Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hard to tell in pics, will the turbo manifold on passenger side clear stock location a/c like in the F body.? it's mounted on the bottom.
Are the turbo manifold Mustang specific ? I see sets for sale as muscle car swaps. not sure if it's the same. I have a glide so interested in the rear cross over. Most of the kits mount the turbo on the passenger side and cannot run a/c.

Love the pics of the different oil pans, My Champ pan almost sits against my k member, only way to fit a carb and 3" filter under a stock hood. it is interesting how different k members and mounts will effect the height so much.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
Corral.net is a good one. one of the older ones and still does pretty good.
I agree, probably the most popular one.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
hard to tell in pics, will the turbo manifold on passenger side clear stock location a/c like in the F body.? it's mounted on the bottom.
Are the turbo manifold Mustang specific ? I see sets for sale as muscle car swaps. not sure if it's the same. I have a glide so interested in the rear cross over. Most of the kits mount the turbo on the passenger side and cannot run a/c.

Love the pics of the different oil pans, My Champ pan almost sits against my k member, only way to fit a carb and 3" filter under a stock hood. it is interesting how different k members and mounts will effect the height so much.
Hey Bowtieford. The outlet of the Hooker passenger side turbo manifold resides in the same space as a low-mount A/C compressor would, so using the two together is a no-go.

However, care was taken in the design of the turbo set-up to ensure that an A/C compressor could be high-mounted on the right side cylinder head using one of the Holley A/C brackets, which is why I designed the coming turbo mounting bracket we'll be offering to locate the turbo on the driver side of the engine bay to provide A/C compatibility in turbo LS Mustang swaps.

Other cars will likely have different requirements/constraints for mounting a turbo, and I see this product line growing to accommodate those needs in the future.

The turbo manifolds are the same for all applications listed, but there's months of unseen development work (CAD work and physical mock-ups) in the design of the passenger side manifold that made that possible.

I'm glad you get some value out of the oil pan photos...it makes no sense to me why there is such a lack of development documentation associated with a lot of the aftermarket parts being sold.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
I agree, probably the most popular one.
Agreed.

Andrew
Old 06-27-2017, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toddoky
.....it makes no sense to me why there is such a lack of development documentation associated with a lot of the aftermarket parts being sold.
Truthfully, I think a lot of other companies don't want to be so transparent in their development process.

Andrew
Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Truthfully, I think a lot of other companies don't want to be so transparent in their development process.

Andrew
Hey Andrew. I can certainly understand a legitimate need for keeping things closely held when working on proprietary/sensitive/patent-able projects, but engine/transmission mounting components and header tube routing schemes that provide better fitment rarely qualify for such secrecy.

Many companies don't even make photos available showing the fitment of production versions of their products installed on the vehicle after they are released. Most of the ebay store suppliers seem to operate in this way and only show a shot or two of the product laid out off the vehicle for users to get a look at.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toddoky

Many companies don't even make photos available showing the fitment of production versions of their products installed on the vehicle after they are released. Most of the ebay store suppliers seem to operate in this way and only show a shot or two of the product laid out off the vehicle for users to get a look at.
Which tells me that there was very little actual development or just outright reverse engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if knock off Holley swap components show up someday, if they haven't already.

Andrew
Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

Which tells me that there was very little actual development or just outright reverse engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if knock off Holley swap components show up someday, if they haven't already.

Andrew
Yep, already have by that other legacy header brand that starts with an "H"
Old 06-28-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Andrew
I've been saying for many years that there is virtually no real engineering in the automotive aftermarket. I think the first time I said it was on the corral somewhere back in 1996/1997? The Holley parts will get copied at some point.

For Toddoky, the problem is not so much the copiers in the market, it is the market itself. For a coyote swap into a Fox, all the required parts are available via the OEM or aftermarket from an SN95 or new edge car, and contributing to the issue is the fact that the Fox Mustang market itself is full of people who only want to pay near zero dollars for any component. It's not like a cross platform LS swap where no individual component works without specific use case verification during assembly. The OEM and aftermarket 4.6L k members will bolt into a Fox, will accept OEM mod motor engine mounts, and there are several types of aftermarket headers that are available already that are built around that geometry. This does not deal with the brake booster issue, but most people end up manual brakes or OEM hydraboost.

I'm not saying it is not worth it to compete somewhere in that market. I'm sure you can find a product to offer in a competitive manner. What I am saying, is I don't believe Fox mustang owners will be willing to pay a price premium for component quality and system level V&V, in the same way that owners of other vehicles are willing to.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

Thanks for providing your opinion usdmholden. We have commited to doing things a bit differently on the Coyote swap in order to accomplish the swap in practical ways that have not been done to this point.

