Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Where can I find a less than six inch size serpentine power steering pulley for my model year 2000 LM7 truck motor PS pump? I spoke with Ryan today at Lee Power Steering and they don't carry a pulley that size for that pump but they do have the adapter hose fittings for my original Saginaw power steering gear box. I'm trying to fit that LM7 engine into a 1970 El Camino using the Holley forward bias engine mounts and the 302-2 pan but no luck so far on finding a suitable pulley - using a 4L60E transmission. And I'm too much of a cheap tight wad to buy a complete new accessory drive unless absolutely necessary.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated but I will keep looking.

Rick
https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...uminum-pulleys
Old 01-11-2018, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The pulley you need is found on early 90's V6 F-body cars, S10 trucks and a few other GM vehicles. The part number escapes me at the moment but I can retrieve it from my files at work and post it.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 196 Likes on 157 Posts

Fabulous, really appreciate it. This saves me more money to buy stuff from Bowling Green. I'm originally from Owensboro.

Rick
Old 01-11-2018, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Where can I find a less than six inch size serpentine power steering pulley for my model year 2000 LM7 truck motor PS pump? I spoke with Ryan today at Lee Power Steering and they don't carry a pulley that size for that pump but they do have the adapter hose fittings for my original Saginaw power steering gear box. I'm trying to fit that LM7 engine into a 1970 El Camino using the Holley forward bias engine mounts and the 302-2 pan but no luck so far on finding a suitable pulley - using a 4L60E transmission. And I'm too much of a cheap tight wad to buy a complete new accessory drive unless absolutely necessary.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated but I will keep looking.

Rick
You can try to find a used s-10/camaro pulley part #14100597 or Dirty Dingo makes a billet aluminum pulley that is 5" in diameter for the truck pump.

I've got the Dirty Dingo on my 72 Chevelle Wagon 5.3/4l60e project conversion with the 302-2 and forward bias Holley engine mounts. Clearance is good at the power steering pump.
(I thought the accessory bracket I'm using was supposed to move the ps pump up to give additional clearance,but only moved the alternator, I ended up buying the dirty dingo pulley to get the clearance).
Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Some pontiacs / other GM two doors with the transversely mounted V6 (90's Sunbird and its ilk maybe) have them as well. I'm no expert, but going too small with the pulley sounds like it might spin the pump really fast, though I have no clue what the upper limit of acceptable is.
Edit - Corsica might work as well. I don't remember it being this much work but then again at the yard most motors are at least partially disassembled. www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2BOIdWvo4k[/url]
Old 01-12-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Some pontiacs / other GM two doors with the transversely mounted V6 (90's Sunbird and its ilk maybe) have them as well. I'm no expert, but going too small with the pulley sounds like it might spin the pump really fast, though I have no clue what the upper limit of acceptable is.
You are correct chuckd71, the smaller pulley does speed up the pump and is merely mentioned as a budget friendly work-around for those that are insistent on using the truck accessory drive set-up. The Corvette accessory drive configuration is by far the most adaptable accessory drive for use in A-body applications and allows the use of the full-diameter PS pump pulley.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I meant the Dirty Dingo 5 inch one mentioned might be on the smaller side. The one I was talking about might be as well, but I was thinking it was 5.5. Not a huge difference regardless I don't guess and likely not a big deal unless you're spinning your car to 7,000 every time you leave the house.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, the GM pulley is slightly over 5" at the actual measured belt wrap diameter (about 5.25") so it has a little bit better margin of safety than any pulley that measures 5" at the same point of reference. I picked up the GM pulley off of ebay for only 20 bucks, so that may factor in to someones choice to use it over another pulley as well.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

For those interested in knowing, the Hooker 1968-72 El Camino/Covertible transmission crossmember has been officially released and is listed on the Holley website. You can find it by performing a search for part number 71222021HKR.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Toddoky
For those interested in knowing, the Hooker 1968-72 El Camino/Covertible transmission crossmember has been officially released and is listed on the Holley website. You can find it by performing a search for part number 71222021HKR.
Is this lower then the stock mounting pad ?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

