Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soooo.... 4 volts coming back through nss ground??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default soooo.... 4 volts coming back through nss ground??

I am finally to wiring stuff in the car, have retained the factory neutral safety switch, that turns on the reverse lights when shifted in reverse, and disengages the starter circuit if not in park. It still has the gear indicator wires going into the PCM , witch I assume is where the 4/5 volts are comming from??(the switch is wired to ignition hot 12v to power the reverse lights)
It's pin 7 on the neutral safety switch plug(ground) and have traced it back today just to make sure that's the wire it was.
Any ideas? Bad switch, Or????
Old 09-30-2016, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you verified your ground for the switch? Quite frequently I see people think they have voltage on a circuit when the ground is bad, and the meter will show 'X' volts because it's trying to find somewhere to go, and the meter is it. (Layman's terms)

Just a thought.

Jay
Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the response, yea I'm positive it's the ground for nss, I actually seperated every wire of it and traced them to know where they went. This ground was originally spliced in with all the other grounds in the vans engine harness by the intake manifold.
I seperated this ground and ran it inside the car with the wire that does feed the reverse lights (witch does work) . Now im making all final connetions inside the car, and couldn't remember what it was for, even though it was a black wire that I extended and should go to ground , I double checked it and.....it has 4 volts
The nss switch is wired to keyed 12v to power the reverse lights, so I would assume if it was a problem with that, I would see 12v?....
Doesn't the pcm use low voltage signals, like the 4/5 that this "ground" wire is registering ? And just to clarify the gear signal wires connected to the pcm are hooked up as well, I wanted to use all available functions it had.

Anything that can be put in "layman's terms" is appreciated =)
Old 09-30-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

So upon further investigation I shifted positions on the tranny, at the same time watching the voltage change on a test light as follows :
Park 4.1 or 4 2v
Reverse. 4.1 or 4.2v
Neutral. 4.1 or 4.2v
Drive. 4.1 or 4. 2v
Third. 6.4
Second. 4.1 or 4.2v
First. 4.1 or 4.2v

So it's definitely changing, is this normal? I'm just afraid of grounding and screwing up somthing in pcm ?

Last edited by slocaddy; 10-02-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I re-retraced all nss wires again and swapped out another nss switch and it did the same thing, guessing it's normal??

Quick Reply: soooo.... 4 volts coming back through nss ground??