Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GMC c10 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 GMC c10 build

Plan on swapping a 5.3 and a 4l60 into this 66 long bed. Been sitting for about 20years. Blown up 305 v6.
Would like to keep the swap under 2k. So far I have a line on a few things,

Running engine, complete uncut wiring, Ecu, and accessories except starter :$400
Reputable local shop to do the harness, and flash computer, and delete vats and secondary 02 sensors :$400

So I still need to figure out fuel system, think Walbro inline, with corvette filter.
Also need to figure out throttle able once it's installed, and shift cable.
Will also need a drive shaft.

Also need to find a used 4l60. Cheap. I can rebuild if worst case senario to keep costs low.
Will build my own motor mounts, using the factory engine mounts. Trans mount should be simple.
Radiator will be another issue to resolve. I'm sure the one in the truck is junk.
Need to get a small trans cooler. May have one laying around at work.

Tried searching for other 60-66 trucks Ls swapped, not many documented well. Lots of 67- late model c10's. Not sure how much the frames differ. Will be exciting. Hopefully get it done and driving within a weeks time when I start. Not sure how much time I'll have at the shop. So it will be priority when it gets going.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 PM
DKO
Teching In

post some pics of your truck. I'm sure several people have done this swap on here before.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i daily a swapped '66 chevy lwb. very similar to your planned build. I did a return fuel system with a spectra tank for a '69 camaro under the bed. I used fragola -6 AN fittings and a bosch pump.

Cheap ebay block adapters and stock v8 frame stands and motor mounts it sits about 1" off the firewall. Pacesetter longtubes for a trailblazer SS fit with trimming the frame rails about 1/4 " on the drivers side.

I would really consider a 4l80e. It's my biggest regret-not going to an 80e when I first did the swap. I'm on my second 4l60e in 3 years. I don't think I'm exceptionally hard on them either. No drag strip trips or sticky tires.

If you have questions, hit me up.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you really want to cheap out,grab a TH350 or TH400,unless you are planning on doing a lot of highway cruising just skip the O/D and the expense of rebuilding a fragile 4L60E. For a cheap fuel system,grab the rear monted tank and sender assy from a mid-2000ish S10 Blazer,pretty easy to re-purpose the lines and fittings. Ebay aluminum radiator or grab a used one from the local oval track guys,nothing wrong with truck intake,front accessories and exhaust manifolds.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Why can I not post on here?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Teching In

This damn site will not let me post anything with a picture. Says a mod has to approve it? Kinda bullshit is that? I've tried posting with pictures for a few days.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Anyways, called Jim @ jimsperformance. He is going to do my harness with a small fuse lock/relay center. Seems like a damn nice guy over the phone! Had a buddy refer him. So he's @ 300 for the stand alone harness, and $200 for the computer mods.

Finding a 2wd trans is hard!! Found a 4l60 at a local j/y w/ 175k for $900.
The other j/y has a 4l60 with 160k for $500, and a 4l80 with 680k miles. Yes 680,000 miles. Out of a deliver box van. They say it's been replaced, but not sure when, they go off the odometer.
I think I'm going to get the 80E. new filter and clean fluid and run it. I can rebuild it if needed, but I'm bone stock 5.3. I even plan on running a factory air box, with a factory coolant tank out of an 02 Tahoe.

This weekend does not look promising for going to get the truck, and the engine. Hopefully, but probably not till next weekend.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

are you using the attachments thing? i never got that to work so i use the "insert image" function. its the little picture of a mountain next to the globe
Old 02-19-2016, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your best bet for posting pics is to upload them to a host such as photobucket and just attach the link to your post.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might need to get your post count up before it will allow pics.

