Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Scratch That Itch" ~ CA Swap Opinions, Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Scratch That Itch" ~ CA Swap Opinions, Please

I realize that I haven't posted in a LONG TIME; but, I AM serious. At 51, I am looking for something to tinker on. Already did a beautiful LS Swapped 240Z. I have had an L92/LS3 Scoggin-Dickey short block IN CRATE for years, waiting to go in to something. I'm itching ....

My post is for [serious] opinions, please. I'm in southern CA, so doing a legit swap is already a PITA. This time, I want modern tech in the base car, like ABS, Airbags, etc. So .... I'm giving serious thought to FD RX7s, E36 M3, or Porsche 944T. I also like pissing off purists, even at my old age.

The kits are easily sourced for the drivetrain swap. But, the toughest question that I bring to you is: which of those three platforms is the EASIEST to execute, with regard to BAR in CA, DMV, .... ?

PLEASE ... I'm serious here, so I'm asking for there to be an absence of smartass replies. Please.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your question has nothing to do with the vehicle you are putting it in. It has to do with the year of the vehicle and the motor. The motor is supposed to have all the emissions that came with the motor and year of the vehicle it came out of. You are not supposed to put in a motor that is older than the vehicle. This is for emission controlled vehicles so pre 70's or whatever are exempt. Take a look at Jags That Run they have a lot of good info on how to make a car pass the BAR like how approach the board and say it is a engine change instead of a swap, etc.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some help for you:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...e-swap.221144/

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...questions.html
Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 186 Likes on 123 Posts

I've owned/driven around 15 Lsx FDs and 1 fully sorted 440ci Lsx e36 m3. The FD handles better and is about 300lbs+ lighter. The M3 is more comfortable and drives smoother. The m3 had 285/30/18 at all corners and 14" front stop tech brakes, Vorschlag $4k suspension, and Holley HP ecu with working a/c.

There is a very nice FD swapped already on Norotors.com in NorCal for $22k. I have personally seen it and you can't build one cheaper.

Porsche 944 would be fun also; however parts are going to be more expensive.

Quick Reply: "Scratch That Itch" ~ CA Swap Opinions, Please