Sponsored by:

Blown LQ4 Wrangler Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown LQ4 Wrangler Swap

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this site and pretty new to LS engines to be quite honest. However, I am pretty mechanically inclined and learn fast. I've done a ton of work to my cummins and 2005 Wrangler, but now its time to start thinking about a motor swap to make the Jeep complete. I was first set on the idea of swapping in a 4BT since I know cummins engines pretty well, they are reliable, and easily modified to make a bunch of part breaking power. I went a bought a 4BT and it has been sitting in my shop for the past 8 months, over this time I have come to the realization that I love the torque and power that the diesel provides but I don't want the noise, stink, or rattle in my Jeep. That being said I started looking into LS swaps and it seems that the 04+ LQ4 would be the best fit for me since I have no need for an aluminum block. My questions are as follows:

I currently have 2 blowers sitting in my shop so why not stick one on the motor going in the Jeep right? I have an eaton M112 off of a 04 cobra and a VMP TVS 2.3 which one would be better suited for what I am doing? I assume the 112 will make power a hair quicker but the 2.3 will make more power overall?

My plans are to make a good amount of power while still being reliable. I don't want to get crazy with it, its still just a Jeep for christ sakes. But I do want to make a good bit of low end power. What is the best way to go about this on a LQ4? If I use a blower what supporting mods will be necessary? what injectors, cam, heads, etc?

What price range should I expect to be spending on an engine build like this?

What HP range should I expect/shoot for?

Any other input is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!
Old 01-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Here is a picture of the Jeep. All set up and ready for a good power plant. 40" tires, 106" wheelbase, Dana 60s front and rear, 4.3 Atlas, and ORI struts

Name:  BD58134A-7601-4912-A30B-DE6F94D88500.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  155.0 KB
Old 01-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Bump. Really no suggestions from anyone?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Hope you post the engine swap and build. I would expect 500-550 hp depending on how you build it.

If you have any questions on the motor swap I have a 2004 LJ with a LQ4/4L60E/Atlas 4 speed.

I plan on swapping in a cam for more HP but no blower for me...............for now.

Here is a picture of a trip up to Canada this past summer.
Attached Thumbnails Blown LQ4 Wrangler Swap-11221426_10153379500705340_7919913938334541989_o.jpg  
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-X-P
Hope you post the engine swap and build. I would expect 500-550 hp depending on how you build it.

If you have any questions on the motor swap I have a 2004 LJ with a LQ4/4L60E/Atlas 4 speed.

I plan on swapping in a cam for more HP but no blower for me...............for now.

Here is a picture of a trip up to Canada this past summer.
Thanks!! I am sure that I will have a lot of questions to ask you during the swap.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Teching In

I am in the final stages of a MP112 on a 5.3 in a 89 wrangler converted into a CJ. I wanted to start off with a LQ4 but ended up with a run of the mill 5.3. I used a c5 z06 cam which is said to be a good blower cam. I also decked my heads a little to bump the compression. It was tough to find the room fit a small inter cooler up front but it can be done. I am shooting for 500 hp with meth. My plan was to have it on the dyno by now but the first full throttle pass ate the transmission. Underneath it you will run out of real estate real quick. The short wheelbase with two driveshafts and a transfer case dose not leave much room to work with.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

I'm really looking forward to this build as well.

I've got an 06 LJR that I swapped what started as an lq4/4l80.

Had the motor bored to 6.2, forged internals z06 cam, PRC heads and a fast lsxrt intake.

I'm really wanting to replace the fast with a tvs2300 but am still looking at how I could actually fit it. I'm running factory ac and a large plate transmission cooiler upfront so I'd have to make some serious room for an intercooler.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrostocki
I am in the final stages of a MP112 on a 5.3 in a 89 wrangler converted into a CJ. I wanted to start off with a LQ4 but ended up with a run of the mill 5.3. I used a c5 z06 cam which is said to be a good blower cam. I also decked my heads a little to bump the compression. It was tough to find the room fit a small inter cooler up front but it can be done. I am shooting for 500 hp with meth. My plan was to have it on the dyno by now but the first full throttle pass ate the transmission. Underneath it you will run out of real estate real quick. The short wheelbase with two driveshafts and a transfer case dose not leave much room to work with.
Thanks for the response. Do you have any pictures or a build thread I could look at? Curious where you mounted the blower.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Punisher8738
I'm really looking forward to this build as well.

I've got an 06 LJR that I swapped what started as an lq4/4l80.

Had the motor bored to 6.2, forged internals z06 cam, PRC heads and a fast lsxrt intake.

I'm really wanting to replace the fast with a tvs2300 but am still looking at how I could actually fit it. I'm running factory ac and a large plate transmission cooiler upfront so I'd have to make some serious room for an intercooler.
Yea it is going to be tricky trying to get it all to fit in such a small space. I am going to try to run an air-air intercooler up in front of the radiator, hopefully K will have room for an AC condensor too. I will probably be going with an NV4500 so no trans cooler for me. Another option would be an air-water intercooler but IDK if there is enough height under the hood for that.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO
Yea it is going to be tricky trying to get it all to fit in such a small space. I am going to try to run an air-air intercooler up in front of the radiator, hopefully K will have room for an AC condensor too. I will probably be going with an NV4500 so no trans cooler for me. Another option would be an air-water intercooler but IDK if there is enough height under the hood for that.
The speed shop who did some work on mine suggested a meth injection kit. Just not wanting to add an additional system to run.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Punisher8738
The speed shop who did some work on mine suggested a meth injection kit. Just not wanting to add an additional system to run.
Luckily I have a meth kit laying around but is it really neccessary? IATs shouldnt be that bad with the right intercooler.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Teching In

So I ended up picking up a LQ9 out of a 2005 Escalade, which I know is not as ideal for boost. I will be happy with anything north of 400HP to the wheels. I have a few questions,

What is a safe boost level for the LQ9 with a stock long block? would 10lbs or less be safe?

should I run a 2.3L or 1.8L Blower?

Which heads would be best for this setup? L92 heads? or are the factory heads better for boost due to the larger combustion chambers/ lower compression?

which Cam should I run? LS6?

Last edited by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO; 04-13-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If your willing to change cam and heads you can do 500 hp no prob n/a. I deff think blower would be cool though (open jeep supercharger screaming! ) otherwise just bolt blower on low boost and enjoy 550 easy hp (that's what most "kits" advertise for an lq9 escalade)
Old 04-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slocaddy
If your willing to change cam and heads you can do 500 hp no prob n/a. I deff think blower would be cool though (open jeep supercharger screaming! ) otherwise just bolt blower on low boost and enjoy 550 easy hp (that's what most "kits" advertise for an lq9 escalade)
So the stock heads will work just fine? Or would I notice a big difference with the L92s?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

You will want to use the bigger blower, it will produce more power at lower rpms than the smaller blower. If I were you, I would stick with cathedral port heads for a Jeep like yours. Capitalize on the early torque production associated with the cathedral ports. Rectangle ports can be lazy down low, and you really want as much grunt/torque as early as possible in an offroad vehicle such as that. Get a custom cam from Martin Smallwood and run the bigger blower with the biggest headers/exhaust you can fit.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO
So the stock heads will work just fine? Or would I notice a big difference with the L92s?
Yep, stock heads would be just fine.

Quick Reply: Blown LQ4 Wrangler Swap