Sounds like a nice project. Will be interesting to see if you stay under $2K
Old 02-19-2016, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

A big chunk of my swap was spent on fuel and trans cooler lines. if you can make the OEM connectors work you'd be many bucks ahead. I also swapped the tank out of the cab. I just couldn't see a way to vent it properly which is a must.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by truckdoug
A big chunk of my swap was spent on fuel and trans cooler lines. if you can make the OEM connectors work you'd be many bucks ahead. I also swapped the tank out of the cab. I just couldn't see a way to vent it properly which is a must.
Trans cooler lines are figured out. I'm a GM dealer tech. Replaced a set of trans cooler lines the other day. I cut the flared ends off. And I will put a bubble flare on the end of them, and clamp hydraulic hose to them, and link to the radiator.
I'd like to use a rad out of a k body, but have to get the 65 first and take some measurements. Until I get the truck and the motor, there's not much I can do. Just day dream I guess. Lol

As far as fuel line, I will be running steel fuel lines, with an inline Walbro pump, and a corvette filter. I have a large assortment of replacement ends, for both steel line, and the plastic line. So it will be all factory connections at the fuel rail.

My biggest worry is still the wiring lol. I hate wiring.
Another issue is the shifter. I may spend a bit of money and get the lokar floor shift unit.

The budget on this truck is not 2k. It's 3k. But that budget includes the cost of the truck which is $500.

Wheels and tires are not part of that budget, as I am getting them tonight. I am getting rid of my beloved Datsun 521 truck. It's been in storage for a few years now, and I know I will never get back to it. Someone else can. Anyways, he's trading my truck for a NICE set of 18" Titan aluminum wheels, and a decent set of nitto nt05's.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Your best bet for posting pics is to upload them to a host such as photobucket and just attach the link to your post.
Hoping it's just post count issue. I'll maybe go on a few posts and rag on people. We'll see. Haha
Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

i hate wiring too and it really aint that bad, the tutorial lt1swap.com is pretty much everything you need.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Haha I'm actually having the harness built from someone else. A guy on Facebook offered to do it, and I also spoke with jims @ jims perf. I have started hearing mixed reviews on jims Ecu settings. So as of now, I'm am unsure of who to do it.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

well if it's not cammed or anything i think nearly stock tune would be best. you're keeping the MAF and the primary O2's for closed loop fueling?
Old 02-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by truckdoug
well if it's not cammed or anything i think nearly stock tune would be best. you're keeping the MAF and the primary O2's for closed loop fueling?
Ya as of now stock cam, Maf, and upstream 02's. I may run cats if I can fit them. Would like to keep noise down best I can. They get raspy with out them sometimes.
The only thing I plan on doing right off the bat is a stall converter. Around 3k.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Old 02-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Must have been a post count issue. Pics worked now. That's the only one I have as of now. Next weekend looks promising to go get it. Lots going on this weekend. family activities. Gun show, ice fishing tourney, stupid crafts show. Good times. Anyways, dad said he'd ride with next weekend. It's going to be about 10 hours round trip not including stopping to load truck, or engine, or fueling, washing the new truck of all the grime and **** from past 15-20 years. Or eating. That's a must.
Guys came and got the datsun last night. 18" titans and full set of drag radials. Those will go on the truck. Wil need different tires. These are a 275/35/18. Too short. But I'll run them to work out all the bugs and make sure everything is sound before dropping another 800-1000 on tires.
There's been quite a bit of auto-x events starting to happen around here within the last few years. So I may give a few runs at a Local event this summer. I went for a ride along with a good friend in his lotus last year. Kinda gave me the bug to build something to take out and have fun/compete with. Time will tell.
Thread will probAbly be dead till next Saturday unless something happens before.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Well there's most of a parts list I have been coming up with. No part numbers, or where purchasing from. I don't know if that's frowned upon here or not, so I left it out to keep peace. If it's allowed, I'll post part numbers and pictures when they show up.

Decided upon getting a fuel cell. The OG tank is in cab, and has 20 year old fuel in it. I don't wanna chance it. And also don't want fumes in the cab. Inline fuel pump Ls swap kit. Has a filter with a return. Also has fittings, and mounts.

Also have no idea what it's going to cost for a drive shaft. Any ideas?ive never had one made. I want it done once, and right.
Also decided on a 4l60. Can get a much better deal one one. And I can build it up if need be at a later date. Right now we will be stock. Possible turbo at a later date. For now it's priority just to get moving.
Any advice on where I can save money, where I should spend more, or what I should do differently, I want to hear it all.

Quick Reply: 66 GMC c10 build