Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

People are gonna think you just rebuilt the original motor the way that looks, very nice.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Looks amazing. What didya use to paint the radiaotr? Fins too?. I dont recall.
Its painted with single stage enamel with hardner. I didnt paint the core since its not visible, just the tanks.

Originally Posted by Motown 454
People are gonna think you just rebuilt the original motor the way that looks, very nice.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I got rid of Photobucket and went to Imgur, on there people can comment about the pi.cs, one person said it was good to see I kept the original engine! Lol!!!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Eric what show are hurrying to make it to?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hrdrckclmr
Hey Eric what show are hurrying to make it to?
Back to the Fifties in Minneapolis. Probably wont take it to Des Moines though. Didnt see you at the Power Tour, did you make it out there?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

[QUOTE=ls1nova71;19646020]Its painted with single stage enamel with hardner. I didnt paint the core since its not visible, just the tanks.

QUOTE]

Thanks Eric.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome build man
Old 06-14-2017, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Back to the Fifties in Minneapolis. Probably wont take it to Des Moines though. Didnt see you at the Power Tour, did you make it out there?
No I didn't make it out. THEN as we were leaving the house Sunday power tour was turning onto 131 at Odessa could have watch them go by BUT NO.

I heard you were flogging the Blazer around the cones, and looking fantastic doing it too
Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hrdrckclmr
No I didn't make it out. THEN as we were leaving the house Sunday power tour was turning onto 131 at Odessa could have watch them go by BUT NO.

I heard you were flogging the Blazer around the cones, and looking fantastic doing it too
I'm not sure who you're getting your info from, but there was no flogging around the cones, I don't even think there was any to be flogged?

Anyway, the car is drivable and I have put just a touch over 300 miles on it. Leaving first thing in the morning for Minneapolis so wish me luck everybody!!! I did have to go and buy some new tires for the Nova rally wheels since the ones that were on them were 15 years old and dry rotted pretty bad in the tread area. I figure it's $156 worth of insurance not to have a blow out on the highway.....

I'm not sure the blackwall tires look any better?

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-q61v8ly.jpg

But it's mostly cleaned up and ready to go. At least it's going to have to be good enough!

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-yyatrcq.jpg

Got the seats put in, but nothing else.... Dig that awesome carpet in the front! Had to put something down to keep the heat down a bit as the floors get HOT right above the mufflers. Not sure what GM was thinking when they came up with that design????

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-lrw3y2c.jpg

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-ntopym2.jpg

The next pics I add to this thread will either be in Minnesota or on the side of the road somewhere between here and there. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Right on! And good luck and positive vibrations your way!!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I wish i could be there

I'm not sure who you're getting your info from, but there was no flogging around the cones, I don't even think there was any to be flogged?

Anyway, the car is drivable and I have put just a touch over 300 miles on it. Leaving first thing in the morning for Minneapolis so wish me luck everybody!!! I did have to go and buy some new tires for the Nova rally wheels since the ones that were on them were 15 years old and dry rotted pretty bad in the tread area. I figure it's $156 worth of insurance not to have a blow out on the highway.....

I'm not sure the blackwall tires look any better?

But it's mostly cleaned up and ready to go. At least it's going to have to be good enough!

Got the seats put in, but nothing else.... Dig that awesome carpet in the front! Had to put something down to keep the heat down a bit as the floors get HOT right above the mufflers. Not sure what GM was thinking when they came up with that design????

The next pics I add to this thread will either be in Minnesota or on the side of the road somewhere between here and there. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned!
it's crazy..those days i'm in US,and in the Minnesota . I wish i could meet You and see the car who give me so much inspiration. But i drive up to Fargo /Moorhead in a long planned family reunion. I will do what i can to try to join the car meet on Sunday. Should you be there to sunday, and Which road did you use on Your back trip ?

Last edited by Tarjaei; 06-22-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I made it to the Back to the Fifties show, but have to say it was kind of a disappointment. When I registered for the show, I used the south form so I could pick up my show credentials on the way to the show and not have to drive through the city to the north location. So, when I get there I find out that they had lost my registration, and I was forced to go to the north location anyway because they couldn't get me new ones there. Great, had to drive in the rain and rush hour traffic for almost an hour to get to the north location, and then another hour back south to where my hotel was for the night. Sucked, but I could deal with it. but then the worst part was the people in Minneapolis were just plain rude. while driving in traffic, if you needed to get over, putting on a turn signal was the wrong thing to do because then the cars would just speed up so you couldn't get over, jeeze, is everybody there in a super big hurry to get right behind the car in front of them!