That is a good question, but I would doubt it, as the angle of the engine/tranny would have to stay the same as before; if the pad were lower this would not happen. I have a feeling this crossmember is only different so it would fit the El Camino/convertible frame.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
That is a good question, but I would doubt it, as the angle of the engine/tranny would have to stay the same as before; if the pad were lower this would not happen. I have a feeling this crossmember is only different so it would fit the El Camino/convertible frame.
Hey G when I used my stock crossmember it only had 2 deg. down on engine and trans . I was always told that I should be at 3 deg. down . I cut my stock crossmember and drop the pad 1/2" and got me to 2.6 deg. down .
Old 01-18-2018, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by 1973 STEP A SIDE
Hey G when I used my stock crossmember it only had 2 deg. down on engine and trans . I was always told that I should be at 3 deg. down . I cut my stock crossmember and drop the pad 1/2" and got me to 2.6 deg. down .
OK, but did your engine mounts lower the engine a bit compared to the original engine? If so that would explain why you only had 2 degrees.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The mounting pad on the stock crossmember is positioned for compatibility with a TH350, TH400 or stock manual trans, all of which have a different mount pad elevation than any of the modern GM or Tremec transmissions. The Hooker A-body transmission crosssmembers have a dual mount pad configuration for direct compatibility with T56 or 4L80 transmissions. Other transmissions require the use if a spacer block.

Last edited by Toddoky; 01-19-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

If he is trying to get more downward angle toward the rear then upward spacing doesn't sound like an issue. Being able to drop it lower seems to be his problem. I might be misreading things but I think what he needs is a lower mounting point; if the Hooker pad mount platform is the same height or higher than stock he's SOL. If it's lower (even too low) he could always space it up. At least that's my interpretation, which is similar to my own situation, but I could of course be mistaken.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuckd71
If he is trying to get more downward angle toward the rear then upward spacing doesn't sound like an issue. Being able to drop it lower seems to be his problem. I might be misreading things but I think what he needs is a lower mounting point; if the Hooker pad mount platform is the same height or higher than stock he's SOL. If it's lower (even too low) he could always space it up. At least that's my interpretation, which is similar to my own situation, but I could of course be mistaken.
This!!!!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, Thanks for the update
Old 01-19-2018, 11:02 AM
Launching!

The mounting pad on the stock crossmember is positioned for compatibility with a TH350, TH400 or stock manual trans, all of which have a different mount pad elevation than any of the modern GM or Tremec transmissions. The Hooker A-body transmission crosssmembers have a dual mount pad configuration for direct compatibility with T56 or 4L80 transmissions. Other transmissions require the use if a spacer block.
So can you explain to me the difference in pad elevation from the stock crossmember to the new crossmember for the boxed frame? When you designed these what kind of engine transmission angle of degree down where you shooting for?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1973 STEP A SIDE
So can you explain to me the difference in pad elevation from the stock crossmember to the new crossmember for the boxed frame? When you designed these what kind of engine transmission angle of degree down where you shooting for?
The mounting pad elevation of the Hooker El Camino/convertible crossmember is the same as the Hooker crossmember for the standard A-body cars. The engine/transmission angle targeted during development of the swap system components is that which provides desirable U-joint working angles on a vehicle which is set-up with stock to moderately lowered ride height (1" drop).

The typical U-joint working angles you'll see using the Hooker components is 2 to 2.5 degrees and that usually works out to be an engine inclination reference of about 3 degrees.

The absolute engine/transmission angle is only important as to how it affects your U-joint working angles and your focus on it should be prioritized in the same manner. That is because your chassis ride height and the pinion height of the rear end you are using will greatly affect the engine inclination angle you will have to run in order to achieve desirable U-joint working angles.

The engineered maximum recommended U-joint operating angle is 3 degrees, but that is heavily dependent on RPM(the faster you spin them the less angle they will tolerate). If you can obtain 2-2.5 degree U-joint operating angles that will be very workable in an A-body application.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Launching!

So I guess the simple question is do you know the pad elevation difference ? I went ahead and ordered one today so I guess I will see next week if I keep it or send it back .

Also I have a 9" ford in the Elco .

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview