Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build. I did a 5.3 swap into a CJ7, it looks a lot easier with no CARB to deal with. Gauges look great.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Stomperxj, the gauges are mounted into a Autometer #5831. I think I bought it through summit or jegs. (Yes! Made of plasticus eternicus!) The gauges are speedhut, obd2, freedom model. You can select colors, background and add images from their site.
My latest engineering issue is related to the fuel pump/sender and connection to the holley hydramat. I really need the hydramat for this rig, due to the rock crawling aspect. The stumbling block is how to connect it to a fuel pump. My in tank module also carry's the fuel level sender. So I was looking at replacing the pump only, with an aeromotive 11542. However, the pickup port is designed for the filter sock to clip over it. Not enough "nipple" to clamp a hose to, which then goes to the hydramat. Running an external pump is not one of my options. I looked at a holley retrofit pump, designed to connect to the hydramat (in fact comes with a small one) but, it has no fuel level sender. With my gauges, I can adjust to any sender format by pushing the button on it's face. I'll be posting a request for help in the fuel section of the forum.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did a 5.3/4L60E swap into my 04 TJ a few years ago. I know there was a split in 03 as far a TJ's went. In the 04 I used the stock tank/bucket/regulator assembly, just swapped out the stock pump for a walbro 190. The stock fuel reg put out 45psi and it was no problem to tune the motor to run. It has worked great in all sorts of conditions. That being said, it is a very small outlet on that reg and the extra 100hp a LS3 will make may max it out. I dont see why you are using a hyro-mat if you use some sort of fuel bucket?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TJ/LS3
Stomperxj, the gauges are mounted into a Autometer #5831. I think I bought it through summit or jegs. (Yes! Made of plasticus eternicus!) The gauges are speedhut, obd2, freedom model. You can select colors, background and add images from their site.
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

A fuel bucket is one answer. I am trying to stay uncluttered as much as possible. A fuel bucket requires me to find room to mount it, more fitting/hose runs and wiring. If I can get an in tank solution that is "passive", unseen and works....that would be best. I saw a Fi Tech tank and still cannot find where to mount it. My TJ is not the longer wheel based Unlimited model. Real estate for mounting items is small and everything needs to be thought out. I am needing to mount coolant recovery tank (likely to radiator), w/s washer tank, evap canister, horns, elec fan module, ecm, routing for trans & p/s coolers, pdc and viair compressor. Pretty sure I'm missing something. Oh, relay for winch. Looking like the answer is using holleys retro pump and clamping my sending unit onto it. I would still need to buy the right size hydramat. It's more $ than I planned on spending, however unlike a fuel bucket there are no plumbing, wiring or space issues to contend with. Thanks for the idea. It would be more cost effective if this were a street car!

Last edited by TJ/LS3; 10-12-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

What i am saying is that the stock 03+ TJ tanks have fuel buckets in the tank. And should bolt into the older TJ's. You may have to change the regulator setup as it may be too small for a LS3.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I posted a quick and dirty answer under the hydramat post I did earlier. The in tank fuel bucket idea is great...if I had a stock tank. Mine is a genright tank that gives me extra clearance for my 9 inch rear end. I called holley and found out that they make one model of hydramat with an adjustable connector. It is the 16-111 and is 3x15 inches. The area between the baffles in my tank is 11x18. This will fit just fine! So the plan is to modify my current fuel module to accept the pump. This brings up another dilemma! Someone told me that a 340 lph pump is too much pressure for the corvette fpr. I will need to look into that possibility now. We have had heavy rains lately so I don't have the desire to mess with the fuel tank until it calms down. Thanks for the fuel bucket idea! I may recommend it to others as it sounds budget friendly!
Old 10-14-2016, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I see, I missed the part about the GenRite tank, sorry for the confusion. On another note, I have run the Walbro 450 on the vett Filter/Regulator and have not had any problems.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Floader- Nice to hear about the corvette fpr being able to handle the pressure.
Cjjohn- Thanks! I can't remember what color lighting they have. I think a bluish color.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

It's volume not pressure that you have to worry about. So long as the pump doesn't overrun the regulator's ability to bypass it should be fine. Pay attention to fittings and hose on the return side.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Test fit my engine harness/ecm tonight.... Another set back, but easily solved. The plug for the 6L80E trans is a foot too short, as are all 4 O2 sensors. The LS3 engine has one plug per bank for the injectors. The harness has individual plugs that do not fit my injectors. So my plan is to measure everything so there are no more delays. It was looking like everything was 6-12 inches too short.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

BLKMGK- I am planning on using either the original steel fuel line still mounted on the jeep or AN hose. The steel line is the feed for the old 4.0 and is 3/8 inch. If I use AN, my thought was to use -6. As I map out the fuel system, I am wanting to keep it as "straight" and unfettered as possible. I'll post a rough sketch and maybe you guys can make sure I have it right. On the return line I will need to use a 90 degree bulkhead fitting to go into the tank. Once inside, aluminum tube, mounted to the pump module that will feed to around an inch from the pickup fitting of the hydramat. The one inch idea is from holley's recommendations. I did get my harness squared away, thanks to Justin from Speartech! Also got the correct oil pressure sensor installed.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Similar project goals here,,

How was your rear drive line length and angle? I am planning a LQ9/6l80 transplant...

Thanks!
Dave
Old 10-20-2016, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

pdxmotorhead- Hey! I just got the engine/trans mounted, so no measurements on drivelines until the mounts and t/c are installed. This will need new ones for sure. I'd love to see what you are up to, so post some pic's. What stage are you at? Have you selected motor mounts, t/c, etc? One thing I can tell you. Consider what you want as far as a/c. The stock config puts the pump at the lower pass side of the engine. It won't fir in tj's unless you want to cut/weld and indentation into the frame. There are kits out there that relocate the pump and would be better than cutting up your stuff. Some guys dx the a/c altogether. I kept mine. It does help defrost the windshield quicker because it cycles the air through the dryer/receiver. Have a good one! RJ
Old 10-20-2016, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

Installed my cooler fittings to the 6L80. They are a -6 AN size. I left the hose barb fitting on it while doing the engine install. This part is from speartech.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

I have a 94 YJ, I've been shopping pullout packages up here in Oregon and the Lq9 or similar with the 6L80 trans attached look like a lot of bang for the buck. The only bit I haven't found a really good reference on is that how ugly is the length of the 6L80 as far as rear drive-line length. I'm going to use a NP231 behind the package with a SYE kit. I have 4" of suspension/1" of body lift and a Metalcloak body armor and fender kit

I figure if I'm going to get < 18MPG I may as well have 400 instead of 100 HP... LOL The 4cyl is just not dragging the beast around very well with all the body and winch tires, bumper weight etc,,,, added even though the high fender kit has way less drag at highway speed.

I do have factory AC (Dealer installed) so I'll have to work the details out on that!

Cheers
Dave
Old 10-25-2016, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Novak sells their engine/trans combinations and say to use the 231 t/c with a sye (slip yoke eliminator). So, it must fit ok. My 6L80E is around 26 inches long including the adapter to the t/c. I am wondering...on the YJ models you may be able to use the stock ls/vortec a/c location due to the frame being wider. The TJ's have a frame that swoops inward to clear the coil spring suspension. If I recall, the YJ does not. If so, that is a bonus for you in the exhaust and a/c issues!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

That was my plan, Novac adapter and SYE, I'm fabbing the tranny mount
The steering column is going to be the biggest pain I'm thinking.. The YJ has it higher than the TJ I think..

I have the radiator out right now and the amount of front space is pretty amazing.. The metal cloak body armor does narrow the engine bay about an inch on each side but the room is still there..
Old 10-26-2016, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Pdxmotorhead- When you buy the mounts, they usually address the steering issue with another bracket or kit to mount the steering pad. I'm installing the poison spyder steel defenders. They have a little wider coverage to keep johnny law happy! I am now working on the fuel pump issue. Got everything out and ready to mod. Someone was asking about how I was going to fit the "E-rod" catalytic convertors...I won't! In talking with our state emissions folks, as long as I maintain at least what is supplied on my '97 it's ok. So no need for the pre-cat/cat setup from the e-rod. Need to keep the front/rear O2 sensors, fuel vapor return lines, etc. The sad part is that because it's a visual inspection as well, I need to run the manifolds and not headers. If my headers had the California compliant sticker I'd be golden!
Old 10-28-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet build! What are your plans for shifting the 6L80 into the lower gears?

Quick Reply: Jeep swap