Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
You can see right in the pictures that he used a tubular k member. So that answers your question.

I have swapped a 5.3 into a fox using a stock 96 4.6L K member and stock 4.6L motor mounts. Two of the bolts line up for the 4.6 mount, the 3rd bolt you can make an adapter plate for so you can just bolt it up to the motor easy peasey

I saw the aftermarket k mem! I know you can do the 4.6 no prob but I’ve been researching the 5.0 k member and people are saying the stock 87 5.0 k member sits differently than a stock 4.6 k member! Can’t believe everything on the web! Just making sure before I buy 4.6 mounts for my 5.0 k member! Thanks for replying!!
Old 09-01-2019, 05:38 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response Maroon. Hunter, I am not sure on the 4.6 vs 5.0 K-member fitment differences but I will say the Ls fits in the mustangs as good as if not better than the 5.0, and the 4.6 is physically larger. So it should all work out, worst case is you have to make custom mounts to sit the engine where you want it.

So here's an update, hopefully I can post pics in the right order so it all makes sense.

My BFF was nice enough to proof out some ET Street R's by running an 8 sec pass before gifting them to me. I needed wheels and wasn't committed enough to drop a lot of coin on something nice so I went with the Jegs cast wheels.

Prepare yourself for a massive snowball/avalanche.....I also got some skinnies for the front, but since they were 15" and I am running cobra rotors/brakes, I had to switch back to the stock stuff. The car sat too low in the front and my bump steer was horrendous. So I had to get some coil-overs and a bump-steer kit.
So after getting a nice bonus from work and having a few beers to celebrate, I decided that since I have to run coil-overs, I have more room for turbo piping. My TTD (Tiny Turbine Disorder) was in full swing, so I did what anyone would do, buy a billet VSR 80mm turbo with an above average turbine.

Here it is compared to my TC78.

It would actually fit where I wanted it with a 4" DP, but would require a complete hotside and coldside rework as well as a scavenge pump as it sits too low.

I decided since I had some more money to burn and my TTD would calm down if I just went with an average sized turbine, plus John at HS gave me a hook up on a billet 78/75....so I bought that.
78/75 versus VSR 80mm

This would fit my current hotside as is, it would have fit my coldside as well but I needed a good reason to upsize from 2.5" to 3", mainly because it just looked goofy.

Some paint on it to hide my crappy welds and ensuring my MMS catch can still fits.

Because of this larger turbine, my cheap summit turbo mufflers were obviously going to hold me back also the mufflers were dumped under the car and because I didn't want to poison my kids when they ride in the back, I just ran straight 3.5" all of the way to the back. I didn't want it to look goofy so hid it the best I could.

The car runs awesome, still tuning on it though. My wife asked me to put a cage in it before I raced it...and if I am going to take the time to put a cage in, it's going to last me for awhile...so I went with a 10pt weld-in. Haven't started that as I just want to drive the stupid thing for awhile. I will save that for this winter.
The following users liked this post:
MIGHTYMOUSE (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 05:43 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another fun fact for those of you with limited time, no lift and a truck ('07 4WD SilveRAYdo) that loses oil pressure in the driveway. With the help of welding wire, string, hemostats and ALOT of praying to God, I was able to put in a new oil pump and oil pump O-ring without dropping the pan or any of the 4WD stuff. If I have to do this again, I may just sell the truck lol.

Quick Reply: Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"