Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM for 4l60e controlling 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM for 4l60e controlling 4l80e

Hi, thanks again for any one who is willing to help.

I have to get my swap through the state emissions guy. Donor motor is from 2005 sierra 2500hd, lq4 w/ 4l80e. Since it is a motor from a heavy duty truck going to light duty truck, it is sort of a no-no. Guy may pass me since emissions equipment is the same, but I'd rather not leave anything to a maybe.

Most economical solution I have is to swap a pcm from a denali or the like from a similar year and just let it be. But, since the denalis will have a 4l60e, is that a problem making my vehicle drive and getting through emissions? I have to have the program locked with no changes....not sure how they check it....

Other option is to buy hptuners and burn 4 credits and change vin of the donor motor....
Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Post what state you are in,any info you get from anywhere else is pretty much useless.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Teching In

colorado.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Could you please be a bit more vague in your question? What exactly are you trying to do and what do you have?

Can you control a 4L80E with a 4L60E PCM? Yes. The PCM's can be the same but the calibration differs. My truck has this very setup and I tuned it with HP Tuners.

You have a 2005 engine / transmission / PCM - got it.
What vehicle is it in? What engine and PCM did the original vehicle have in it?

Depending on the answer to the vehicle question potentially changes the route you take to make it appear legal.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Sorry, I've never done well at communicating...

Vehicle, 97 landcruiser. Swapping in lq4 w/ 4l80e. Donor truck was 2500 sierra. CO (actually the EPA) has issue with a motor from a heavy duty truck (2500 HD) going to a light duty truck (my landcruiser).

I need to get my swap inspected, in which the inspector plugs in and makes sure all monitors are showing ready, no codes are being thrown, he'll check exhaust, visually verify all emissions equipment, check casting numbers on heads and he somehow verifies the computer is locked and has not been tampered with. Not sure what he uses....?

So, I bought a pcm off of a 2005 escalade (same year as my donor motor), the question is, will the escalade computer run the 4l80e transmission without a tune? I get that a tune is ideal, but I just need to get through this inspection and emissions test (I/M 240).

If not, can I change the VIN with either EFIlive or hptuners on my 2500 sierra computer and no one will know?
Old 08-26-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't think there is any way that they can tell that you did a segment swap, or did a tune. I mean, worst case, he say no go, and you "Get all mad", and say "I paid that damn guy", "Alright, sorry, let me get this fixed."

Maybe I am wrong, because I had "Heard" that same kind of thing through Ford at one time, but never had any verification.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Teching In

that's what I'm kind of starting to learn. they can check to see all components are "ready" and not throwing codes. They can see if the pcm is "locked," but they won't actually look at the programming. How do they know if it is "factory locked" or can they just see "locked/unlocked"? VATS is sort of something I need to screw with as well....
Old 08-26-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Let's start by stating that I know absolutely zero about Colorado specific emissions testing requirements.

With HP Tuners (I own and use the product) I know you absolutely will NOT be able to change to the Toyota VIN in their software. I am able to change the VIN to any VIN that correlates to something valid for the PCM I'm using. However, their software does have the ability to change transmission controls the way you desire. I have actually done both of these tasks on my own vehicles.

With EFI Live I have HEARD (I do not own nor do I use this product) you can change the VIN to anything. I have not witnessed this and I do not own the product or know anyone directly who does to confirm this. I'm also told they have a similar ability to change the transmission controls. Again I can not confirm anything about EFI Live as I don't own or use the product.

I have read that some places do a visual inspection so the engine would need to LOOK like it was supposed to be there which really isn't hard if you try. Honestly, most of these people aren't "car people," they're people with families to feed and this is their job. Speed parts are easy to spot because they typically LOOK like speed parts so detection is easy. You don't need a college degree to spot them once you know what to look for. I'm not sure if your state is one of those with a visual inspection. In that case, the VIN swap and keeping the engine stock looking would help in that regard by not raising suspicion.

I can tell you this... On a vehicle the age of yours they aren't going to read the PCM and say "woah, you changed x,y,z!!! Fail!" There are simply too many options for each vehicle across too many years to do this. This doesn't even count dealer update flashes to resolve problems. The inspectors are looking for emissions readiness status and emission related codes (non-working O2 sensors, EVAP, EGR, etc.).
Old 08-27-2016, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

here's my fix for **** like this

register it somewhere besides "All of Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson counties, and parts of Adams, Arapahoe, Larimer and Weld counties."

done and done.

Quick Reply: PCM for 4l60e controlling 4l80e