Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sbc clamshell question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sbc clamshell question

Hey guys I'm finally to the point to where I'm trying to install my 5.3 into my 78 el camino and I'm faced with an issue.

After trying to install my engine and trans twice it won't go in (brand new energy suspension rubbers). I can get one mount to line up but then the other hits the top notch and won't go past it.

So my question is in two pictures. The first is how I have it set up the second is how I'm wondering if it should be

Assuming its supposed to be this way

Wondering if i need to flip them like this, obviously the clamshell is upside down. Just use this as a reference lol
Old 08-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The orientation of the bracket on the mount is correct in your first photo and won't be installable as shown in your second photo. The orientation of the end tabs of the Energy Suspension inserts deviates from the layout of the tabs on stock replacement mounts, which are straight up and down as apposed to being leaned over like they are on the Energy Suspension inserts. The desrepancy in the geometry causes some users to experience installation issues. I assume you are also using the mounts with adapter plates, which can cause the distance between the holes for the two long horizontal tie bolts to deviate from the stock designed dimension as used on small block Chevy installations, depending on how the holes in the swap plates are configured.

Last edited by user 4737373; 08-04-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Teching In

You are correct, I'm using the adapter plates from a company not to far from me in Topeka ictbillet. They are an adjustable style with 4 different mounting locations. And I've varified with both ict and by sticking my transdapt plates up to them that I'm using the correct location which is 1" back. I guess what I gathered from your post is that they could be drilled at a different angle? Is that correct? I might just swap out the plates and see what I come up with from there
Old 08-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cheaptrickelco
You are correct, I'm using the adapter plates from a company not to far from me in Topeka ictbillet. They are an adjustable style with 4 different mounting locations. And I've varified with both ict and by sticking my transdapt plates up to them that I'm using the correct location which is 1" back. I guess what I gathered from your post is that they could be drilled at a different angle? Is that correct? I might just swap out the plates and see what I come up with from there
The fore/aft characteristic of the swap plates won't contribute to the issue you are dealing with, it's the stand-off height of the mounts away from the block that causes the problem; the "V" nature of the block causes the holes for the long horizontal tie bolts to move further apart from each other as you stack plate steel adapters between the block and the engine brackets. You can bolt your engine brackets to your original SB engine and measure the distance between the tie bolt holes in each bracket. The holes must measure close to the same distance apart when the brackets and your swap plates are mounted to your LS engine, or you are going to have difficulties mounting the engine on the clamshells in the car.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Well shoot lol let's say for instance there not close to the same.
What's a guy to do in that case?

Please don't say your boned! Lol
Old 08-04-2016, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Well shoot lol let's say for instance there not close to the same.
What's a guy to do in that case?

Please don't say your boned! Lol
Just buy the Holley G-body swap components.

Andrew
Old 08-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Teching In

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_power/ls_swap_systems/1978-88_gm_g-body_ls_swap_components/parts/12643HKR

I'm assuming these are correct then? I also read it says "do not use original clamshell mounts use anchor part # or aftermarket poly mounts" Will my energy suspension mounts work with these?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://documents.holley.com/199r10708rev2.pdf
Old 08-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Banned

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_power/ls_swap_systems/1978-88_gm_g-body_ls_swap_components/parts/12643HKR
I'm assuming these are correct then? I also read it says "do not use original clamshell mounts use anchor part # or aftermarket poly mounts" Will my energy suspension mounts work with these?
Yes, your Energy Suspension inserts will work with the Hooker G-body engine brackets, but you'll need a Holley 302-2 oil pan to be able to use the Hooker brackets on your car.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Yes, your Energy Suspension inserts will work with the Hooker G-body engine brackets, but you'll need a Holley 302-2 oil pan to be able to use the Hooker brackets on your car.
Do you know if the gm muscle car pan kit will work? Motor was rebuilt and that's the pan I went with
Old 08-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Teching In

"The engine/transmission position provided by this engine swap mounting bracket kit has been developed to be compatible with the
Holley® 302-2 LS oil pan; other OE/aftermarket oil pans may also be compatible."
Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Banned

"The engine/transmission position provided by this engine swap mounting bracket kit has been developed to be compatible with the
Holley® 302-2 LS oil pan; other OE/aftermarket oil pans may also be compatible."
I can't say as I never test fit any pan other than the Holley pans during the development of Hooker swap systems. One thing I can tell you however is you're really going to hate how far that muscle car pan hangs below the engine crossmember.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Teching In

How much lower do those mounts bring the motor? Or the pan?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much lower do those mounts bring the motor? Or the pan?
If you search around, I seem to recall someone else trying to use the LH8 (Muscle car) pan on a g-body. Not sure what they used for mounts, but that pan hung a good 2" below the front crossmember. I suggest selling it off and put that money towards the Holley pan and the rest of their swap components because it is all engineered to work together as a system (plus trans mounts, headers, and exhaust). This really takes the guess work out of trying to figure out what works with what, etc....

Andrew
Old 08-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
If you search around, I seem to recall someone else trying to use the LH8 (Muscle car) pan on a g-body. Not sure what they used for mounts, but that pan hung a good 2" below the front crossmember. I suggest selling it off and put that money towards the Holley pan and the rest of their swap components because it is all engineered to work together as a system (plus trans mounts, headers, and exhaust). This really takes the guess work out of trying to figure out what works with what, etc....

Andrew

I totally see your point and to be honest it's sounding like that's the best way to go. But I'm wanting to take my pops in the car he bought brand new to drag week this year. In like a month lol (just to watch not race) and can't come up with that much money that quickly. I mean it's a shot in the dark I'm gonna be able to make it anyways! Is there any other style mount that will work and get my 5.3 in my El co without splurging out basically a grand? ... If I had 6 months I'd do just as you suggested but unfortunately I'm on a time crunch
Old 08-04-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I totally see your point and to be honest it's sounding like that's the best way to go. But I'm wanting to take my pops in the car he bought brand new to drag week this year. In like a month lol (just to watch not race) and can't come up with that much money that quickly. I mean it's a shot in the dark I'm gonna be able to make it anyways! Is there any other style mount that will work and get my 5.3 in my El co without splurging out basically a grand? ... If I had 6 months I'd do just as you suggested but unfortunately I'm on a time crunch
Just use the Holley mounts and the LH8 pan for now. I believe it will not interfere with the crossmember, but just hang low at the sump.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Sbc clamshell question