That has begun with doing the swap on the stock K-member, which required some forethought to be able to adapt the 4.6L mod motor mounts to the Fox K-member (or Maximum Motorsports 5.0L K-member), which as you know has lower frame stands that are located further forward on the K-member and at different angles than the mod motor specific K-members (50 degree pad angle compared to the 45 degree angle of the mod motor pad angle).

Solving that problem required designing a new Coyote oil pan as no existing pan on the market, or the stock Coyote pan, has a front height that is low enough to let the engine be installed at a height that permits optimized U-joint operating angles to be achieved on the stock K-member.

I will be providing compatibility with aftermarket K-members in this swap like I did with the LS swap, and will again be doing so to divorce myself from the design limitations imposed by basing the swap on the use of a mod-motor K-member in the Fox Body.

Specifically, that means the discrete locked-in engine height and set-back, and the decreased header packaging room that is produced by the combined use of the mod motor K-member and the 4.6L engine mounts.

As with the Fox Body LS swap, I will be developing specific engine mounting brackets that mount the Coyote to the Team Z and AJE K-members that use their proprietary triangulated engine stands...this will provide the maximum possible freedom of design in terms of the headers I produce from the effort.

I haven't decided yet if I will be building and managing a build thread for the Coyote swap on one of the Mustang forums yet as doing so takes up a considerable amount of my personal time and it seems as though there has been a major shift to users using facebook to interact and get their info and I don't share their enthusiasm for using that medium...call me old I guess.

Last edited by user 4737373; 06-28-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

yes a lot of has moved to Facebook, but I dislike it because now there are so many sites that any body can make. Plus no categories to fins stuff, I'm so surprised that people use it.
YellowBullet and Corral and LS1tech still seem to draw a good crowd
Old 06-28-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

I've never developed an appreciation for the facebook format and spend as little time as possible there.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd,

Can you divulge where these swap components are being sourced? I understand the Blackheart exhaust components are manufactured stateside, but my oil pan, turbo manifolds, and motor mounts are all Chinese. It isn't mentioned in the product details on the Holley website.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by M_Minnick
Todd,

Can you divulge where these swap components are being sourced? I understand the Blackheart exhaust components are manufactured stateside, but my oil pan, turbo manifolds, and motor mounts are all Chinese. It isn't mentioned in the product details on the Holley website.

Thanks,
Mike
Hello Mike. As you've mentioned, products offered by Holley are sourced from various countries, including many of them being produced here in the US. My responsibilities lie solely with designing products so I don't monitor the purchasing side of the business very closely.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't believe I missed all of this, especially the aftermarket K members, but now I'm rethinking of finding a cheap 5.0L aftermarket K member.
I do have one question for everyone, is the SN95 3.8 V6 factory K member the same as the 5.0L K member? I thought the Fox Body 4 cylinder was different then the 5.0L K member.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Can't believe I missed all of this, especially the aftermarket K members, but now I'm rethinking of finding a cheap 5.0L aftermarket K member.
I do have one question for everyone, is the SN95 3.8 V6 factory K member the same as the 5.0L K member? I thought the Fox Body 4 cylinder was different then the 5.0L K member.

Thanks.
I can give you some good info here. The only aftermarket 5.0L K-member that exactly duplicated the mounting geometry of the factory Fox Body K-member and would allow you to use the Hooker stock K-member engine brackets was the Maximum Motorsports piece. The 5.0L specific K-members from all the other companies had proprietary variations of the stock geometry that prevented them from being able to accept the attachment fastener configuration of the Hooker brackets for the stock K-member. It was because of this, and the fact that the steering racks are dropped 1.25" from the stock position, that the decision was made to design compatible engine brackets for the AJE and Team Z K-members that are configured with the triangulated engine stands only. The stock 86-93 Fox 4 and 8 cylinder K-members are the same in terms of steering rack and engine stand mounting points. The 94-95 V6 and 8 cylinder K-members also feature shared engine and steering rack mounting geometry.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Is the Team Z k member you used the one for a stock fox or the one for an ls swap?
Old 07-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C_Rules
Is the Team Z k member you used the one for a stock fox or the one for an ls swap?
The LS swap one.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

when will the 4l80 mount be on the market?

what about the fox tubo LS manifolds and crossover?

thanks i appreciate the help!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 68roadrunner
when will the 4l80 mount be on the market?

what about the fox tubo LS manifolds and crossover?

thanks i appreciate the help!
I can't say on the crossmember as I don't have a clear view of its progress through the documentation process (another department). As soon as I know something semi-concrete I'll post an estimate on time to release.

The turbo manifolds for the Fox are no different than the Hooker turbo manifolds just released, which can be found on the Holley website under part number 8510HKR.

They were released last month and the entire first production run has been shipped out to fill customer orders. They will begin shipping again once the next production order is received and boxed up. The crossover tubes for the Fox Body are also the same as the ones listed on the Holley website and they have been shipping out as well.

Quick Reply: New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread