Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016 | 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Subbed! Fun project. Keep it going!
Old 09-05-2016 | 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Man...this brings back memories...When I was 19 I got a brand spanking new, baby blue 1989 LX 5.0....I thought I was the fastest dude in town...good times.

Andrew
Old 09-09-2016 | 08:29 AM
Turbo Addict

Thanks guys.
Yea I remember when I first got a stock 87 GT, after driving a Toyota 4 banger pickup for years, I thought I was king of the streets lol.

so now to MM's point...all along I have been thinking Microsquirt for $390 and I'd add the external knock sense I already bought for $70.
Well after thinking about things and seeing I will be goofing off on the street a lot more than running at the track, including stuck in traffic and such, I should just buy once and cry once and step up to the Goldbox. This gives me the things I am concerned with plus mucho more (sequential injection, IAC, KR, methanol control, yada yada yada). I spoke with Efisource and they were very helpful and can make my harness "drop on" for the same price seeing as I have a hybrid; Ls2 but 24x with DBC, front cam sensor, etc.
so if I am increasing the budget to $1300, what's a few hundred more between friends for the MS3Pro if it's worth it?
ive searched and didnt come up too much that sways me either way.
FWIW, the car will most likely always be manual trans so I don't think I will ever need a trans controller and I doubt seriously I will ever be able to use half the features of either system as it is, but I just don't want any regrets if that makes sense ha.

what say you?
Old 09-24-2016 | 08:31 PM
Turbo Addict

I never liked the U shaped trans cross members due to the moment they put on the factory mounts. So I made this "complicated " version instead with scrap from work. Patent pending! Ha
if exhaust work becomes a pain, I'll change it to a M profile.

In other news, after much deliberation, 4 phone calls to Mike at EFI Source and a couple of emails, I made the plunge for a MS3 Goldbox. I ordered it around midnight on Monday with a follow up email asking for tweaks to my harness, Mike responded at 7:30am Tiesday morning to let me know he would make sure it was right and he shipped it out the same day at 2:30p. Delivered on Thursday and I installed it Friday night. Talk about exceptional customer service, Mike is on point!
Where's a gigantic EASY button when you need it, started up immediately and idles like a stock pcm thanks to their base tune.
I love the software. I was sweating the tps calibration and the like, but it is uber simple and intuitive.

Nearly three years in the making, I finally get to say IT'S ALIVE!!!
Old 09-28-2016 | 05:04 AM
Turbo Addict

Quick question guys, if I connect this green wire that originally went to my ford alternator to battery, my charging lamp comes on. Looking at the schematic below with the bulb and 500ohm resister in parallel...I should be able to connect this green wire to terminal B of my '00 Fbody alternator, so it will charge and my idiot light will work as designed in the event of alt failure....right?
Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo32.jpg
Old 09-28-2016 | 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

the engineer in me says that is the original purpose (to know when the alternator is on).

only thing i can see going wrong is if one of the signals on either car was conditioned differently out of the alt.
Old 09-28-2016 | 11:31 PM
Turbo Addict

I agree and I think I may just wait until one of those 12 beer deep nights to get enough courage up to try it....what could go wrong? lol
Old 09-29-2016 | 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why stop at 12 when you can buy 24 at a time and make sure the job is done properly?

Oh nevermind. 12 are for me to advise (from a distance).
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:03 AM
Turbo Addict

Of course, team work!
Old 11-15-2016 | 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

update??
Old 11-16-2016 | 11:23 AM
Turbo Addict

Oh right, forgot about this thread.
No turbo excitement yet but the car is on the road and has proven that I have been driving my Honda Civic too long...this car with a box stock Ls2 feels wicked fast, lol, which it's not.
I can say I love me some Tunerstudio and this Gold Box.
I'm waiting on senders for oil and water and have some wire tucking and painting to do, but otherwise it will look like this until I begin the turbo phase. The manual oil gauge is temporary.
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo322.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo158.jpg  
Old 11-16-2016 | 11:25 AM
Turbo Addict

Oh, found a piece of scrap from a machine at work, fit without modifying as a rad shroud, lol!
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo758.jpg  
Old 11-16-2016 | 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

looks great! ready for a catch can i think
Old 11-16-2016 | 12:08 PM
Turbo Addict

Definitely need one....know where I can find a quality setup? 😉😋
Old 11-18-2016 | 07:09 AM
Turbo Addict

Mounted my WB...this is plan B after my first location attempt failed miserably.

Who doesn't love stock inaccurate Fox gauges??!! Lol
I think making these work is part of this midlife crisis I am having, trying to relive the good old days.

PS anyone have a pair of 96-04 (8mm wider) mustang spindles for sale?
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo372.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo293.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016 | 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

I love this car.
Old 11-20-2016 | 07:46 PM
Turbo Addict

Lol thanks Jimbo, your check is in the mail!!

I was encouraged to check behind my throttle body after only ~150 miles...to my surprise I found this dirty mouth...hard to see but there is oil pooling in the intake and even on the back side of the throttle blade. I know for a fact this was bone dry when I put the engine in because I removed it and cleaned it thoroughly.
So how about we clean it up with the help of a MMS catch can. Too bad the rest of the car doesn't look this professionally done ha

Who would have thought that a correctly functioning PCV would improve a SD setup, lol, doh! Car runs so much better especially in the low RPM transitions, and I'm honestly anxiously waiting for my catch can to fill up 👍😋
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo820.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo304.jpg  
Old 11-21-2016 | 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

man show of that license plate

most also report after installing the MMS catch can their grey hairs color and improved sexual stamina
Old 11-21-2016 | 09:27 AM
Turbo Addict

The man speaks the truth. I'm going to get a few more cans to put in the car for those reasons alone.

Oh yea, plates. Due to being antique, I couldn't get the extra character space in the middle I used to have but this is still helping to satisfy my almost midlife crisis.
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo114.jpg  
Old 11-27-2016 | 07:01 PM
Turbo Addict

Did a little playing around today and WOT tuning, 75 miles max but hard miles indeed.
Decided to drain the MMS catch can...wow, quite impressive to say the least.

PS intercooler has been ordered...treadstone is having a 25% off sale, check it out!
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-photo568.jpg  

Quick Reply: Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"