Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS 5.3 in a 57 Chevy Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 5.3 in a 57 Chevy Truck

Looking to swap a 5.3 into my 57 Chevy 3200 truck. I don't have the skillset to put the truck on a different frame or install/weld a new front clip. I would like to keep this project on a budget so looking to keep the solid front axle (or perhaps install a drop axle if it is possible). Has anyone done a swap like this? When I do my searches for any info, most of my results that come across are those that have put in a new clip or different frame. Is there anything that I need to be on the lookout for if going this route (solid axle)? Oh, I also plan on installing my 700r4 that is my 69 camaro to the 5.3. Any info would be most appreciated.

Regarding my 69 Camaro, I'm building an LS 383 with a T-56 tranny...but that's a different thread .

Thx,
Ariel
Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 59 that will be receiving a 6 liter and camaro clip , at minimum Id do disc brakes , seriously I cant see driving the 59 without serious suspension ,steering and brake up grades , before quadrupling its acceleration ability , that's a recipe for disaster

This link will take you to 67-72c10 forum , lots of guys with all year chevy trucks , and ls swaps
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206
Old 03-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on going with Discs all around as well as upgrading steering components. Since I'm now going automatic, I'll have to replace the steering column as well. My main concern is what it will take to get the 5.3 to properly fit in there with solid axle. I've come across some motor mounts (with cross bar) that replace the current mounts to put in an LS engine but does it work well? In time I plan to have someone put this truck on a newer frame or different clip but I just want to get this project on the road. It's just going to be a leasure driver. No plans on taking it to the drag strip or autocross .
Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ari69
I plan on going with Discs all around as well as upgrading steering components. Since I'm now going automatic, I'll have to replace the steering column as well. My main concern is what it will take to get the 5.3 to properly fit in there with solid axle. I've come across some motor mounts (with cross bar) that replace the current mounts to put in an LS engine but does it work well? In time I plan to have someone put this truck on a newer frame or different clip but I just want to get this project on the road. It's just going to be a leasure driver. No plans on taking it to the drag strip or autocross .
That's what we all say and then the madness takes over.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think, it you don't lower it, you'll fit it in fine.

In my '51 Ford, The engine, except crank pulley is behind the front (IFS) crossmember.

You could always modify the firewall and bring it in to the cab a bit more, but that is trading some welding for other.

Also, for some, the Ford Crown Victoria front subframe bolts in (at least to the Ford chassis). It might be worth exploring that option. Kind of a mishmash of parts, but who cares.

I have a GM driveline (and 4 wheel discs - GM metric calipers) in my Ford.

Doug
Doug

Quick Reply: LS 5.3 in a 57 Chevy Truck