The show was PACKED and the first day I got there late, but my buddies saved me a spot, but it was way out and required a long walk to see any of the show, so the next day we got up early to wait in line to get a better spot. Now, I've never been one to start waiting in line at 4am, but that's what we did. Gates didn't open until 6am, so we pulled off the side of the street behind a long line of cars and waited. About 5:30 or so along comes a car, passes by us and goes up a few cars and squeezes in an opening in the line! I'm like, REALLY???? How F'n rude!!! Not much I could do about it though.... Then at 6am sharp, they open the gates and cars start moving. We were on a side street that T'd on to another street with a traffic light. When it was my turn to go on green, do you think the other cars stopped? Oh hell no!!! Several cars just ran the red light, I had to force my way in. Total rude BS!! The bummer was I had looked forward to this show for a year and busted my *** to get the car there only to have it be kind if a let down due to other peoples inconsiderate ways. Ah, just the world we live in these days I guess......

But anyway, i'll stop ranting now and get on to some pics. First pic is still somewhere in Missouri north bound on I35.

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-n7bzdnl.jpg

At the Iowa border!

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-ugsg8lf.jpg

First bathroom break somewhere in Iowa with my buddies two cars.

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-gltvm12.jpg

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-0iramk3.jpg

At the Minnesota border welcome center, not far now!

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-sqdujef.jpg

And finally at the show. I took these on Sunday after my buddies had headed back home. Apparently I had forgot to take some pics with all three cars at the show...... I know they have some so maybe I'll try and get some from them.

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-n8thy05.jpg

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-6qgyfw4.jpg

On Sunday we went to the Mall of America, and then my GF wanted to go here. If you know what this place is you're better than me! I mean, I know what it is because I was there, but if you'd shown me a pic beforehand and said I'd win a million dollars if I could say what it is, I couldn't have.....

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-nylqody.jpg

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-v0pfsuc.jpg

Stopped at the Kum n Go on the way back. This is the same spot where I took the pics of the crazy ice sculptures on the hubcaps of my rusty '71 swb back in February. It was slightly warmer that day, but still cold for June....

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-4emaoxd.jpg

Pulled in the drive way and she's got a little over 1400 miles on her. Not too bad for a first time out. It does have a shudder when taking off and a vibration at around 65 mph or so that I need to look into, but for now I think I'm going to take a break. I'll get it finished up hopefully before the show in Ottawa Kansas in September.

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-0gzwsbp.jpg
Old 06-27-2017, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tarjaei
it's crazy..those days i'm in US,and in the Minnesota . I wish i could meet You and see the car who give me so much inspiration. But i drive up to Fargo /Moorhead in a long planned family reunion. I will do what i can to try to join the car meet on Sunday. Should you be there to sunday, and Which road did you use on Your back trip ?
Sorry I missed you if you were at the show on Sunday. We didn't stay too long because of the rain and cold.....
Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks about your adventures getting into the show. Good news that you had minimal issues with the car.

OK, what is the white building with the 7801 address number?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Wedding planning store. I think shes' dropping hints.lol
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

People are so ignorant driving like that. When I saw the first picture of the Red Wagon I thought wow what's the chances seeing another 59 2 door, The there were three!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air cleaner and oil fill tube painted and installed. Really makes the engine look cool.

That is just absolutely beautiful...
Old 06-28-2017, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by aggie91
OK, what is the white building with the 7801 address number?
Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Wedding planning store. I think shes' dropping hints.lol
Not quite Jimbo! I figured someone would have googled it by now.... It's O(-+>'s house/recording studio. Everyone knows who that is right? It's Prince in case you don't know the symbol.

So today I decided to try and polish the car. started with some CLR mixed 50/50 in warm water and scrubbed with a gray Scotchbrite pad. The gray pads are about 600-800 grit, but once you use them some become more like 1000 grit. This removes any surface rust that has bled out over the paint. Once I got it down to just the paint I hit it with the buffer and some Meguire's rubbing compound followed by some swirl mark remover then another pass with some Wizard polish that really makes it shine. It looks great in my opinion, but is A LOT of work! Only got one side of the car done today. Have to finish it now though, cant drive around in a half polished car. LOL You may also notice in the first pic that the front wheels are on it now. I left for the show on Thursday, the wheel showed up on Friday. Just my luck.....

Started with the driver's fender.

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-vdd3kxw.jpg

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-phvgkvu.jpg

Then did half of the hood so I could really see the difference. It doesn't have a lot of paint on it, but what's there did shine up pretty well.

1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon-zzjsbd6.jpg
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Warlock13
That is just absolutely beautiful...
Thanks!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It came out nice. That's a lot of area to cover but it looks like it 's worth it.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you made the trip with no trouble! I grew up a few hours north of Minneapolis and used to drive a roll back down there to pick up cars at auction a few times a week, I feel your pain. "Minnesota nice" doesn't seem to apply around the twin cities area.

Quick Reply: 1959 Biscayne 2 door wagon