as well but that would require new exhaust which might or might not clear my rear. I don't suppose Holley has a tester pipe set lying around in bowling green somewhere do they?
No, we sure don't. We all like working in a very clean shop, so stuff that isn't used doesn't stay around long.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

When installing the convertible trans crossmember does the right side sit on top of or below the smaller side piece? The instructions say raise the member above the frame rail then insert the bracket, suggesting that the bracket is beneath the member. The two pictures however show the opposite. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Just as a side note, you can swap engine mounts with the engine in the car, but it sucks.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview